Pc q&a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What makes a candidate a jerk? LMAO. Those people might leave the interview thinking they were awesome!

Do you just mean arrogance? Or... I dont know?

Does a good interview and kind demeanor plus super awesome thank you possibly move you up on a programs rank list?

Members don't see this ad.

What makes a candidate a jerk? LMAO. Those people might leave the interview thinking they were awesome!

Do you just mean arrogance? Or... I dont know?

Does a good interview and kind demeanor plus super awesome thank you possibly move you up on a programs rank list?

Tectonic arrogance, condescension, disrespectful to staff, lewd comments to fellows...that behavior could make us think someone is not a good fit. A jerk, if you will.

Yes, we've had accomplished asshats leave thinking they're awesome. Too awesome for any program. And sometimes -- lo and behold -- they wind up completely unmatched. Bad reality check.

Being a GOOD FIT plus good interview, kind demeanor, and super awesome thank you will move someone up.

Dear Pc,

Do I really even need to Rank a program in your opinion who I sent them the a "Thank you" letter and I just got reply back from their chief fellow.

It's up to you whether you should rank them. I suppose if you're totally offended and can't imagine yourself training there then you shouldn't rank them. Personally I don't believe that a response from the Chief Fellow is intended to be a slight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankyou PC for helping out the applicants!

I am a GI applicant and I have interviewed at my top 4 programs. My mentor is retiring on Nov 1st, and I am having him call/email my top choice programs10 days after I have interviewed at those places. Do you think this is a good strategy given that my mentor is retiring soon and will not be available to call in Nov?(I would have otherwise had him call in October end/Nov beginning).

Thankyou PC for helping out the applicants!

I am a GI applicant and I have interviewed at my top 4 programs. My mentor is retiring on Nov 1st, and I am having him call/email my top choice programs10 days after I have interviewed at those places. Do you think this is a good strategy given that my mentor is retiring soon and will not be available to call in Nov?(I would have otherwise had him call in October end/Nov beginning).

Yeah, I think that's fine! :thumbup:

Yeah, I think that's fine! :thumbup:

Should I worry that I have not asked anyone to call programs on my behalf? I have emailed my top 3 telling them they were a good fit etc and the programs responded with a similar response. My original top program fell on my rank list as a couple of Interviewers did not reciprocate my energy for the program ( I'm bummed. they just stated email if I have questions?) Maybe I'm over reacting?

Would it hurt me if I don't have folks call?

Should I worry that I have not asked anyone to call programs on my behalf? I have emailed my top 3 telling them they were a good fit etc and the programs responded with a similar response. My original top program fell on my rank list as a couple of Interviewers did not reciprocate my energy for the program ( I'm bummed. they just stated email if I have questions?) Maybe I'm over reacting?
Yes, you're over-reacting

IMHO, not really. But every PD is different. And I'm not a PD...but if I were, every call I got about an app would be a point against that applicant. Either stand on your own or sit down and leave me alone.

IMHO, not really. But every PD is different. And I'm not a PD...but if I were, every call I got about an app would be a point against that applicant. Either stand on your own or sit down and leave me alone.

I agree that it should be based on own merit and PD shouldn't be calling. But isn't the point of the call is to demonstrate the true intentions of the applicant, that this is the program they want to go to and they will be happy there. That way the program can be assured that this candidate would be happy there. And that the call is less so about merits?

Tectonic arrogance, condescension, disrespectful to staff, lewd comments to fellows...that behavior could make us think someone is not a good fit. A jerk, if you will.

Yes, we've had accomplished asshats leave thinking they're awesome. Too awesome for any program. And sometimes -- lo and behold -- they wind up completely unmatched. Bad reality check.

Being a GOOD FIT plus good interview, kind demeanor, and super awesome thank you will move someone up.

Thought this questions and answer was rather helpful. PC thanks for helping us all! You rock! :D

I went on a interview and met a person who was actually sharing a story with the fellows about how he/she bought books on amazon printed the receipt so he/she could submit it to their program for book allowance fees and then once he got his/her money this person would just return the book! So basically he told the fellows he was steeling! All I could think to myself was "are you F*ing serious right now dude?"

