Paying off loans with larger monthly payments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMmedic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MSII and I'll graduate with approximately $180,000 in loan debt. Everyone talks about paying off loans over x amount of years and accruing massive amounts of interest. If you make let's say $200,000 per year as an attending, why doesn't it make sense to live like a resident for a few more years and put large lump sums towards your loans? For instance, if my salary is $200,000, is it smart to put $100,000 of it in one year towards my eductional debt? Plenty of people live quite comfortably on $100,000. That's still twice the salary of a resident. It seems like that would save me tens of thousands of dollars in the long run...

Members don't see this ad.

I've always thought about that too. My theory is paying off as quick as possible will become much more popular now that people are graduating with debt at 6.8%. In the past, students were consolidating at ~3%. No one would be in a hurry to pay at such a low rate.

Also depends on what else you have debt on and the interest rate on that - house, car, credit cards.

All I can say about this is that plenty of people *plan* to do it, and almost no one actually does. Make of that what you will. My take is that after 8+ grueling years of training, most of us are pretty damn sick of living on a tight budget and a cushier lifestyle feels like a just reward for all those tough years of delayed gratification. Also, once you're through residency, most people are way past ready to get started on their adult lives: getting married, having a kid or two, buying a house, making up for lost retirement savings. What you're proposing is possible, sure, but it's much harder than it sounds, I think.

I'll use myself as an example, because I'm matching this year. I owe $50K, all in Perkins and subsidized Stafford loans. All throughout medical school, I planned to pay this off either before graduation or during my intern year. Now that I'm nearing graduation, that's looking less and less likely. For one thing, I have a child now. Daycare is unholy expensive. For another thing, real estate prices in the area where I'll probably match have taken a serious tumble, so now my husband and I are considering spending the cash we've saved to throw at my student loans on a down payment instead. The increased expense of a potential mortgage will make it much harder to pay down my student loans by thousands of dollars each month. Plus, I'm imaging my life as an exhausted resident and I'm realizing that I'd rather pay off those lonas a bit slower and spend some money on a housekeeper or a more generous food budget (more convenience food, more take-out). And while I'm being honest, I'll admit that I'd like to take my little family on a nice beach vacation (Hawaii or Mexico, maybe) duing my precious vacation time during intern year. Life happens, you know? It's very easy to imagine that you'll stay on a strict budget indefinitely, but it's hard to actually do it.

Also, don't forget about taxes. Once you're an attending, if you're single with no kids and presumably you're renting a place to live (since you're "living like a resident"), you're going to pay 35-40% of your income in taxes. So there goes, say, $75K of the $200K. Now you're down to $125K ... if you pay off $90K/year, that leaves $35K to live on, which is probably close to what you were making after-taxes as a resident (none of this "double" your residency salary business). So in your case it'll take two additional years or so of "living like a resident" to pay off the loans, assuming that your estimate of $180K is a good estimate of the capitalized amount when you finish residency. If you arrived at that figure by multiplying your MS1 borrowing by four years, it's way off. Even so, you could probably eliminate the debt in 2-3 years post residency if you were making $200K and literally didn't change your lifestyle at all.

Good luck. I'm sorry to be discouraging, and maybe you really are the person who can pull this off. But you're certainly not the first to consider it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another key thing you should consider : inflation.

A loan at 6.8% is not increasing in size at 6.8%, in real dollars it is only increasing by 6.8% - inflation for that year.

Typically, inflation is about 3%.

So, each year your delay paying back $200k in loans means that you add about $8000 in interest changes in real dollars to the debt. Compared to 200k income, that's not really very much money. It's perfectly rational to pay the debt back as slowly as you possibly can.

Sure, you can pay off your student loans early. I have actually paid occasional extra or early payments on my student loans.
I think your idea of 100k/year isn't very realistic though, unless maybe you do ortho or radiology. A lot of docs don't even get paid 200k, anyway. Even if you do, assume 40% will be gone from federal and state taxes. That leaves 120k-125k. Out of that you need to pay all your living expenses, other expenses like house or car payment and daycare if you have kids, etc. So maybe 30-50k per year would be more realistic, depending on where you live.

Habeed's point is important too. A lot of us borrowed a bunch of money at 3% interest...at that rate it isn't necessarily good to try to pay it off superfast...it might be OK now that the stock market is tanking, but when the stock market was making 10% year increases and even CD's were 4%, it would make more sense to invest some of the money.

Another thought on the loans..

If you could pay everything off by living like a resident for a few more years..

Why?

What's the benefit of making 200K and living like you're making 50K for 3-5 years, instead of making 200K and living like you're making 120K for 10 years? Is the intent to retire a few years early, or donate more to the charity of your choice? If not, and presuming you'll be a physician for decades, it may be more reasonable to pay off your loans a little quicker, and sock away a larger chunk into a retirement plan, and live at a level that is reasonable rather than ramen.

