Pc q&a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PD, can programs apply filters to publications and research?Also for programs that make USMLE scores optional-what is your take on this. Do we still send the scores?

Also, is it easier for to obtain research spot vs clinical spot?

Thanks in advance.

where are scores optional? just curious because 9/10 places I applied to say they are required

Members don't see this ad.

This doesn't sound familiar. What I think is happening is that ERAS is doling them out that way. In batches I've had candidates tell me that everything is in, but ERAS may not push it all through to us at once. For example, I may get most of your documents in the morning, but your USMLE may not come through to me until the evening or next day along with 100 other USMLE transcripts. It's par for the course.

We've never filtered the downloads and I'm not in front of the workstation right now, so I can't say with 100% certainty right now that it's not possible. But I'll look into it and get back to you. What I know we can control is how and what we print from submissions, but you guys would't have any way to see/know that.

I'll tell you that we've been experiencing some delays and glitches just as you did earlier, so that may add to the hiccups you're seeing.

To follow-up: I have confirmed that we do not have the option of cherry picking what documents we download. Huzzah!

thanks pc.

Have another curious question. I just submitted a letter this evening and already 3 programs retrieved the letter. can the programs have set automatic retrieval for new information submitted or do they actively retrieve it. If the former, do they set everyone to automatic retrieval?

thanks

darlene

Members don't see this ad :)
applying to 2 specialties non-cards one stated optional

Hi PC, I'm applying for GI, but found this forum very helpful and may apply for all specialties. My question is, I applied to about 65 programs on 7/14 with a complete application (all 4 letters were available), however, only about half of the programs retrieved my application so far. Should I worry and call the other 30 something programs, or this is normal and programs could start download the applications later this month? Thank you so much.

thanks pc.

Have another curious question. I just submitted a letter this evening and already 3 programs retrieved the letter. can the programs have set automatic retrieval for new information submitted or do they actively retrieve it. If the former, do they set everyone to automatic retrieval?

thanks

darlene

No automatic downloads. The workstation must be open and we must click a button to initiate a download. Some are more proactive/OCD than others.

Hi PC, I'm applying for GI, but found this forum very helpful and may apply for all specialties. My question is, I applied to about 65 programs on 7/14 with a complete application (all 4 letters were available), however, only about half of the programs retrieved my application so far. Should I worry and call the other 30 something programs, or this is normal and programs could start download the applications later this month? Thank you so much.

Don't worry. Don't call anyone. Some start later for various reasons.

This is normal. Please don't call them (unless you want to tempt somebody to auto-screen your app). They'll get around to it when they're ready. Programs can't pick and choose which apps to download. If they haven't downloaded yours yet it either means your app hasn't come up in the queue yet or they haven't logged on yet. Relax.

This is normal. Please don't call them (unless you want to tempt somebody to auto-screen your app). They'll get around to it when they're ready. Programs can't pick and choose which apps to download. If they haven't downloaded yours yet it either means your app hasn't come up in the queue yet or they haven't logged on yet. Relax.

What he said. :thumbup:

Thanks Gutonc and PC that was helpful

Hi - I have a question for ProgCoordinator.

I am worried I messed up in my ERAS application. Today, I received an email from a program coordinator stating that I had not checked "yes" in the box asking whether you are participating in the NRMP match in the ERAS profile. I had accidentally checked "no". I thanked her and have fixed the error- but I'm wondering - should I be concerned that I have already been screened out from many programs (80% of them had downloaded my application next week)? Or when the system automatically updates, will I be back in the "possible interview" pile? Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Hi - I have a question for ProgCoordinator.

I am worried I messed up in my ERAS application. Today, I received an email from a program coordinator stating that I had not checked "yes" in the box asking whether you are participating in the NRMP match in the ERAS profile. I had accidentally checked "no". I thanked her and have fixed the error- but I'm wondering - should I be concerned that I have already been screened out from many programs (80% of them had downloaded my application next week)? Or when the system automatically updates, will I be back in the "possible interview" pile? Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Nah. You don't have anything to worry about. Especially since you've changed it. Upon subsequent downloads your status will be updated. Even if a program had been using that piece for filtering (highly unlikely), you'd be placed back in the pot due to the update.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello PC,

My Program got a significant less number of application this year a compared to last 2 years. Have you noticed a similar trend in term of numbers of applicants???

