PCAT: Attempting to self-study. Where do I begin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted664902

Hey everyone,

I recently graduated with a mediocre GPA (~3.0) and now that I'm done with school, I plan on studying for the PCAT. To make this post short and to the point, I want to do extremely well on the PCAT to compensate for my GPA.

My question is: what books/study guides would you recommend I begin with?

I have heard a lot about Dr. Collins; however, sources are pretty difficult to come across and I'm a little weary about the source's reliability. I was thinking of simply going over the Kaplan PCAT test prep. book and attempt to take practice exams, but I rather get a few opinions from others who might be in the same boat or know how and what to study for the PCAT when doing it alone without a course.

Any constructive advice/suggestions would be very helpful and most appreciated. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I recently graduated with a mediocre GPA (~3.0) and now that I'm done with school, I plan on studying for the PCAT. To make this post short and to the point, I want to do extremely well on the PCAT to compensate for my GPA.

My question is: what books/study guides would you recommend I begin with?

I have heard a lot about Dr. Collins; however, sources are pretty difficult to come across and I'm a little weary about the source's reliability. I was thinking of simply going over the Kaplan PCAT test prep. book and attempt to take practice exams, but I rather get a few opinions from others who might be in the same boat or know how and what to study for the PCAT when doing it alone without a course.

Any constructive advice/suggestions would be very helpful and most appreciated. Thanks again.

Dr. Collins is #1 prep material for the PCAT.

Kaplan is good but not as excellent one, compared to Dr. Collins, according to the consensus.

Regarding you GPA of 3.0s, that is not mediocre according to the today's applicant pool. In fact, a BS w 3.0s GPA is pretty competitive these days.

70s percentile on the PCAT and above, you sure can get in mid-top tier schools.

Before committing to pharmacy, try to explore other career options to see what is / are out there for you. Make sure you know all the risks and potentials of the things you get yourself into. GL :)

Reactions: 1 user
trying to sit down is the hardest. warmup 15 mins b4 studying-SING - study like u watch tv, and ask why that happened? haha do the easiest thing first and do what u feel. i made a mistake overstudying chem and not enough bio n math when i felt the urge to do it.
-mix and match
-don't do pull ups 3 day straight, run too.
-trust your inner instincts cause they have validity to them.

GO w COLLINS. If you're stuck ask him.

Did u guys find it odd that on the PCAT for collins, IE and E-affin are same. Like chlorine has HIGH EA, while NA has low IE? Or Flourine has high EA, when its low. he said something about on pcat they treat EA as +.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding you GPA of 3.0s, that is not mediocre according to the today's applicant pool. In fact, a BS w 3.0s GPA is pretty competitive these days.

:smack: Are you exaggerating to some extent? Because that is just ridiculous.

:smack: Are you exaggerating to some extent? Because that is just ridiculous.

r u familiar w pharmacy admission at all ?? Have you been following pharmacy admission ?? Have you applied to pharmacy schools ??

I guess you are not and have not since you are pre-physical therapy.

but if you do not believe, so be it. Do your own research for pharmacy admission if you wish. I am doing this as a courtesy and out of my wish to help others but I do not need to do all the DD/ research for you or to prove anything to you, esp. u r pre-physical therapy. If you asked me nicely, I might... but I guess I would not...

Maybe others would chime in and enlighten you... :)

r u familiar w pharmacy admission at all ?? Have you been following pharmacy admission ?? Have you applied to pharmacy schools ??

but if you do not believe, so be it. Do your own research for pharmacy admission if you wish. I am doing this as a courtesy and out of my wish to help others but I do not need to do all the DD/ research for you, esp. u r pre-physical therapy. If you asked me nicely, I might...

Maybe others would chime in and enlighten you... :)

Whoa cool the engines dude. I didn't say anything that wasn't nice to you or about you. I was saying that the fact that you can easily get into pharmacy school with <3.0 is ridiculous, not that you are ridiculous. I was facepalming the academy, not you. I did not ask you to do any research for me, nor did I ever claim to not believe you.

