Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude1344

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone use this and have any opinions? Dr. Sattar has been frequenting many schools recently and talking up his book. Does this add anything that can't be found in Goljan or FA?

Members don't see this ad.

i started studying about 5 days ago as well. my exam is in august

and all I've heard is (and what i plan on doing) is the following

1. first aid
2. kaplan
3. uworld
4. pathoma

i don't plan on using any other resources. most people say they are overkill. and i think most people would agree with the above resources for a solid score.

i started studying about 5 days ago as well. my exam is in august

and all I've heard is (and what i plan on doing) is the following

1. first aid
2. kaplan
3. uworld
4. pathoma

i don't plan on using any other resources. most people say they are overkill. and i think most people would agree with the above resources for a solid score.

what resources are you using with kaplan?

Guys i need some help here.
I've gone through Goljan RR twice, Goljan audios once and annotated some essential stuff from Goljan into FA.
Now i just want to see what pathoma is all about.
So what is the best way to proceed with pathoma, keeping in mind everything i've done so far for path? Watch only the lectures or get through the book as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've gone through Goljan RR twice, Goljan audios once and annotated some essential stuff from Goljan into FA.
So what is the best way to proceed with pathoma, keeping in mind everything i've done so far for path? Watch only the lectures or get through the book as well?

the pathoma book and the online videos match up pretty closely. the videos are worth watching though because dr. sattar puts things in a way that just makes sense (i.e., you'll remember the material better having listened to him), much like goljan does, but everything's a lot more simplified. pathoma is like blue's clues for med students.

Download VLC player, watch it at least in 2x if not 2.2x speed. This'll not only help you get through it quicker but at that speed I find I actually pay better attention, so I don't miss anything.

The simple crap he does with MS paint is just gold, at least it has been for my understanding

wow...im expecting a right bar in the path and pathophysio portions of the exam...even want the asterisk sign as well...

what do you guys recommend supplementing for CNS portion besides goljan? also, what do you recommend I use for behavioral (i currently have BRS)? thanks!

Hey guys,as an older img,I'm aiming high and have a weak base in pathology. Would pathoma be enough for me?

Thanks.

Hey guys,as an older img,I'm aiming high and have a weak base in pathology. Would pathoma be enough for me?

Thanks.

I don't know about "enough"--but a very good supplement indeed. If your path is truly weak I would go through Goljan Rapid Review as well. Pathoma is a wonderful summary and concise but sometimes a little too thin in some subjects (cardiology IMO). I hope you're using a qbank like UWORLD too.
Good luck.

Thanks.

Pathoma is a damn good starting point to building a good foundation for path. So here's what I recommend:

1. Get Pathoma and read/watch videos.
2. Download Goljan's audio and listen to it.
3. Read respective topic in rapid review..notice i said topic not chapter
4. Read respective topic in first aid

Reactions: 1 user
Im sorry if this has been hashed out and rehashed in this thread...but is there really that much difference in pathoma and goljan rr? Ive been using pathoma alongside of my classes and annotating into it from lectures/textbooks...would it be worth the extra time to read through rr?

Goljan has about 3x the detail as Pathoma, but there are some "facts" that are just wrong and outdated. Be on the watch for these. Mostly I pick them up because I recognize they are things I was taught 15 years ago in PA school that we now know are not true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the subscription lengths and pricing weren't very different. To actually complete Pathoma Lectures would require maybe a week? Then you own the book so you have all the time in the world to review it with all the annotations from lectures. I never reviewed the lectures more than once just the book so I imagine the shortest time to subscribe and done at the time of you starting your Pathology review would be the best value for money.

I would also like to echo the above, Pathoma is a great starting point for pathology and the simplicity of Dr. Sattars explanation allows you to remember even minute details for a very, very long time. Like all the random CD markers he ties in from even Microbiology and the tiny things from the inflammation process like the chemoattractants etc, he really hammers it in very well and he never assumes you know something. If maybe 4-5 lectures down the road he brings up something from inflammation he will quickly review it again. I found supplementing the weak parts of Pathoma with First Aid to be good enough, not the best method i'm sure but it covers all high yield more than adequately.

Does anyone else have advice about the subscription length? Do you find yourself watching the videos for Step I studying?

I know the subscription lengths aren't very different but I'd like to save the money if possible.

Does anyone else have advice about the subscription length? Do you find yourself watching the videos for Step I studying?

I know the subscription lengths aren't very different but I'd like to save the money if possible.

Yea, I'll occasionally watch the videos while studying for Step 1. If I'm sick of reading or want to review while eating lunch, this comes in handy.

Have they changed the prices? I'm on my phone, but the most expensive subscription was like $120 for 21 (?) months and like $99 for 1 year. In the grand scheme of medical education costs, that's nothing. It's arguably the best investment you'll make in M2 year (best of the first two years for me, so far).