Hello PC,

My Program got a significant less number of application this year a compared to last 2 years. Have you noticed a similar trend in term of numbers of applicants???

It may be too early to tell for sure. We're right on target. Historically we could receive another 100-150 by the end of the season.

Does your program post a clear deadline on FREIDA and its website?

Yes,
July 31st, is the deadline. My PC was referring to the first week, when we get most of our applications.
So, you have same number application as last year , for this week?

Yes,
July 31st, is the deadline. My PC was referring to the first week, when we get most of our applications.
So, you have same number application as last year , for this week?

Yes, we're right on track. ~90% of our anticipated haul for the season. Similar progress to other years.

In fact, candidates are generally better nowadays about applying and completing their apps within the first 2 weeks. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further in an attempt to isolate what factor(s) may be impacting your volume.

Are all of the ERAS filters off when checking for full candidate pool? If not, that will certainly jack the numbers.

Hello PC,
Thank you for all your guidance. I have a quick question. I just came to know yesterday that one of my research got published. The problem is, I already submitted my myERAS application to programs. Should I just send an e-mail to each program and inform them before they plan to reject me? This study is really strong study and I believe it will impact on number of interviews I may get. Please help me.
Thanks in advance.
Dig.

Hello PC,
Thank you for all your guidance. I have a quick question. I just came to know yesterday that one of my research got published. The problem is, I already submitted my myERAS application to programs. Should I just send an e-mail to each program and inform them before they plan to reject me? This study is really strong study and I believe it will impact on number of interviews I may get. Please help me.
Thanks in advance.
Dig.

Yes, it will be ok to send a very brief email to programs with the update. And be positive!

Hi PC, quick question,
Some applicants got rejection emails and some didn't get either rejection or invitation emails. Why do you think this happened? Do you think the one that got rejection emails were screened out early, or late? Meaning they almost made it for an interview. Or it's just random.
Thanks and have a good night.

LOL all gi peeps coming over here.

PC, I find it odd that some of my letters have been retrieved late in evening when everyone should be home. Do PDs retrieve info from home of certain individuals they are interested in or do they just download all applicant infro when they log at lets say in at 10pm. This wizard of oz process is so strange.

Do the interview invites come in batches or they are sent once. if there is a program sent invitations already, as per posted in the forum and I did not receive an invitation does that most likely mean a silent rejection? Thanks

Do the interview invites come in batches or they are sent once.
Yes.

if there is a program sent invitations already, as per posted in the forum and I did not receive an invitation does that most likely mean a silent rejection? Thanks
Yes. Unless it doesn't mean that at all.

This is an iterative process for most programs. Say you're a program and you have 5 spots to fill. You know (historically speaking) that to fill those spots, you're going to have to rank 65 people and you want to have a little margin of error so you decide to interview 75 people (I made those numbers up, stop trying to read something into it...seriously...stop it...you're embarrassing yourself).

So you run a quick screen with high Step cutoffs and PhD or AOA (or something else) and out of the 600 apps you got, 60 made that cut (whatever it was). You review the apps and 40 of them pass the "not clearly a douchebag or sociopath, at least on paper" test so you invite them. 30 of them accept interviews (5 of whom you know will later cancel...this isn't your first time at the rodeo... and 5 of them will turn out to be douchebags or sociopaths once you interview them). So now you've got 20 people who will probably get ranked. And you need another 55. So you do the above all over again only with different screens/cutoffs/whatever and then lather, rinse, repeat until you hit the sweet spot and get the number of interviews you want.

LOL all gi peeps coming over here.

PC, I find it odd that some of my letters have been retrieved late in evening when everyone should be home. Do PDs retrieve info from home of certain individuals they are interested in or do they just download all applicant infro when they log at lets say in at 10pm. This wizard of oz process is so strange.