Last edited:

No, it won't at all count against you if no one contacts them on your behalf.

I agree that it should be based on own merit and PD shouldn't be calling. But isn't the point of the call is to demonstrate the true intentions of the applicant, that this is the program they want to go to and they will be happy there. That way the program can be assured that this candidate would be happy there. And that the call is less so about merits?

Can be either or both. Remember IM PD's want to be able to brag about their grads' fellowship placements. We love to get an idea of who loves us and it helps, but we also have to temper the merit calls/emails with our own needs and impressions because it's not like their current PD doesn't have ulterior motives.

Thought this questions and answer was rather helpful. PC thanks for helping us all! You rock! :D

I went on a interview and met a person who was actually sharing a story with the fellows about how he/she bought books on amazon printed the receipt so he/she could submit it to their program for book allowance fees and then once he got his/her money this person would just return the book! So basically he told the fellows he was steeling! All I could think to myself was "are you F*ing serious right now dude?"

Always happy to help!

Shady, but not altogether surprising. There's a smattering of questionable characters out there.

I can't speak about all programs, but for ours...we require that fellows first attend a national meeting/conference. Only AFTER THAT will we consider allowing them to purchase educational materials with any remaining funds they may have.

Although I think you're great...you kinda scare me sometimes, man. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
..but if I were, every call I got about an app would be a point against that applicant. Either stand on your own or sit down and leave me alone.

this is what i am thinking. great app. great iv. top tier. no need to bug people. however, if everyone else is doing it if feels like one is missing out. good to hear your honest opinion on this matter i was starting to think i was falling short.

this is what i am thinking. great app. great iv. top tier. no need to bug people. however, if everyone else is doing it if feels like one is missing out. good to hear your honest opinion on this matter i was starting to think i was falling short.

Quick comment. We don't typically get bolstering calls for everyone. Only for a handful of candidates. No one is falling short without them.

What is your thought of the purpose of "love letters" that the programs send? Do they serve any purpose??

What is your thought of the purpose of "love letters" that the programs send? Do they serve any purpose??

How about, if certain program don't send out "will rank you high letter" or even you hear nothing from them so far after the day of interview, what is your thought in this situation, do you still have a chance to match with that program?

How about, if certain program don't send out "will rank you high letter" or even you hear nothing from them so far after the day of interview, what is your thought in this situation, do you still have a chance to match with that program?

Most candidates won't receive anything. You still can match. Just rank your programs as you like them.

The majority won't receive impromptu love letters. The PDs who send them generally send them to their very top-ranked candidates in the attempt to sort of shore up those candidates, if at all possible. It typically won't cement them all, but it's worth it to try.

There's sort of an ego thing for us to match all slots as high up on our rank list as we can. Just as you would like to match your 1st choice.

Hi PC. One of my interviewers was very interested and basically asked me to tell what she can do to make me rank them number 1. I told them I still have more interviews. Later, in response to my thank you note, I was again asked to call with questions which they would answer so that I can be persuaded to rank them at the top. I know the program well, and do not have any more questions. How do I deal with this situation? This program may not be my top choice, but it will definitely be close to it and I would be happy to match with them. I do not want to offend them and hurt their egos (and mess up my chances of matching with them) by not giving an appropriate response as they have been incredibly nice to me.

Hi PC. One of my interviewers was very interested and basically asked me to tell what she can do to make me rank them number 1. I told them I still have more interviews. Later, in response to my thank you note, I was again asked to call with questions which they would answer so that I can be persuaded to rank them at the top. I know the program well, and do not have any more questions. How do I deal with this situation? This program may not be my top choice, but it will definitely be close to it and I would be happy to match with them. I do not want to offend them and hurt their egos (and mess up my chances of matching with them) by not giving an appropriate response as they have been incredibly nice to me.