Given this career will (hopefully) provide a stable income that's comfortably high, why not try to more closely match the cost of this (debt) with the benefits (a high income for the decades until you retire)

I think it's a matter of principle for some people (no pun intended). Do I really want to throw away hundreds of thousands in extra interest over the course of repaying a student loan by paying at a minimum? Coming from a poor background, I think it's usury to be paying back prinicipal + 150+% in total interest.

Plus, why should I be rewarding these unscrupulous, dirtbags in the financial industry anyway? They've sucked the life out of the whole economy and have made no apologies or shown any inclination to change. I'd rather enrich myself over the long run than scummy lenders.

username...I don't totally disagree with you.
I think you have to find the happy medium.
Some people can't pay off their loans as quickly either, due to having multiple kids and a nonworking spouse, etc. Depending on where you live in the US, a single person can often live quite well on 50-60k.

I was raised to think it was "bad" to be in debt, so still having the 120k student loans hanging over my head 5 years after graduating sucks...but I chose fellowship and I have to just try not to think about the debt too much and know that I can pay it off more quickly when I'm done.

I personally think that interns and residents should start paying off their student loans (at least the interest) ASAP because otherwise you are just giving more money to the bank. I'm not paying extra payments, but now that I'm a fellow I feel like I can easily afford my $540/month payments and that I should pay them. And it makes me feel safer...I mean nobody can guarantee that when I'm 40 or 45 I won't get sick or something, or maybe someone in my family will need to borrow money. I'd rather get rid of the student loans ASAP (though not @the expense of saving for retirement, etc.).

Thanks for all your replies. I realize my original post may be somewhat naive and overly optimistic. I agree with folks who say that life happens and that family, house, car etc. can take a lot out of the paycheck (as well as taxes). Its probably not as easy as it sounds to pay off loans like I wrote about, however, I still feel like it makes sense to live on as much of a budget as possible and pay off the loans. It seems like I'd be throwing money away for nothing by letting interest accumulate. Someone said $8000 in interest per year isn't that much when compared with a $200,000 salary, but I really have to disagree with that mentality. Multiply that by the amount of years it takes to pay off the loan, and well...that seems like a lot of money to me...I could fund my future child's education with that money. As dragonfly said, I'd much rather have that money years down the line if I or someone in my family really needs it.

But yes, if it is more financially wise to put that money into a retirement fund (save more money in the long run), then obviously that makes more sense.

Clearly, I will need to go to a financial adviser when I graduate, because I'm pretty clueless about this stuff!

that's wise (to speak w/ a financial advisor)

When you do so, I suggest paying one on an hourly basis -- most advisers are "free" because they are paid commission by the fund they steer you to; they have an incentive to steer you toward the fund that pays them higher commission rather than the one that is best for you.

remember that a lot of this stuff is your preference and your mindset. Dragonfly had a great point -- some of us were raised to think that debt is "bad" and that finance folk are "unscrupulous dirtbags".

But think about buying a house -- why doesn't everyone buy a tiny house, maybe a mobile home, that they can pay off in a year? Those things go 6K used or so. I wouldn't do this because I value the benefit of a yard and separate bedrooms for the kids over the benefit of having no house debt. Why not pay cash for any car needed? Thats what my folks do. We didn't because for us there's higher value in driving a safer (airbags, ABS), newer car that incidentally gets getter gas mileage and has a lower carbon footprint.

Remember the value of your time -- you'll hit a point when frivolous expenses like hiring a housecleaner won't be frivolous -- if you have 1 day off a week, you may decide the value to you of taking a hike, going on a date, or spending time with your kids is higher than the $100 for a cleaning person.

Lots of this stuff is really decisions on a continuum; it may seem great as a resident to think of "no debt in x years", but you may decide a few years in that you'd like to take a trip with your friends, or visit your older parents out of state a few more times, or get married and incur honeymoon expenses, instead of sticking with "the plan" and paying down that debt so fast. best of luck!

This is my plan, which may or may not work for you:

• Take the minimum/recommended payment plan
  • Pay as much extra as you can on the student loans
  • Pay off as much higher-interest debt (car, cards, etc) as you can
My thing is to not lock yourself into a huge payment plan that could set you up for lates or a default. You can just pay extra without making another formal agreement. It's best to pay off the highest-interest stuff first, or at least as much as you can.

Maintaining your lifestyle at a similar level to what it probably is now is difficult for a lot of people, but if you can pull it off you can pay off huge amounts of loans. It's not that popular, but people do it all the time. It's pretty easy to come up with your own repayment plan, but it can get time-consuming. Just lay it all out and work on it.

If you can spend an hour a week vacuuming and dusting, getting someone in every other week won't be that expensive (think ~$130/month).

The reason I would pay it off faster has nothing to do with thinking debt is "bad" or any such nonsense. I'm thinking more along the lines of not paying lots of interest, not being married to one particular job for money's sake (ie personal freedom), and I'm self-funding retirement so all the extra will go into CDs and such.