PBL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MathLover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wondering about some tips, study techniques, and apps that are useful for PBL.

Members don't see this ad.

Skip it and study Pathoma instead.

Jk jk. I have found with PBL that reading the source material given for the activity is sufficient. I never opened a textbook for thrings that I did not understand and could find in my notes.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the PBL program. Learn how to read fast and efficiently and make lots of quick review notes as you read. This will help you not forget everything when you move to another subject. We had a months worth of material for each test in our program so it was important to constantly review material to keep it in your mind. Your 2nd year classmates would actually be the best source to ask.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Skip it and study Pathoma instead.

Jk jk. I have found with PBL that reading the source material given for the activity is sufficient. I never opened a textbook for thrings that I did not understand and could find in my notes.

If your curriculum is pure PBL (e.g. some of the LECOM campuses), this is terrible advice. You HAVE to read the textbooks. (junojpeg referred to an activity so it may be different at his/her school).

Don't get behind on your reading and figure out what works for you-- for some people it's just reading, for others it's outlining, annotating, making flashcards, or some combination of the above. What works for you might also vary by the class; I study differently for pharm than I for physio, for example.

If you want more specifics, feel free to PM me.

If your curriculum is pure PBL (e.g. some of the LECOM campuses), this is terrible advice. You HAVE to read the textbooks. (junojpeg referred to an activity so it may be different at his/her school).

Yup! My school is not pure PBL. It is didactic mixed with PBL. I am also a very self-directed learner, so there was hardly anything taught in PBL that I did not see in FA, Goljan, Pathoma, BRS, or my Micro & Pharm Flashcards.

Obviously...you have to read the textbooks or your gonna have a bad time.

The brilliance of PBL is that it lets you develop your own system. They work you into PBL slowly so that you can get acclimated to the system and learn your system. My system was:
1) Go to Starbuck vs Panera
2) Read the pertinent Chapter like a novel...no underlining.
3) Read a relevant board review book
4) Read the pertinent chapter again in context of both my case and board review book
5) Take 1-2 key concepts from my reading to present to my PBL group

I'm not a fast reader...but I was able to do fine in PBL. I was a B student...and I graduated around 50% in my class rank. I did well on my boards. In regards to residency placement boards>class rank. So it would be silly to not know the board review material cold as you go.

Yup! My school is not pure PBL. It is didactic mixed with PBL. I am also a very self-directed learner, so there was hardly anything taught in PBL that I did not see in FA, Goljan, Pathoma, BRS, or my Micro & Pharm Flashcards.

Okay, that makes more sense then. My school has PBL instead of lectures for the basic sciences, so your method wouldn't fly, but if OP's situation is similar to yours your approach sounds golden.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for the helpful responses guys!!