Congrats! Sounds like you're in a very good position and they really want you. Tell them that you are impressed by their program, have appreciated their help throughout the process, plan to rank them highly, and would be happy to match with them. That should tell them that you will probably rank them 1-3. If they're as interested as it appears, they will rank you among the top of their list.

Hi PC, I was wondering when is a good time to have someone call my number one program? Thank you!

Thank you for all of your input! Two questions:

1. Does going on a second look help? I would think it shows interest but some program directors said it won't help.

2. I have 3 people who are willing to send emails to my top choice. They include my IM program director, my IM continuity clinic preceptor, and a cardiologist. Is it worth having all of these people send the PD an email or should I just have one of them do this?

Thanks again!

Thank you for all of your input! Two questions:

1. Does going on a second look help? I would think it shows interest but some program directors said it won't help.

2. I have 3 people who are willing to send emails to my top choice. They include my IM program director, my IM continuity clinic preceptor, and a cardiologist. Is it worth having all of these people send the PD an email or should I just have one of them do this?

Thanks again!

1. It may help you make a decision, but it won't really help us.

2. I think 3 emails will be fine. The program certainly won't be able to miss that they're your first choice. If any of your LORs were written by your clinic preceptor and/or that cardiologist, though, they needn't send a follow-up email.

Like residency, do we find out whether we matched or didn't match on mon the week of and then find out where we did on 12/4?

I am applying to both clinical and clinical educator tracks, but I am unclear as to whether I should rank both if the program has both?
eg. 1. hopkins clinical scholar track 2. hopkins clinical investigator track

Like residency, do we find out whether we matched or didn't match on mon the week of and then find out where we did on 12/4?

I am applying to both clinical and clinical educator tracks, but I am unclear as to whether I should rank both if the program has both?
eg. 1. hopkins clinical scholar track 2. hopkins clinical investigator track

Yes, according to the NRMP site, those who are SOAP-eligible will know ahead of time and must submit apps through ERAS beginning 2PM ET on Monday, December 2nd. http://www.nrmp.org/residency/soap/

You should contact the program(s) for clarification.

So basically everyone will find out 12/2 whether they matched or not? (That's all I care about, really!)

So basically everyone will find out 12/2 whether they matched or not? (That's all I care about, really!)

It's my understanding that those who didn't match will be alerted by Monday, 12/2 so that they can take advantage of SOAP. Ergo, if a candidate doesn't receive any SOAP-related info by that afternoon...they matched and will hear more on match day (12/4/2013).

It's my understanding that those who didn't match will be alerted by Monday, 12/2 so that they can take advantage of SOAP. Ergo, if a candidate doesn't receive any SOAP-related info by that afternoon...they matched and will hear more on match day (12/4/2013).

This is something new this year? by reading NRMP page about SOAP (Unmatched applicant will alert by 12/2 and they can apply ONLY through ERAS,Unfilled programs will make LIST again for unfilled positions??

This is something new this year? by reading NRMP page about SOAP (Unmatched applicant will alert by 12/2 and they can apply ONLY through ERAS,Unfilled programs will make LIST again for unfilled positions??

You are correct. Apologies if my comment seemed to counter that. Those unmatched (and unfilled) will be notified simultaneously on Monday, 12/2. After a 'timeout' window in ERAS (~2hrs I think), applications will be transmitted to selected unfilled programs without charge. Candidates may only apply via ERAS. It's my understanding that candidates may submit to a max of 30 programs during the 1st round...should there be >30 unfilled programs.

Only programs are permitted to initiate contact. Neither candidates, IM PD's, nor mentors may contact programs in support of a SOAP app. Applicants are permitted to upload new LOR's and/or personal statement. In fact, I believe that candidates are currently able to upload these now.

Hi PC,
Appreciate all your input. I searched through the NRMP website, the SOAP appears to be for residency programs not the Specialty Matching Service. Please advise.

Hi PC,
Appreciate all your input. I searched through the NRMP website, the SOAP appears to be for residency programs not the Specialty Matching Service. Please advise.

It's my understanding that it's also used for fellowship. I believe that one of the other subspecialty fellowships at my institution had to participate last cycle. That said, I don't have first-hand experience with SOAP, so would love to hear from anyone who knows for sure.

