Paying For Irish Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grace404

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am hoping someone who currently attends one of the Irish medical schools can help me answer how they were able to pay for their tuition.
I know most obviously payed with loans but did you obtain loans from an irish bank or from your home country. I'm an Irish citizen but I've been living in the US for most of my life, which is why I'm having to apply through the AB program. I know I'm a little early but if I do get accepted next year (praying to God that I will) I want to already have a plan in mind and not have to rush things because from what I hear your not left with alot of time once you receive that acceptance letter.

Members don't see this ad.

i am planning on getting two loans from two canadian banks, cosigners required for both.

Why can't you apply as an Irish and save yourself thousands of dollars?

Some people got loans from 3 banks. Most got 2 bank loans + governmental loans, few got 1 bank loan + their rich parents' money.

Thanks for the replies, but to answer your question, I spent the better half of the last year trying to figure a way to apply as an Irish citizen but because I haven't lived there in so long I am no longer considered a resident, but just a citizen which is necessary to obtain EU fees classification...so I have no other choice. I emailed and called just about every school and they told me this was the way to go for my case.