We have no control over what comes through when we download. We work a lot of crazy hours during the season, so it won't be unheard of to see activity overnight and on the weekends. Yes, some coordinate access to their ERAS workstations in order to work in there remotely. Remote ERAS access is a blessing rivaled by few other things in life.

Hi PC, quick question,
Some applicants got rejection emails and some didn't get either rejection or invitation emails. Why do you think this happened? Do you think the one that got rejection emails were screened out early, or late? Meaning they almost made it for an interview. Or it's just random.
Thanks and have a good night.

It's a rolling process. So, like digging yourself out from under any pile, we gotta start somewhere and trudge forward. Every program has their own method based on whatever their coveted variables may be, so you guys really can't read anything definitive from how/when correspondences go out.

Do the interview invites come in batches or they are sent once. if there is a program sent invitations already, as per posted in the forum and I did not receive an invitation does that most likely mean a silent rejection? Thanks

Yes, batches.
No, especially this early, you can't assume a rejection if you haven't heard anything yet.

Refer back Gutonc's reply for a more intricate explanation. Every program is different, but it's a solid, general description.

It's a rolling process. So, like digging yourself out from under any pile, we gotta start somewhere and trudge forward. Every program has their own method based on whatever their coveted variables may be, so you guys really can't read anything definitive from how/when correspondences go out.

Can the PC help someone who may be screened out get reviewed if they know how interested an applicant is in a particular program?

Do PC have any influence over who gets invited for interviews?

Thanks so much PC! Your question answers are helping people applying to all specialties not just cards so thanks for taking your time to help SDN members get their questions answered! I know we all appreciate it!

Yes.

Yes. Unless it doesn't mean that at all.

This is an iterative process for most programs. Say you're a program and you have 5 spots to fill. You know (historically speaking) that to fill those spots, you're going to have to rank 65 people and you want to have a little margin of error so you decide to interview 75 people (I made those numbers up, stop trying to read something into it...seriously...stop it...you're embarrassing yourself).

So you run a quick screen with high Step cutoffs and PhD or AOA (or something else) and out of the 600 apps you got, 60 made that cut (whatever it was). You review the apps and 40 of them pass the "not clearly a douchebag or sociopath, at least on paper" test so you invite them. 30 of them accept interviews (5 of whom you know will later cancel...this isn't your first time at the rodeo... and 5 of them will turn out to be douchebags or sociopaths once you interview them). So now you've got 20 people who will probably get ranked. And you need another 55. So you do the above all over again only with different screens/cutoffs/whatever and then lather, rinse, repeat until you hit the sweet spot and get the number of interviews you want.
Gutonc - can you repost this in the Hem/Onc forum? I think it would help many residents there like myself. Thanks for sharing your experiences.:)

Can the PC help someone who may be screened out get reviewed if they know how interested an applicant is in a particular program?

It's unlikely to happen unless that candidate has submitted a moderately competitive application.

Do PC have any influence over who gets invited for interviews?

Invites are decided by PD/committee. PC input is more readily considered during ranking.

Thanks so much PC! Your question answers are helping people applying to all specialties not just cards so thanks for taking your time to help SDN members get their questions answered! I know we all appreciate it!

Totally my pleasure.

Thanks PC.

Most of friends who matched in the past both in Cards and GI stated that they matched into one of the first five programs that sent them an interview invite. This leads me to believe that if one is in the first batch of interviews one is most likely to match at that program provided they do really well in the interview process.

Thanks PC.

Most of friends who matched in the past both in Cards and GI stated that they matched into one of the first five programs that sent them an interview invite. This leads me to believe that if one is in the first batch of interviews one is most likely to match at that program provided they do really well in the interview process.

I hate thinking too much about this stuff. I think it depends on the candidate and the program. And the interview. It sounds as though you may be training at an excellent institution with competitive applicants.

Many programs have certain set parameters and whichever apps meet those may get earmarked for invites right out of the gate. Then they'll look more closely at the rest of the apps in order to fill the rest of our interview slots.

Every year we have candidates who are strong on paper, but we choose to rank low or not at all. We've ended up highly ranking alternates we invite way later, too.

My pleasure.

Hey PC. I have a question if u do t mind.

