PCAT review - how long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modnar

Mmm... workahol
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How far in advance did you start studying for the PCAT? I have a prep book, but I'm crazy busy and won't get a chance to crack it open till June or so. I'm planning to take the PCAT in October or November (depending on when my fall break is).

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry too much about needing a bunch of time to review for the PCAT. A couple of weeks to a month prior should be fine. It's nice that they started a Nov. date this year.

Modnar said:
How far in advance did you start studying for the PCAT? I have a prep book, but I'm crazy busy and won't get a chance to crack it open till June or so. I'm planning to take the PCAT in October or November (depending on when my fall break is).

How far along are you in school? You probably won't need to review that much, I found that the PCAT tested a lot of knowledge that couldnt really be studied for that well. The PCAT guides were helpful because it gave me an idea of what to expect as far as length and content on the test, but none of the ones I used were really that useful. I did use some of the word exercise type books that are supposed to help build your vocabulary a bit, I thought they helped because it worked on prefixes, roots and suffixes rather than learning actual words...

Good luck with it! :thumbup:

I started doing the practice tests in Barron's two weeks prior to the test. I also started working problems out of my general chemistry textbook. The day/night before the test, I listened to the Audio Learn tapes biology section.

I didn't do anything for reading comprehension or verbal, as I am strong in both of those areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I picked up the books every so often and took a few practice tests while watching tv. Then I brushed up on the areas were I obviously had fallen asleep in class.

They also give the test in November this year, on top of one in October? That is awesome :D Another chance for me to take it if I do bad in October.

- BUMP -

Seeing as this topic is fairly old, I would like to pose this question again to a new audience. For those of you who performed well or plan on performing well on the PCAT, how long do you intend to study for/ how long have you studied for? Answers in weeks, months, etc.

Much appreciated

Personally, I think that in order to get a good grade in PCAT, we need 4-6 months, dont procrasiate until the last minutes because it wont work quite well...I remember that the first time I took PCAT in last August with barely 2 months studying [ actually I didn't study that much, and I only completed Organic Chem II, did not take Bio 2] and I got 59%...Second time in Octorber [around 1-2 months after ) I got 76%...and the last time I took it in Jan [ just review over ] and I got 91%...The amount of studying was less for the next time, but I got higher grades because I studied step by step and dont wait until the last minutes to do it. I had a friend, and he studied for a year [just take it slowly, a little day by day], and he got 96% for the first time took it...In addition, there is another friend stuyding with me...He got 51% for August test, and for last jan test, he got 88%....We, three, all got accepted to Univeristy of Florida College of Pharmacy next Fall 2008....Trust me guys, you will have a lot of time until next year...Therefore, take it from now....

Personally, I think that in order to get a good grade in PCAT, we need 4-6 months, dont procrasiate until the last minutes because it wont work quite well...I remember that the first time I took PCAT in last August with barely 2 months studying [ actually I didn't study that much, and I only completed Organic Chem II, did not take Bio 2] and I got 59%...Second time in Octorber [around 1-2 months after ) I got 76%...and the last time I took it in Jan [ just review over ] and I got 91%...The amount of studying was less for the next time, but I got higher grades because I studied step by step and dont wait until the last minutes to do it. I had a friend, and he studied for a year [just take it slowly, a little day by day], and he got 96% for the first time took it...In addition, there is another friend stuyding with me...He got 51% for August test, and for last jan test, he got 88%....We, three, all got accepted to Univeristy of Florida College of Pharmacy next Fall 2008....Trust me guys, you will have a lot of time until next year...Therefore, take it from now....

any suggestion on the materials ?

Biology: Go to book store, get the SAT II subject for Biology of kaplan, trust me...the tips in these book are very very very alike to the test....The material is used for high school students; thus, it explains better than any books from Kaplan for PCAT or MCAT....I went to bookstore everyday, and enjoyed my readings [did not study]..this book also has quite good practice exercises. [you may need a littl more from your biology book, but not that much] ..I got 21% for first time with no reason, 53% for second time, just review a little, but for third time, I did not study anything but enjoy to review this book, and I got 83% for Bio section...

Chemistry: [ I am chemistry tutors, and I am sure this will help you to get a good grade. Go to grab the Barron Book for PCAT [the newest editions]...The practice is quite similiar to the test, although it is quite easy but it is what it is in the test...It wont be difficult for the questions in the test but just need to understand the most basic how to do it....For organic Chem, trust me, review the last sections in the General Chemistry book, they are from there a lot..Make sure you know how to name structure, understand some basic reactions..you will be fine...I got 95% for first time, 97% for second time, and 99% for Chem section in the last time..

Math: I did not do any review for this because I am a Math Tutor also....Thus, I found that got the problem quite easy...but, for suggestion, do practice in Barron Book, it is good....do review for Tangent line, how to take basic derivative [ the slope of tangent line], point slope formular [ how to find equation of line], basic logarithm [ ln, log, basic calculation for it], Basic simplify, rarely for convertion but not too difficult, how to simplify fraction, how to FOIL (need to be quick), how to do the words problem like the timing [ example, if one works for 1 hours, the other one works for 2 hours...how long they will work together to finish one jobs], or distance [ application of Distance = Time * Velocity], or Filling volume [ a tank consumes 2 gallons of gas for 5 miles, if the full gas tanks can drive for 5 hours with the speed of 15 miles per hour. How much gas does the tank can contains]...Those are basic questions which will appear in the test all the time... For statistic, just focus on the "meaning" of Mean, median, average, and standard deviation...that is good enough....Take it fast but accurate..PCAT is not difficult but how to be accurate in the short amount of time...

Vocabulary: Go online, and buy this book, it will definitely help, 501 vocabulary analogy words [very helpful for analogy part], if u want to improve more, go online to search for some practice for GRE...it is qutie similiar to PCAT analogy...Or if you want to improve in the fill in the blank, go to Get SAT review from Kaplan...they are very very very alike....

Reading: Get the PCAT from Kaplan, it will help to have some practices, remember, the answers are always in the passage.....

when were you accepted?

I know you said the newest barron but the older barron verison blow *** and were easy and ******edly not like the test. I will go and check the newest Barron version, along with my kaplan course.

also what year is the newest barron version? I can't find it online.

when were you accepted?

I know you said the newest barron but the older barron verison blow *** and were easy and ******edly not like the test. I will go and check the newest Barron version, along with my kaplan course.

also what year is the newest barron version? I can't find it online.

I got accepted to UF for next Fall 08 today, only applied for two school, UF and Nova....

I dont know, I used to review the older barron version but it was not good, and it did not have that much update for Organic Chem and Bio[ mostly the same with older version ].... I bought the Barron book last Octorber in Barn& Noble, and I found many differences from the older version [ it is like the real test more]...Go to the book store nd check it out...Basically, trust me, the Chem questions in the real tests are not difficult, just very basic concepts for Chem...If you dont get it, the PCAT kaplan will show you the steps but it wont be practical in the test since it will be in multiple choice form [too long, they try to help you to understand problems, not to do well the test]...The more exercises you practice, the better way you will perform in the test...[Find more practice exercise in SAT subjects for CHEM, it would help to understand problems and have more practices]

Well...I just gave away my book to my cousin...Therefore, I dont know what edition it is....