PCAT 2014 exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmw142920

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the Biology section is DNA and RNA on the test? Also what do you need to know for health: Nutrition, Diseases, and drugs? Does anyone know anywhere I can find notes for the health part?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to google and search "2014 PCAT Overview." It tells you specifically which concepts it's going to be asking.

I am taking the PCAT in July on the 18th and I have not had general biology and microbiology (but have had A&P I and II) and I have also not had organic chemistry I and II. I am really worried.

I am taking the PCAT in July on the 18th and I have not had general biology and microbiology (but have had A&P I and II) and I have also not had organic chemistry I and II. I am really worried.
I am also taking it on July 18th and I am on the same boat as you, except I've take Organic I and II. I got Dr. Collins and am in the process of memorizing then understanding everything I can on the Biology section. I also have the Kaplan book and as I compare by subsection(Nervous System, etc.) the information in the Kaplan book vs Dr. Collins, Dr. Collins keeps it simple and short. Whereas the Kaplan book goes into much detail, which I think is somewhat wasting my time. Anyways, I would recommend getting Dr. Collins and do whatever you feel like, don't let the thought of "I'm taking the PCAT, what do I do if I do bad?" keep you from fully studying and understand the concepts. Study what the website says, and you will do just fine. It's not like the website is telling you what concepts will be covered on the exam and then asking the completely opposite concepts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also taking it on July 18th and I am on the same boat as you, except I've take Organic I and II. I got Dr. Collins and am in the process of memorizing then understanding everything I can on the Biology section. I also have the Kaplan book and as I compare by subsection(Nervous System, etc.) the information in the Kaplan book vs Dr. Collins, Dr. Collins keeps it simple and short. Whereas the Kaplan book goes into much detail, which I think is somewhat wasting my time. Anyways, I would recommend getting Dr. Collins and do whatever you feel like, don't let the thought of "I'm taking the PCAT, what do I do if I do bad?" keep you from fully studying and understand the concepts. Study what the website says, and you will do just fine. It's not like the website is telling you what concepts will be covered on the exam and then asking the completely opposite concepts.

That is very true. I am just worried about not having had any biology or the organic chemistry. I can do okay on the chemistry but the biology is going to be my worst. Thank you for your honest feedback and for comparing the books. I have read other reviews similar to that and that helps.

for biology someone posted all the terms from Dr. Collins on this website. http://quizlet.com/22660465/dr-collins-pcat-biology-flash-cards/

The terms and its corresponding "answers" are what are on Dr. Collins' Biology section but you need to know what EACH of the "answers" are. For Example, the first "answer" on that website is epithelial. Knowing that Epithelial is a type of tissue isn't going to help you. You need to know what it does and go into depth, for EACH "answer." Hope this helps anyone who was curious about that.

for biology someone posted all the terms from Dr. Collins on this website. http://quizlet.com/22660465/dr-collins-pcat-biology-flash-cards/
Thank you!
The terms and its corresponding "answers" are what are on Dr. Collins' Biology section but you need to know what EACH of the "answers" are. For Example, the first "answer" on that website is epithelial. Knowing that Epithelial is a type of tissue isn't going to help you. You need to know what it does and go into depth, for EACH "answer." Hope this helps anyone who was curious about that.

Okay yes I know that from human anatomy and physiology. I have had both of those classes. That should help for some questions. How is the essay?

wowthisisrandom-

The essay questions are usually pretty general. One example I remember was, how would you change the present health insurance policies of today? or something like that. Honestly, I wouldn't worry to much about the essay. From everyone I've talked to in pharmacy school, their preliminary score did not change at all from the final score that included the essay.