I have heard of programs no interviewing applicants from program "x", "y" and "z" cause in previous year they have and those applicants didn't rank them high enough. So they figure why bother wasting those interview spots. Is that true?

I have heard of programs no interviewing applicants from program "x", "y" and "z" cause in previous year they have and those applicants didn't rank them high enough. So they figure why bother wasting those interview spots. Is that true?

At some programs? Sure. Although a more common reason to not interview applicants from a particular program is that they had previously matched people who turned out to be a disaster, or the IM PD (or other LOR writers) from that program flat out lied about an applicant (which is extraordinarily rare).

More importantly, in what way does this information change your application/interview/match strategy? If you answer anything other than "it doesn't, just curious" then you don't understand the process at all.

At some programs? Sure. Although a more common reason to not interview applicants from a particular program is that they had previously matched people who turned out to be a disaster, or the IM PD (or other LOR writers) from that program flat out lied about an applicant (which is extraordinarily rare).

More importantly, in what way does this information change your application/interview/match strategy? If you answer anything other than "it doesn't, just curious" then you don't understand the process at all.

Nope, it was just a curiosity. Wait I am suppose to have a strategy!!! I am going to go around back and jump the fence. Like the Seinfeld episode when George goes to a job that he wasn't hired for and just fakes everything.

If the app makes it through the filters we'll review. If it appears to be competitive we'll consider an interview. Having said that, someone training in a program that we've come to consider lackluster, would have to look like a super star to garner an interview invitation.

First, I'd like to express much gratitude to PC and Gutonc for their helpful responses. You have helped alleviate a lot of the anxiety and uncertainty that is part of the application process. I do have a question regarding military physicians.

How do fellowship programs view physicians who completed military residency and service? Civilian programs may not be familiar w/ the caliber of military residency programs and our faculty may not be well recognized. Research opportunities are not as robust. We may serve overseas, take on operational duties and are years behind our peers by the time we complete service and apply for civilian fellowship.

With that said, I have no regrets and feel proud to have served. Although I ask simply out of curiosity (application already submitted), I know my colleagues have similar concerns as they weigh their options between pursuing a military fellowship and incurring additional years of obligation vs. getting out and vying for a civilian spot. Thanks again

First, I'd like to express much gratitude to PC and Gutonc for their helpful responses. You have helped alleviate a lot of the anxiety and uncertainty that is part of the application process. I do have a question regarding military physicians.

How do fellowship programs view physicians who completed military residency and service? Civilian programs may not be familiar w/ the caliber of military residency programs and our faculty may not be well recognized. Research opportunities are not as robust. We may serve overseas, take on operational duties and are years behind our peers by the time we complete service and apply for civilian fellowship.

With that said, I have no regrets and feel proud to have served. Although I ask simply out of curiosity (application already submitted), I know my colleagues have similar concerns as they weigh their options between pursuing a military fellowship and incurring additional years of obligation vs. getting out and vying for a civilian spot. Thanks again

I've only dealt with a few over the years. Nowadays, given the use of ERAS and its filters, what matters first is meeting program-set minimums. Once an application makes it through that gauntlet it depends on whatever each individual program is looking for. Although it is understandable that those in the armed forces may not have much opportunity for scholarly activity, this may be a stumbling block if applying to programs that are looking for physician scientists.

That said, I wouldn't expect that programs for which your submission meets expectations to turn their noses up because you've been serving while in-training.

Best of luck!

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate your help.

My questions is so what kind of filters does the ERAS program allow? I presume visa status, USMLE cut offs are one of these. Can you specify a specific program of origin to filter out? Can you filter number of research projects? (These seem to me like more difficult to filter with a computer program and needs to be done manually)

I am asking so that I can understand the process better. Since all of us have to play this game several times it would be useful to know. Thanks!!!

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate your help.

My questions is so what kind of filters does the ERAS program allow? I presume visa status, USMLE cut offs are one of these. Can you specify a specific program of origin to filter out? Can you filter number of research projects? (These seem to me like more difficult to filter with a computer program and needs to be done manually)

I am asking so that I can understand the process better. Since all of us have to play this game several times it would be useful to know. Thanks!!!