I have a cursory familiarity with pharmacy school admissions from briefly being a pre-pharmer a few years ago. I have heard a number of stories of people being able to get into pharmacy school with terrible GPAs and PCAT scores, but was trying to ask you if having a 3.0 is seriously "pretty competitive" or if you were exaggerating to make the point, which clearly you weren't. I knew pharmacy school had gotten easier to get into, but I didn't know it had gotten that easy. Because if getting in with a 3.0 is pretty competitive, that means that somewhere close to the majority of applicants have earned less than a B average in college. What I have read hasn't indicated that the applicant pool overall was quite that unqualified, thus my question.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the score you want to get. But at 5-6 hours a day probably 1-1.5 months. Also depends on how long it takes you learn certain concepts. Lots of variables to take into account so it's hard to estimate but I'd say for the majority of people at 5-6 hours/day, 1-1.5months is probably enough.

Whoa cool the engines dude. I didn't say anything that wasn't nice to you or about you. I was saying that the fact that you can easily get into pharmacy school with <3.0 is ridiculous, not that you are ridiculous. I was facepalming the academy, not you. I did not ask you to do any research for me, nor did I ever claim to not believe you.

I have a cursory familiarity with pharmacy school admissions from briefly being a pre-pharmer a few years ago. I have heard a number of stories of people being able to get into pharmacy school with terrible GPAs and PCAT scores, but was trying to ask you if having a 3.0 is seriously "pretty competitive" or if you were exaggerating to make the point, which clearly you weren't. I knew pharmacy school had gotten easier to get into, but I didn't know it had gotten that easy. Because if getting in with a 3.0 is pretty competitive, that means that somewhere close to the majority of applicants have earned less than a B average in college. What I have read hasn't indicated that the applicant pool overall was quite that unqualified, thus my question.

ok... sorry... I misunderstood you...

anyway, let me give you just one example of one top 10 pharm schools, so you can be the judge, then you could search for more example if you would like.

US1.JPG
US2.JPG
US3.JPG

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-health-schools/pharmacy-rankings

U of Arizona, ranked #10.

Now pay attention to GPA range and PCAT range.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now pay attention to GPA range and PCAT range.

Wow...average GPAs creeping inexorably downward....

And a 43% acceptance rate this past year at a top 10 pharmacy school...that really is mind blowing...people applying to PT school would absolutely kill for those chances...people applying to medical school wouldn't even know what to do with themselves... How can a PT school with a class size of 50 get 1400 applications and a pharmacy school with a class size of >100 get <250 apps...that truly is amazing.

And a 43% acceptance rate this past year at a top 10 pharmacy school...that really is mind blowing...people applying to PT school would absolutely kill for those chances...people applying to medical school wouldn't even know what to do with themselves... How can a PT school with a class size of 50 get 1400 applications and a pharmacy school with a class size of >100 get <250 apps...that truly is amazing.

now, mind you, this is a top 10 pharmacy schools, which has been accepting students w 3.0s GPA and PCAT of 10s - 20s percentile.

Why this is happening ?? Because pharmacy schools keep on expanding and opening non-stop. There are 140 pharmacy schools now in the US. When I applied to pharmacy school back in last February (2014), there were 133 schools. At the end of December 2014, there were 140 schools. The rate is like 1 new pharmacy school per month. Yet new schools are still opening and there are plans to open even more new schools.

So pharm schools are flooding the market with more and more grads. According to the BLS, there are 41,400 new pharmacist between 2012 - 2022.
Assumed no new school opening and 100 - 150 students per class, from 2014 - 2022, there are going to be 112K - 168K new grads (100 x 140 = 14,000 x 8 = 112K; or 150 x 140 = 21,000 x 8 = 168K) (not counting grads from 2012 - 2014).

With that kind of job prospect, smart students go somewhere else. That reduces the number of students w excellent stats applying to pharmacy schools.

Schools all have seats to fill. With that many seats and there are less excellent students applying, pharm schools are forced to accepted students with lesser stats if they do not want to close.

So now I hope I answer your questions above :)

----

dang, I am going to have to say something here..... lol :)

Your chart is no good. What the heck is High Demand / Moderate Demand / Demand in Balance ?? My point is that, if we want to read and evaluate a chart, analysis, projection or research, etc., we need to understand what the thesis, methodology, calculation, analysis, and results are to understand what and where the flaws, faults, and biases are . I do not know how familiar you are with the scientific method, but your chart is meaningless without those I've just mentioned.

