Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

PCAT Blueprint 2012-2013 and questions

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by NoPlanB, 05.22.12.

1. Thanks to PCAT Destroyer

Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. NoPlanB

NoPlanB

Pre-Pharmacy

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    on the PCAT blueprint for 2012-2013, it states 17% of biology section will be pertaining to Diversity of Life forms, what exactly does 'Diversity of Life forms' covers? On pCAT website, it clearly stated there will no questions on non-human biology, including plants and animals. so does that mean no questions on photosynthesis?
    http://www.pcatweb.info/PCAT-Updates.php

20% of biology section will be microbiology, would mcrobio we learned from intro to biology covers all contents in microbiology section of PCAT, or are they more close to what a microbiology class covers?

Are there any spectroscopy problems?

Does Dr Collins's study guide have updates to accomdate changes to the PCAT? I noticed Kaplan and princeton's still include some materials no longer tested.
    Last edited: 05.23.12
  2. AlPacino

AlPacino "We Will!" Moderator

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would like to know about the Microbiology part as well. Will Bio 1 and 2 be enough, or should I take Microbiology?

Also

:clap:
  3. chelleonline

chelleonline

Pre-Pharmacy
    I came across a document on the pcat website that says that the "Diversity of Life Forms" refers to genetics.
  4. Buk Lau

Buk Lau

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That's scary. I haven't taken Genetics and I can't imagine what 5+ questions on Genetics could include. Maybe one on a punnet square, another on sex-linked traits...what else is there to test about that we learn in general bio?
  5. pharmlady28

pharmlady28

You have to know about animals and plants and also photosynthesis and Krebs cycle. I do not recall spectroscopy questions but i would review the main spectra for the main functional groups! Collins is great for bio and chem, not as much for analogies!Collins has an update for 2011 i am not sure if the 2012 is out yet... I am not familiar with Princeton etc!
  6. pharmlady28

pharmlady28

You need to know basics genetics and main genetic disorders
  7. AlPacino

AlPacino "We Will!" Moderator

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Knowing the main things about plants like photosynthesis, light reactions, calvin cycle, etc is not a problem. So about genetics, we would have to know the main disorders like Down Syndrome, Turner Syndrome,Pleitropy (Sickle-cell), Cystic Fibrosis?

Thanks
  8. mrubin

mrubin

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So if no non-human biology will be on the PCAT, should I not bother reviewing plant reproduction, plant/animal classification, evolution, animal behavior, ecology, etc.? And photosynthesis?
  9. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN Published Author hSDN Member SDN 5+ Year Member
    My god man, is that the rare triple negative?! I would say it would not be unwise to not study non-PCAT material.
  10. mrubin

mrubin

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha long day. Sorry about that, I just read that and confused myself.

But you made your point with your post hahaha
  11. rtsegovia

rtsegovia

Pre-Pharmacy
  12. vasoolraja

vasoolraja

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would really appreciate if someone can clarify my doubts:

1. Under the test blue print, the biology section is divided into 3 sections, namely B1, B2 and B3. B1 is general biology and under it there are 3 sub sections A. Cellular and molecular biol, B. Diversity of life forms, and F. Health. It appears like there is nothing in between subsections B and F. There is no C, D or E. Was the "F" a typo? Should that have been "C"?

2. What study material is good for mastering the Health section (nutrition, diseases and drugs) in the new PCAT?

3. Do the latest Collins prep materials or Kaplan contain all updated content for 2012-13 PCAT (health, diversity in life forms, molecular biology, etc)?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal