Paying back part of your isp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KungPOWChicken

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you heard about having the ability to pay back a prorated amount of your ISP to get out at your scheduled termination date? For example, getting out August 1st instead of October 1st and paying back 2 months. Someone at my command was able to swing this

Members don't see this ad.

That is the first I have ever heard of it (and it should be 1 July, rather than 1 August for separation date). The common wisdom has always been here that one either gets ISP in the final year, thereby accepting the extra three months of commitment; or forgoes the bonus, but is able to leave after 1 July.

I don't think BUMED would go for it on the Navy side. What might have happened is 60 days of terminal leave or a combination of leave, house hunting and job hunting TAD. That would be something the command could do and get someone out by 1 Aug.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well she's separating in July using 45 days of terminal leave. Her start date was the end of August and she's paying back 2 months of ISP.

Sounds like she got incredibly lucky. I can't imagine this could be reliably reproduced. Otherwise, they'd lose a ton of money on people who would take ISP in October with no intention of staying past July 1st, effectively paying someone 3/4 of ISP for work they would gotten anyway.