If we really want to look at the saturation problem objectively, we need to look at raw and hard data. We need to know how many new grads are (or going to be), i.e. supply side, and how many jobs are (or going to be), i.e. demand side. Demand vs. Supply. Simple economics.

Sooo, let's talk numbers:

*SUPPLY: how many grads are going to graduate this year ?? in 20018 - 2022 ??

-as of right now, there are about 140 pharmacy schools in the U.S. (go ahead and count them if you would like http://www.aacp.org/about/membership/institutionalmembership/Pages/usinstitutionalmember.aspx :) )

-assuming an avg of 100-150 students per class, that is 14,000 - 21,000 new grads per year. That is about 56,000 - 84,000 new grads in 2018, 84,000 - 126,000 new grads in 2020, 112,000 - 168,000 new grads in 2022 assumed NO new pharmacy school opens.

*DEMAND: how many jobs are available there now ?? in 2018 - 2022 ??

-Per 2013 data: according to the BLS, there were 287,420 employed pharmacists in the US http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291051.htm

View attachment 188060

-Based on 2013 data, the BLS estimate for pharmacist job outlook / growth for 2012 - 2022 is 14% or 41,400 jobs. (If you used the 287,420 figure of currently employed pharmacist, 14% x 287,420 = 40, 238.80 new jobs available between 2012 - 2022, which is very close to the BLS figure of 41,400). http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291051.htm

View attachment 188059

So, let's look at the numbers again:

*SUPPLY = about 56,000 - 84,000 new grads in 2018, 84,000 - 126,000 new grads in 2020, 112,000 - 168,000 new grads in 2022 assumed NO new pharmacy school opens.

*DEMAND = based on 2013 data, the BLS estimate for pharmacist job outlook / growth is 14% or 41,400 jobs for 2012 - 2022.

OK, so:

In 2022, there are 41.4K jobs : 112 - 168K new grads. Or ~ 30% chance of being employed or ~60% chance of being unemployed.

That means, approximately only 1 out of 3 new grads will be able to find a pharmacist job in 2022.

The other 2 of the 3 is going to have do something else. What are they going to have to do after 6 - 8 yrs of school (+ residency) to survive and pay back 150K+ in student loans with interests ??

NO saturation ?? lol :)

In fact, saturation is already happening right now in 2014.

NOT GRIM ENOUGH ????

Those above numbers might not scare some of you, but they are scaring the h@ll out of me...

I dont know if it is clear enough for many like you yet ;) but LOL :)

Now let's discuss a little....

IMHO, this whole saturation/oversupply mess started by schools' greed. They started out by inflating the credentials from BSPharm to PharmD to capture more money in tuition. Ask those working pharmacists out there, and the majority would tell you that there is no need for PharmD in the real practice of pharmacy. Who benefits from this inflation ?? pharmacists ?? NO. Patients ?? NO. Schools ?? YES (in the extra tuition).

The transition from BSPharm to PharmD created 1 - 4 year gap which artificially created the "shortage", i.e. if there had been no mandate of the PharmD degree, no "shortage" would have happened. Because there was / is no "shortage", the 80ish pharmacy schools would eventually catch up and produce enough pharmacists to fill up that gap.

Unfortunately, schools have used and continued using this "shortage" excuse to expand and open more and more new pharmacy schools to capitalize on expensive tuition and easy student loans. There were only ~ 80 schools in the late 1990's. There were 133 pharmacy schools in the early 2014. As of December 2014, there are 140 ACCP member pharmacy schools. More are still in the process of opening. The expansion rate is exponential !! At this rate, in 2022, how many schools of pharmacy schools in the US ??????? How many new PharmDs that are there in 2022 ?????????