Thank you PC, I checked the website again. It does not mention SOAP for SMS. If anyone knows for sure, please answer. Thank you for all your efforts. Best.

PC I had some positive responses post thank you, but no further love letters from my top two choices. Is it time to worry?

Hi PC,

If you have received love letter emails from PDs does this mean you are ranked to match? So that would mean that however many spots there are, you are ranked within that group to match there for sure if they were your number 1?

Or do programs generally send these letters to their top 20 or whoever they have ranked regardless of number of spots there are?

Thank you!

Hi PC,

If you have received love letter emails from PDs does this mean you are ranked to match? So that would mean that however many spots there are, you are ranked within that group to match there for sure if they were your number 1?

Or do programs generally send these letters to their top 20 or whoever they have ranked regardless of number of spots there are?

Thank you!
It means that they sent you an email. No more...no less. Make your rank list the way you want it. Stop trying to game the system...you'll lose.

Hey guys, any light on the fellowship SOAP? Ave been doin some homework and still cant find any concise intel on the NRMP website about it.

I went unmatched in cardiology last year and found that out at the same time as my colleagues who matched. This 2 day in advance notice if you are unmatched seems new to me. I guess we will find out for sure on Monday 12/2.

I think all that applies to residency match but I haven't found a specific page on NRMP about fellowships. That's my only concern. That we may be extrapolating info from one subject to other mistakingly.

Dear PC and Gutonc,

How far down the list do most applicants match in competitive fellowships such as cards, GI and H/O ? Have you heard of applicants matching at their sixth or seventh ranked program? Thanks

Hi PC

I was wondering how competitive cards has been this year? Did your program receive about the same number of applications as usual or more than usual?

In response to the above question - it is highly variable - one of my friends matched at his last choice - number 11 on his list for GI a year ago, a couple matched at number 2 for cards and number 1 for hem onc.

It's my understanding that it's also used for fellowship. I believe that one of the other subspecialty fellowships at my institution had to participate last cycle. That said, I don't have first-hand experience with SOAP, so would love to hear from anyone who knows for sure.

I am not sure if anybody received anything today 12/2 from NRMP regard unfilled positions or SOAP like process, any input?.

I've learned that, since the site update, I haven't been getting my SDN prompts. So sorry that I've neglected you guys. I'll play with my settings ASAP.

It seems that SOAP is NOT used for fellowships. Solemn apologies for the confusion.

Hey PC,
Welcome back.
For those who have matched, when should they expect to receive further correspondence from their program?

Hey PC,
Welcome back.
For those who have matched, when should they expect to receive further correspondence from their program?

I'd expect that most will receive at least a congrats/welcome email before the weekend. In the near future, you guys should also receive some sort of letter of intent to sign and return. The letter may come as an attachment to the congrats/welcome email. If not it will be sent either via snail mail or electronically.

Sincerest congratulations to all who matched. To those who are currently hustling to get one of the unfilled slots, I wish you the very best.

Hey ProgCord. Id like to thank you sooooooo much for your totally unconditional help and guidance. I did match but i ll never forget the moments when i opened my sdn and found so much valuable advices. Thanks a million once more. :):):)
Same to Gutonc, havent heard from it for a while either. You guys are really awesome!! I wish you all Merry Xmas!!

Hey ProgCord. Id like to thank you sooooooo much for your totally unconditional help and guidance. I did match but i ll never forget the moments when i opened my sdn and found so much valuable advices. Thanks a million once more. :):):)
Same to Gutonc, havent heard from it for a while either. You guys are really awesome!! I wish you all Merry Xmas!!

Thank you for taking the time to post. It has been my absolute pleasure to help you guys navigate the season. Wishing each of you the very, very best.

This is a great thread!

I'll be applying next cycle and I have a question: You said that step scores are not the only thing except for failures and very low scores. What about super high step scores? do they make any difference in sending invites giving that the rest of the application is OK ? do they make the application stand out by any mean?