Patient complaining of immunization side effect, malpractice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask for some comments on the more experienced pharms regarding my situation. I posted something similar before but wanted to provide more detail. I gave a IM shot on a patient who complains of limited range of movement and pain roughly 3 weeks later and went to urgent care. The providers there told her it was common for a shot and said it was tendonitis and was given medro pack. She was told, by another Rph, that the shot was possibly given too high on the deltoid. I researched information on it and I guess it is possible to cause tendonitis if given too high. I was told that recently she came back for another shot and was implying or hinting for us to give her money for her urgent care visit and possible physical therapy since she still doesn't have the same range of motion. I was told to document in case it goes to corporate. I'm not familiar with this but I thought every patient has to sign a waiver form before a shot. Also, does anyone know if malpractice insurance is given when hired? I wasn't told about malpractice when first hired but my friend rph said that companies (retails) have malpractice insurance for the pharmacy/pharmacist, regardless even if full time or part time. I did see the patient a few weeks back and apologized. I just started not too long ago and my law prof drilled horror stories about rph being sued/losing licensed for the duration of our education but I know things aren't the same in practice so I would like to hear from the more experienced pharmacist about my situation so I won't try to over think this.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not the owner of this store. This is referred to your boss. The pharmacy supervisor, district manager or store owner and they will deal with the patient. There will be no need for malpractice. There is not enough damages for any lawyer to take this...

Reactions: 1 users
What Old Timer said. Realistically, if she complains to corporate, they probably will pay her bill & give her a $25.00 gift certificate or something. You won't ever be sued, because corporate will smooth things over with her. Almost certainly, you are insured through your work place (you can always ask your pharmacy supervisor to be sure.) Myself, I also carry a personal malpractice insurance.

Reactions: 1 users
CVS will take care of it if you work for them.... anything like this should be forwarded by your supervisor to risk management asap.

If it does come to you which it wont...., you are covered under VICP...

Reactions: 1 user
For Walgreens its the same, all info should be sent to pharmacy supervisor. It's doubtful if a lawsuit occurs. I assume you aren't the rxm so he or she should take over. Walgreens does give malpractice insurance but I to have my own. It's cheap and makes you feel secure that you don't lose everything after all the work you put it.

For Walgreens its the same, all info should be sent to pharmacy supervisor. It's doubtful if a lawsuit occurs. I assume you aren't the rxm so he or she should take over. Walgreens does give malpractice insurance but I to have my own. It's cheap and makes you feel secure that you don't lose everything after all the work you put it.

Do you mean you got one in addition to the one from walgreens? I'm only a part time so idk if I do get malpractice insurance...

The patient got a "bad" shot, that "injured" them, yet a few weeks later they came back for another one?

Yet another reason not to get the flu shot besides the fact that there is no reliable data which says it actually prevents the flu. Mortality figures today are the same today as they were 15 years ago in the US despite the mass vaccination effort. Upside is that it's great for business and we can now be part of the healthcare team. We are advancing pharmacy.

Yet another reason not to get the flu shot besides the fact that there is no reliable data which says it actually prevents the flu. Mortality figures today are the same today as they were 15 years ago in the US despite the mass vaccination effort. Upside is that it's great for business and we can now be part of the healthcare team. We are advancing pharmacy.

Are you a pharmacist?

Do you mean you got one in addition to the one from walgreens? I'm only a part time so idk if I do get malpractice insurance...

I bought my own just in case something happens and Walgreens refuses to take care of it. You dont have insurance with Walgreens they just take of most things. Also, most lawyers won't go after pharmacists since the company is where the money is at and they want paid right away. From the lawsuits I've seen it will say if you don't have insurance, let us know so we dont pursuit the case.

I bought my own just in case something happens and Walgreens refuses to take care of it. You dont have insurance with Walgreens they just take of most things. Also, most lawyers won't go after pharmacists since the company is where the money is at and they want paid right away. From the lawsuits I've seen it will say if you don't have insurance, let us know so we dont pursuit the case.
Please read the policy carefully......

The patient got a "bad" shot, that "injured" them, yet a few weeks later they came back for another one?

Is that surprising? I've seen many patients who tell me my pharmacy is the "worst pharmacy ever", that they "always" have bad service, that they always have "trouble" with my pharmacy that they don't have anywhere else (all this is usually after they can't get the controlled RX filled 10 days early or something)......and yet these people keep coming back, month after month. Even though the whole area is glutted with pharmacies and they could literally walk across the street to another pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 user

If you are not a pharmacist, your liability would be pretty much nil. Its your supervising pharmacist who would get sued (if it actually went to a lawsuit, which it wouldn't), extremely unlikely it would be you. Technician ins is available, and is about $35/year. Normally I would say a technician has no need of ins, but if you are engaging in expanded duties such as actually administering vaccines (some thing which very few states allow technicians/interns to do), then I think you should look into getting a policy for yourself.