Indeed, if there were still 80 schools in 2014 to produce ~ 8 - 12K grads per year (assuming avg class size of 100-150), they would produce around 64 - 96K of new grads between 2014 - 2022. This number is already more than the BLS's estimated number of 41,400 new pharmacist jobs for 2022 (based on 2013 data). Yes, according to this calculation, we would already have an oversupply of new grads even if there were still 80 schools, let alone 140 or 200 schools...

sadly, nothing any single individual can do about this problem. No one or pharmacy group/organization wants to do anything either.... ACPE ?? ACCP ?? Schools ?? Why stop ?? they always got paid FIRST. This saturation problem is anyone's but theirs. Why should they care ?? Their incentive is collecting money in tuition / accreditation + membership fees, thus it is no wonder why they continue pushing the "shortage" illusion...

Too many pharmacy schools = dropping admission standards. Browsing around this forum and the pre-pharmacy forum, you will see... 2.0's GPA, low PCAT, no PCAT, no nothing, no problem... anyone and everyone can get in, get good grades, do networking and job experience and be a pharmacist....

The future trend in healthcare is to do more with less. With no role expansion for the pharmacy profession and threats of pharmacist jobs being replaced by technology, the numbers of new jobs would be contracting. In addition, people are living longer and staying with their jobs longer. Where are the jobs for all those new grads that schools and more schools keep pumping out ??

There are already enough signs from new grads looking for jobs now in 2014 warning us about saturation / oversupply.... just google and see for yourself....

I don't know about you but personally, I would not want to go to school and pay ~ 150K in tuition alone + 6-8 yrs of my life (plus residency) to do a job where everyone can do and take my job. Look at laws and nursing.... Who in his / her right mind wanna pay / invest that much and has to struggle ??

But yeah, if you wanna go anywhere and take any kind of salary no matter how low and compromise to whatever employers' demand, you might still always have a job...

I want to say more but it looks like I am gonna have to write a book so I am gonna stop for now... But let me quote you here, "A poor job outlook is when supply actually exceeds demand, and that has yet to happen in pharmacy".

To that, let me say: if you wanna talk about outlook, you have to look beyond what is now to see and prepare for things that have not yet happened. Because when things have already happened so obviously that you can see with your eyes, it is already too late bro !!

Who wanna spend 150K+ in tuition + 6-8 yrs of your life (+ residency) and take the risks of future unemployment/underemployment and/or wait to see 20-30 buck an hour wage or news headlines of unemployed pharmacists who cannot repay their loans to be 100% certain that there is saturation in pharmacy ??

You sure can bet it is not me.

GL :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pharmacy-job-market-outlook.639184/page-55

r u going to U of AZ ?? ;)

now, mind you, this is a top 10 pharmacy schools, which has been accepting students w 3.0s GPA and PCAT of 10s - 20s percentile.

Why this is happening ?? Because pharmacy schools keep on expanding and opening non-stop. There are 140 pharmacy schools now in the US. When I applied to pharmacy school back in last February (2014), there were 133 schools. At the end of December 2014, there were 140 schools. The rate is like 1 new pharmacy school per month. Yet new schools are still opening and there are plans to open even more new schools.

So pharm schools are flooding the market with more and more grads. According to the BLS, there are 41,400 new pharmacist between 2012 - 2022.
Assumed no new school opening and 100 - 150 students per class, from 2014 - 2022, there are going to be 112K - 168K new grads (100 x 140 = 14,000 x 8 = 112K; or 150 x 140 = 21,000 x 8 = 168K) (not counting grads from 2012 - 2014).

With that kind of job prospect, smart students go somewhere else. That reduces the number of students w excellent stats applying to pharmacy schools.

Schools all have seats to fill. With that many seats and there are less excellent students applying, pharm schools are forced to accepted students with lesser stats if they do not want to close.

Yep, I can definitely see how this all works out. And I actually just noticed earlier today when I took a look, that at some point in the last year or so the BLS finally changed their story on pharmacy job prospects and at least admitted that "The number of pharmacy schools has grown in recent years, creating more pharmacy school graduates and therefore more competition for jobs."

And it was amazing to realize that the projected number of new jobs created in the 10 year period they cite will have had enough new graduates to fill them generated within 3 years. 15,000+ grads a year with a predicted average of 4,100 new jobs being created each year....so to make up the difference and give every new pharmacist a job, something like >4% of the pharmacy profession would have to retire every single year?? :wtf:

Obviously I'm preaching to the choir here...but I just had to write this out so I could wrap my mind around it...