Does pathoma updated their videos of 19 chapters and also pathoma book? what about errata? anyone have idea...

am planning to purchase subscription..should i wait for updated videos

Does pathoma updated their videos of 19 chapters and also pathoma book? what about errata? anyone have idea...

am planning to purchase subscription..should i wait for updated videos

You access the videos online. So if he updates a video you would have automatic access to it. That being said, I've watched all the videos and they are all top notch. The book is great too and errata is very small. Definitely no need to wait for an update if one is even coming.

You access the videos online. So if he updates a video you would have automatic access to it. That being said, I've watched all the videos and they are all top notch. The book is great too and errata is very small. Definitely no need to wait for an update if one is even coming.

I heard he was working on the next edition. Dont know when it will be out.

I heard he was working on the next edition. Dont know when it will be out.

I read at pathoma facebook page that pathoma book next edition/updated videos is most likely in August and pathoma mentioned that for any update videos current subscribers just need to pay extra small amount and no need to pay full.

Yes, i agree with you and have decided to subscribe pathoma videos. I think it is not a good idea to wait for updated videos( August 2013). As per pathoma facebook post, for current subscribers there will be an option of getting updated videos just by paying little payment

That's stupid that you would have to pay more for the new videos, he has said in the past that an updates to the videos would be free for current subscribers.

Here's what I've been doing (and I think it's working really well in helping me understand/retain the material):

1) Read the Pathoma chapter first.
2) Watch the lecture at 1.0x and annotate into the book (and I take pretty extensive notes).
3) Re-read the Pathoma chapter, along with what I've annotated.
4) Read the corresponding section in RR Path.
5) Re-watch the Pathoma lecture at 1.4x or 1.7x (depending on how comfortable I am with the material).

(6) Then, the week before the exam, go over the Pathoma chapters and lecture handouts to pick up additional details covered in class, but that weren't found in Pathoma/RR.)

I also mix in Robbin's Review of Path and WebPath questions along the way (I usually do this when I'm eating). I don't generally go to class or stream class lectures, so studying in this manner doesn't take up as much of my day as it would if I did attend lecture.

I spread this out over the course of a week or two, so I'm seeing the same things everyday/every other day -- this spacing out helps me retain the info, IMO, much better and I wish I did that more with M1 year courses. It's been working out really well so far, IMHO, and not as time-consuming as I initially thought it might be -- doing Pathoma first, before going through RR, makes going through RR a lot quicker, since the conceptual foundation has already been laid down and all I'm really doing is picking up more details and looking at the pictures.

I only wish that Pathoma covered some other topics that classes and RR/Robbin's cover (ex. genetic diseases, nutritional/environmental diseases). It would be great if something like this existed for micro also! But CMMRS definitely helps out in that subject.

oye kaushik tusi great ho :naughty::smuggrin::laugh::laugh:

That's stupid that you would have to pay more for the new videos, he has said in the past that an updates to the videos would be free for current subscribers.

I dont think thats correct. Based on the facebook postings, it seems like you can view the updated videos, but pay a small fee for the updated book.

"we hope to release a new version of the text in early August; but users always have access to the most current set of videos. When we release the new version, we will provide a low-cost upgrade option for current users to obtain the new version if they want."

All this pathoma hype is really starting to get to me, given my atrocious heme scores.

I did 50% of it in school (the videos)~ don't know how much I retained in 9 months. Step 1 is next week for me, I definitely think I'll speed read through it and do heme/anemias, cardio and general but are there any must must watch videos?

I feel like he did put a lot of the important stuff in the book already, but are there any particular videos where you guys feel he did something truly incredible in the videos that cannot be attained from just reading his text?

I dont think thats correct. Based on the facebook postings, it seems like you can view the updated videos, but pay a small fee for the updated book.

"we hope to release a new version of the text in early August; but users always have access to the most current set of videos. When we release the new version, we will provide a low-cost upgrade option for current users to obtain the new version if they want."

Yes it seems current subscribers can get access to updated videos free but need to pay small price for updated pathoma book ( they may release in August 2013 ).

Below are exact text what pathoma posted over face book on June 4,2013 as a reply to user question.

"we hope to release a new version of the text in early August; but users always have access to the most current set of videos. When we release the new version, we will provide a low-cost upgrade option for current users to obtain the new version if they want"

I seriously hope he makes a review book for Step 2. I remember somebody asking him on Facebook, and he said there were no current plans for it, lol. :(

That was my understanding as well, I think the other users were misinformed.

Well I just emailed Pathoma about their new edition.

This is what I asked them

"Hi,

I read on studentdoctor.net that there will be an updated book and videos available in August. Do you guys have a date for the update yet? Also, will current subscribers have access to the new updated videos free of charge? I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a 1 year subscription now or wait a month for the new material to come out. Thank you for your time!"