ERAS offers some already-built filters baked right in (e.g. USMLE, AOA, completed applications, etc.). Programs also have the ability to make their own (e.g. city, program, PD, just about anything). Building a custom filter can get complicated if one wants something super intricate, so I haven't ventured that far down the rabbit hole.

It's my opinion that it doesn't make sense to attempt to filter based on research, presentations, and/or pubs. Once an app makes it through the basic filters (primarily USMLE scores), scholarly activity should be adjudicated by a real person. If someone were to have just one research entry with only one or two scholarly entries...that may not look very exciting. However, if those entries actually represent a first author presentation at ACC and a first/second author in Circulation...kinda sexy, right? The flip side is someone with a year-long research fellowship with a ton of pubs listed that turn out to be mostly case reports, online articles on JoeScience.com, and/or several on which s/he is way down on the contributor lists...not as exciting, right?

Of course it's more complicated than just USMLE scores and scholarly activity. For those who are applying again, I think it's important to be strategic about the programs to which they apply. Diversify if at all able. Apply to a few reach programs, but don't neglect fallbacks. The challenge to match grows the longer you're out of IM training.

ERAS offers some already-built filters baked right in (e.g. USMLE, AOA, completed applications, etc.). Programs also have the ability to make their own (e.g. city, program, PD, just about anything). Building a custom filter can get complicated if one wants something super intricate, so I haven't ventured that far down the rabbit hole.

It's my opinion that it doesn't make sense to attempt to filter based on research, presentations, and/or pubs. Once an app makes it through the basic filters (primarily USMLE scores), scholarly activity should be adjudicated by a real person. If someone were to have just one research entry with only one or two scholarly entries...that may not look very exciting. However, if those entries actually represent a first author presentation at ACC and a first/second author in Circulation...kinda sexy, right? The flip side is someone with a year-long research fellowship with a ton of pubs listed that turn out to be mostly case reports, online articles on JoeScience.com, and/or several on which s/he is way down on the contributor lists...not as exciting, right?

Of course it's more complicated than just USMLE scores and scholarly activity. For those who are applying again, I think it's important to be strategic about the programs to which they apply. Diversify if at all able. Apply to a few reach programs, but don't neglect fallbacks. The challenge to match grows the longer you're out of IM training.

So it is like match.com and they filter by height >6feet.

I wish it was more like harmony.com :love:

Hi PC,

Thanks so much for being so helpful. Just a quick question, related to your reply above. I understand that case reports don't matter or matter less. But, I would think they should matter if they are in high profile journals -- I have first author case reports in New England Journal, Circulation and JACC along with couple other research publication in good journals. I was told by my mentors that more than my research papers, my case reports would help me getting interviews as they are in such high profile journals. What do you think? have you/your interview selection committee come across something like this? Please let me know. Thank you.

Hi PC,

Thanks so much for being so helpful. Just a quick question, related to your reply above. I understand that case reports don't matter or matter less. But, I would think they should matter if they are in high profile journals -- I have first author case reports in New England Journal, Circulation and JACC along with couple other research publication in good journals. I was told by my mentors that more than my research papers, my case reports would help me getting interviews as they are in such high profile journals. What do you think? have you/your interview selection committee come across something like this? Please let me know. Thank you.

It's not that case reports don't matter. You're correct that the journals are considered, as well. However, *generally speaking*, case reports don't have as much weight as peer reviewed original research articles.

Yes, your pubs in NEJM, Circ, and JACC will certainly be noticed. :luck:

Just a quick question. NEJM, Circ or JACC generally never publish case reports. NEJM does it only as a case records from Massachusetts general hospital, which almost is exclusive for Harvard authors. I am not sure what you mean by case reports in these journals. Circ and JACC may publish conference proceedings as abstracts from AHA and ACC conferences and these do not get indexed. By case reports do you mean letters to editors?

Now that you mention it, I am also curious whether letters to the editor are regarded as publications. I had one published in the NEJM in response to a big cardiology trial, but did not include in my application. I did not regard these as research experience and I feared inclusion would be perceived as "padding" my application.