I've been aware from skimming the pharmacy boards for the past couple of years of the saturation problem...but these kind of numbers make it hard to believe that anyone would apply to pharmacy school...no wonder schools are filling up classes with B students (who have a 50% chance of being accepted to a top 10 school).

Are my number right here? Am I missing something? sheesh I knew it was bad but could it really be that bad?

Last edited:
Yep, I can definitely see how this all works out. And I actually just noticed earlier today when I took a look, that at some point in the last year or so the BLS finally changed their story on pharmacy job prospects and at least admitted that "The number of pharmacy schools has grown in recent years, creating more pharmacy school graduates and therefore more competition for jobs."

And it was amazing to realize that the projected number of new jobs created in the 10 year period they cite will have had enough new graduates to fill them generated within 3 years. 15,000+ grads a year with a predicted average of 4,100 new jobs being created each year....so to make up the difference and give every new pharmacist a job, something like >4% of the pharmacy profession would have to retire every single year?? :wtf:

Obviously I'm preaching to the choir here...but I just had to write this out so I could wrap my mind around it...

I've been aware from skimming the pharmacy boards for the past couple of years of the saturation problem...but these kind of numbers make it hard to believe that anyone would apply to pharmacy school...no wonder schools are filling up classes with B students (who have a 50% chance of being accepted to a top 10 school).

Are my number right here? Am I missing something? sheesh I knew it was bad but could it really be that bad?

I'd just like to let you know that I do not make things up or pull stuffs out of thin air... Sorry I have to hijack the thread to post all that so that you can see with your own eyes...

I won't check your numbers b/c I know pharmacy is already THAT bad :)

people will live longer and hang on to their jobs longer bc of the weak economy.... don't place too much hope about (old) pharmacists to retire... not their faults anyway...

I'd just like to let you know that I do not make things up or pull stuffs out of thin air... Sorry I have to hijack the thread to post all that so that you can see with your own eyes...

I won't check your numbers b/c I know pharmacy is already THAT bad :)

people will live longer and hang on to their jobs longer bc of the weak economy.... don't place too much hope about (old) pharmacists to retire... not their faults anyway...

Trust me I totally believe you, it's not that I need you to convince me...I am just sounding like a crazy person because I am reeling with shock and awe :hungover:

At what point will not enough people be willing to apply to pharmacy schools, and some of these overpriced private schools will be forced to shut down?

Trust me I totally believe you, it's not that I need you to convince me...I am just sounding like a crazy person because I am reeling with shock and awe :hungover:

At what point will not enough people be willing to apply to pharmacy schools, and some of these overpriced private schools will be forced to shut down?

you need to realize that America is all business, nothing but business. That = $$$$$

Education in America is big business = $$$$$$$

Read this from history for fun bro :)

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=27460

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/le...regarding-the-consequences-of-a-decline-.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/.../2009/09/the_american_way_of_dentistry_3.html

We all can foresee what is going happen next to pharmacy....

you need to realize that America is all business, nothing but business. That = $$$$$

Education in America is big business = $$$$$$$

Read this from history for fun bro :)

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=27460

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/le...regarding-the-consequences-of-a-decline-.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/.../2009/09/the_american_way_of_dentistry_3.html

We all can foresee what is going happen next to pharmacy....

No doubt, when there is an unlimited supply of eager students willing to pay, there is nothing to really stop the expansion of schools.

But it seems like it has to eventually get to a point where even the dumbest of applicants will catch on to the fact that pharmacy school is a risky move. It's not that nobody will find a job. But if I had even a 10% chance of paying $200k and going to school for 4 years and then not having a job afterwards, that risk would be way to high for me.

Interesting article about dentistry too. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Sadly PT is eventually going to do the same thing to itself with the opening of new schools...we still have at least a few years to go before we go the way of pharmacy and law...the growth is a little more controlled because PT class sizes are inherently much smaller than pharmacy class sizes on average...but it will happen given enough time. Perhaps the PT profession will do something to stop it from happening...but history seems to tend to repeat itself pretty reliably in this area

And OP, I do apologize for totally derailing this thread onto something that has been discussed a thousand times. My bad...