And this is what they replied (and that too within 5 minutes lol...kinda impressed)

"We plan to start shipping the updated 2013 version within the next 5-7 days, so if you order anytime after Monday, you will receive the updated version with your order. The online videos are updated regularly, but the most recent edition of the videos are always available to current subscribers.

thanks,

Pathoma.com Staff
http://www.pathoma.com"

So yes, videos are updated and available to everyone. And if you order after tomorrow, you get the new book as well.

"Hi,

I read on studentdoctor.net that there will be an updated book and videos available in August. Do you guys have a date for the update yet? Also, will current subscribers have access to the new updated videos free of charge? I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a 1 year subscription now or wait a month for the new material to come out. Thank you for your time!"

And this is what they replied (and that too within 5 minutes lol...kinda impressed)

"We plan to start shipping the updated 2013 version within the next 5-7 days, so if you order anytime after Monday, you will receive the updated version with your order. The online videos are updated regularly, but the most recent edition of the videos are always available to current subscribers.

thanks,

Pathoma.com Staff

So yes, videos are updated and available to everyone. And if you order after tomorrow, you get the new book as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

"Hi,

thanks,

Pathoma.com Staff

Perfect, I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

are the videos recorded again, or will they be the same.... will they add more content in the new videos?

Has anyone tried contacting them about paying for the new text edition yet? Thinking about doing that tomorrow morning.

Even though Step 1 is over I will be interested to see what Sattar will do with the 2nd edition given the smash success of his first one.

I would say that Pathoma was at least as important as FA for Step 1.

Has anyone tried contacting them about paying for the new text edition yet? Thinking about doing that tomorrow morning.

I contacted them and was told that the new book will be $10+S&H for anyone who received an older edition and wants a new one.

They also said that the errata have been corrected in the new edition, and that a few updates are added (no new chapters or sections). It should not vary drastically from the older edition.

Hope that helps.

I contacted them and was told that the new book will be $10+S&H for anyone who received an older edition and wants a new one.

They also said that the errata have been corrected in the new edition, and that a few updates are added (no new chapters or sections). It should not vary drastically from the older edition.

Hope that helps.

Yes that helps a lot. I'm going to contact them now. Thanks.

I ordered Pathoma last week and it just got delivered today. It is definitely the new (2013) edition.

rsz_img_0671.jpg

I just got an updated text (pre-existing subscription). It was ~$18 overall, including S+H. After flipping through it, I'd say it's definitely not necessary to upgrade. Everything looks very similar. It even has the exact same number of pages as the original text. I mainly bought it because the previous errors were corrected.

I just got an updated text (pre-existing subscription). It was ~$18 overall, including S+H. After flipping through it, I'd say it's definitely not necessary to upgrade. Everything looks very similar. It even has the exact same number of pages as the original text. I mainly bought it because the previous errors were corrected.

Is there anything new in the 2013 Edition or did he just fix the errors?

Is there anything new in the 2013 Edition or did he just fix the errors?

I flipped through both a little more carefully and really didn't see much. The images are identical, no additions. All of the tables are the same, though I didn't check the content word-for-word. I noticed a few instances of where the text outline was slightly different between the books, so I think there are a few additions/clarifications... but I'd say those are the exception rather than the rule.

I flipped through both a little more carefully and really didn't see much. The images are identical, no additions. All of the tables are the same, though I didn't check the content word-for-word. I noticed a few instances of where the text outline was slightly different between the books, so I think there are a few additions/clarifications... but I'd say those are the exception rather than the rule.

Gotcha. I went through my 1st edition tonight and added all of the errors posted online. There were a few clarifications that I added in the margin, so at this point I don't think it is totally worth it to upgrade. However, $20 is nothing. Oh, decisions...

Gotcha. I went through my 1st edition tonight and added all of the errors posted online. There were a few clarifications that I added in the margin, so at this point I don't think it is totally worth it to upgrade. However, $20 is nothing. Oh, decisions...

I don't regret buying it, but my honest opinion is that it's not essential. I'd be willing to bet any clarification added to the text is mentioned in the videos anyway. I just wanted the corrections. I also got a little carried away with the highlighting and so having a fresh slate wasn't a bad idea for me :laugh:

I don't regret buying it, but my honest opinion is that it's not essential. I'd be willing to bet any clarification added to the text is mentioned in the videos anyway. I just wanted the corrections. I also got a little carried away with the highlighting and so having a fresh slate wasn't a bad idea for me :laugh:

:laugh: I hear ya. It happens... more often than I care to admit.

I usually go through Pathoma about 3 times before block exams. What's a good 2nd source to use? Resources that I have are Goljan audio transcript with pictures, rapid review pathology and Kaplan pathology book.

When does the new version of the book usually come out? I'm considering starting a 1yr sub this summer, but I don't want to buy the 2013 if the 2014 is going to come out the very next day or week.