Patient Interaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gator05

Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know several persons have said anesthesia is for those who DON'T want much patient interaction. Is there a converse argument, that anesthesia offers you plenty patient interaction if you want it, but not the traditional bedside or primary care type? I'm not just talking about watching them sleep, either!

I've seen some great docs who spent some quality time pre (and post) op with their patients, and was wondering if anyone else has witnesssed the same?

Would be interested to hear everyone's opinion!

Members don't see this ad.

in general, anesthesia has short-lived patient interactions with patients. but i think, although short, the interaction is very intense. think about it. if you're heading to surgery, wouldn't you want to have confidence in the anesthesiologist putting you to sleep? i'm sure a caring and amiable anesthesiologists can often lower the anxiety level of the patients, especially for ob patients who are awake during their c-sections. for all the medicine ward rotations that i have done in the past, i don't think the interaction with patients is necessarily any more intense or longer. patient rounds last a long time, not because we talk to patients, but because we talk about the patient (behind the patient's back). most of the attendings just peek their heads inside the door to say hello.

if you want patient interaction, do a rotation in the ICU or SICU. those patients stay there so long (days to months!) that they can forward their mail there. those patients in the SICU, who aren't sedated and intubated, know that they are sick. they know that codes happen all the time in the unit. so the patients that i met in the SICU were very happy to have the time talking to the attendings and residents. even in the SICU, the attendings just peeked their heads in the rooms. but anyways...yes the patient interaction is there. it is what you make of it.

Thanks for the reply. I have seen some great compassion in our SICU, and was pretty impressed with the level of patient care. Also like the idea of being able to work part time in the SICU, and spend the other part of your time in the OR. Strikes a rather neat balance, I would think...