Pay disparity between PP and hospital employed anesthesiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmado

PharmaDo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The trend in anesthesiology seems to be PP groups selling out vs hospitals employing their own anesthesia providers. Since hospital employed anesthesia is growing in popularity, but is still a newer trend, I was hoping someone could comment on the pay gap. I saw a listing recently for a hospital employed position paying 350k for 5 calls/month, 40 hr work week. Extra pay of $65/hr for call, $168/hr for call when in hospital. Considering a 40 hr work week, this seems on par with PP pay in many groups. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are an employee in this business, you are getting screwed. The only difference is the size of the screw. Shop around for the smallest size and best fit.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are an employee in this business, you are getting screwed. The only difference is the size of the screw. Shop around for the smallest size and best fit.
How do you determine the size of the screw? Also, isn't any employee in any business technically getting screwed?

Members don't see this ad :)
The trend in anesthesiology seems to be PP groups selling out vs hospitals employing their own anesthesia providers. Since hospital employed anesthesia is growing in popularity, but is still a newer trend, I was hoping someone could comment on the pay gap. I saw a listing recently for a hospital employed position paying 350k for 5 calls/month, 40 hr work week. Extra pay of $65/hr for call, $168/hr for call when in hospital. Considering a 40 hr work week, this seems on par with PP pay in many groups. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Find the bet job you can in a location you consider acceptable. I would highly recommend giving up location for a better paying job but to each his/her own. As for what is fair compensation that is determined by the location. Please don't forget to include the benefit packages when comparing jobs as they can be worth $50K in some situations.

So, $400K total pay plus $50K benefit package is decent in this field.

Reactions: 2 users
How do you determine the size of the screw? Also, isn't any employee in any business technically getting screwed?
Just an employee who would be able to work solo and/or found his own business had this been a free market. The main thing that keeps anesthesiologists employed is the crony capitalism that dominates the healthcare and anesthesia markets. It's not like we need bean counting babysitters to create jobs for us. It's just that you cannot get privileges to practice your job while certain anesthesia groups are given exclusive contracts. Compare this with being a programmer, or an accountant, for example.

Don't misunderstand me: I am all for free market capitalism, just not the old boys' clubs and big corporations in quasi-monopoly positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find the bet job you can in a location you consider acceptable. I would highly recommend giving up location for a better paying job but to each his/her own. As for what is fair compensation that is determined by the location. Please don't forget to include the benefit packages when comparing jobs as they can be worth $50K in some situations.

So, $400K total pay plus $50K benefit package is decent in this field.
I would add that the higher salary also tends to reflect the higher need of the organization for the employee, hence the higher appreciation etc.

Just to add. It depends on payer mix/speed of surgeons turnover time etc.

If u got 60-70% Medicare. 10-15% Medicaid. And only around 10-15% commercial insurance. And no subsidy.

The simple math says even with around 15000 units. You are looking at around $30/unit (Medicaid and Medicare drag down the billing units big time).

That takes you to around $450k. No bad. But who knows if you gotta stick around for OB once the epidurals goes in for that Medicaid OB patient.

Who knows how long the surgeons takes or what ur turnover time is.

Throw in hospital increasing demands for further coverage. Either you spend more time providing coverage yourself. Or you have to hire so someone else to provide the extra coverage.

It's not that simple in the fee for service world especially when the payer mix sucks.

Reactions: 3 users