PCO or SCO? Help me choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeDocJoe2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been offered a seat at both PCO in Philly and SCO in Memphis. I don't know which to choose! PCO's tuition is about 33k/year while SCO's is about 23k/year. Tell me which you would choose and why, both with and without considering the tuition...Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been offered a seat at both PCO in Philly and SCO in Memphis. I don't know which to choose! PCO's tuition is about 33k/year while SCO's is about 23k/year. Tell me which you would choose and why, both with and without considering the tuition...Thanks for the advice!

Not sure about SCO but PCO has a strong clinical oriented program and gives more time to clinical rotations than most other schools (1.5yr). The Eye Clinic is in the inner city and has a large diverse pathology base that you will learn alot from. Good luck! :xf:

I had the same situation and chose PCO based on their clinic and more time with externships, but I still kinda wish I would have went to SCO based on the tuition. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from pennsylvania and was choosing between the same two schools and went with SCO. I dont know about PCO but I am really happy with SCO- everyone at the school is so nice and supportive- it is like its own nice community. The clinic is connected to the school and is very up-to-date. We have lots of new equipment and the school just bought a couple lasers which will become part of the curriculum. We also have a broader scope of practice in TN than in PA so we are trained in injections and other medical therapy. We see a TON of disease at the clinic because alot of the patients are low income- lots of HTN, diabetes, and glaucoma. AND THERES THE BBQ :)

Filthadelphia vs Memphrika...... basically the same socioeconomic patient base, PCO is bigger by about 40? people, SCO is just optometry, Tuition difference is negligible.

Bottom line is go where you want to go. Deep-down you know where that is so just follow your heart. The longer you wait making your decision the longer someone on the wait-list has to wait. Have a heart! I say SCO because that's where I went, but you'll like wherever you go... always remember that.

Filthadelphia vs Memphrika...... basically the same socioeconomic patient base, PCO is bigger by about 40? people, SCO is just optometry, Tuition difference is negligible.

I have to respectifully disagree. The difference in tuition the OP wrote was approximately $10,000/year. To me, that is not "negligible".