No doubt, when there is an unlimited supply of eager students willing to pay, there is nothing to really stop the expansion of schools.

But it seems like it has to eventually get to a point where even the dumbest of applicants will catch on to the fact that pharmacy school is a risky move. It's not that nobody will find a job. But if I had even a 10% chance of paying $200k and going to school for 4 years and then not having a job afterwards, that risk would be way to high for me.

of course there is an unlimited supply of eager students willing to pay for pharmacy. With stats like sub 3.0s GPA and 10s - 20s percentile on the PCAT, what are they going to do or where they are going to go besides going in pharmacy ??

Heck, for the life of me, I could not even figure out how a person can get 10 - 20 percentile on the PCAT... Random picking answers prob get you ~ 40 - 50s percentile or something... 10s - 20s ?????

Sorry to say, but most prepharmers I have seen are either having no choice but pharmacy or naive+uninformed...

Sadly PT is eventually going to do the same thing to itself with the opening of new schools...we still have at least a few years to go before we go the way of pharmacy and law...the growth is a little more controlled because PT class sizes are inherently much smaller than pharmacy class sizes on average...but it will happen given enough time. Perhaps the PT profession will do something to stop it from happening...but history seems to tend to repeat itself pretty reliably in this area

yup...

of course there is an unlimited supply of eager students willing to pay for pharmacy. With stats like sub 3.0s GPA and 10s - 20s percentile on the PCAT, what are they going to do or where they are going to go besides going in pharmacy ??

Heck, for the life of me, I could not even figure out how a person can get 10 - 20 percentile on the PCAT... Random picking answers prob get you ~ 40 - 50s percentile or something... 10s - 20s ?????

Sorry to say, but most prepharmers I have seen are either having no choice but pharmacy or naive+uninformed...

:( If pharmacy school were like a PhD where you are funded and you could live of a poor grad student stipend while you figure out what you are ultimately going to with your life...I'd say more power to these people....but when you're talking >$200k in educational debt to be up against a 20% chance of not finding a full-time job, and all because you didn't know what to do after getting crappy grades in a biochem degree...:scared:

Ok enough said. Sorry for beating this long dead horse further into the ground.

:( If pharmacy school were like a PhD where you are funded and you could live of a poor grad student stipend while you figure out what you are ultimately going to with your life...I'd say more power to these people....but when you're talking >$200k in educational debt to be up against a 20% chance of not finding a full-time job, and all because you didn't know what to do after getting crappy grades in a biochem degree...:scared:

according to my calculation above, ~ 60% chance that a new pharmacist will be unemployed in 2022 :)

but I hope that more prepharmers could see what is going on in pharmacy and help themselves....

one more thing: remember the principle, "First, do no harm." Having got crappy undergrad grades is bad enough, but do not make your life worse.......... ;)

according to my calculation above, ~ 60% chance that a new pharmacist will be unemployed in 2022 :)

but I hope that more prepharmers could see what is going on in pharmacy and help themselves....

lol true...I was going based on the "'My estimate is 20 percent unemployment of new grads by 2018,' Daniel Brown, a pharmacy professor at Palm Beach Atlantic University, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in 2013." quote that I have seen circulating in articles lately...

i just finished my pre pharmacy courses with 2.8GPA and i am about to take the PCAT. My GPA is really worrying me, do i have a chance with that low GPA?

i just finished my pre pharmacy courses with 2.8GPA and i am about to take the PCAT. My GPA is really worrying me, do i have a chance with that low GPA?

yes you do. There are prob 141 pharmacy schools now at the rate of 1++ (or 2) new rx school(s) per month. There are more than enough schools that at least one (or more) will give you a chance.

yes you do. There are prob 141 pharmacy schools now at the rate of 1++ (or 2) new rx school(s) per month. There are more than enough schools that at least one (or more) will give you a chance.
thank you for replying sir. do you know any school that accept with that low gpa?

thank you for replying sir. do you know any school that accept with that low gpa?

There are plenty. Read my above posts for an example.

You want to first concern about the gpa cutoff for application (i.e. min gpa eligible to apply.

Go to PharmCAS web page for School Directory to check out the admission stats for the individual schools and go to the schools' own websites and call them directly for more info.