PCO/Salus traditional program interview.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apzambia32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I believe PCO needs the following types of recommendation letters:
  • Arrange to have forwarded directly to OptomCAS the following letters of evaluation to fulfill the requirement for Pennsylvania College of Optometry at Salus University either:
    • a Pre-Professional Committee letter of evaluation (consult with your college/university pre-professional advisor regarding the policy for providing letters of recommendation for pre-professional applicants).
      -OR-
    • three natural science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Mathematics) teaching faculty
      -OR-
    • two science teaching faculty and one practicing optometrist whom you have shadowed.
      -OR-
    • a letter packets containing the letters outlined above. Each leter within the letter packet a student wishes to have reviewed should be listed individually on OptomCAS.
  • Additional letters will enhance the file but will not fulfill our required letters of evaluation.

The 3rd option best fits my particular situation. When I originally applied back in early July the only confirmed LOR that I had within OptomCAS were from an optometrist, science professor and non-science professor. I just received an interview request from PCO without my 2nd science LOR. Do you all think it would be in my best interest to still interview out there? (I'm from AZ). I'm not sure if I would have to have a 2nd science LOR to even have a complete file with them, is it weird to get an interview without having the required letters.

I'm assuming if I do attend the interview and they like me I would receive a provisional acceptance until PCO receives that 2nd science LOR.

I would appreciate any insight anyone has to offer on the matter.

If this is a redundant question, please accept my apologies in advance.
EDIT: I just received an email from PCO saying that it is up the the applicant to complete a file. However a decision can be made on the interview.
Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PCO only care about $$, so ya, you can send them no LOR and still get in. I am a third year, trust me. I personally would not recommend this place, you will get more and more disappointed and frustrated as time goes by, while flushing down huge amount of $$ down the drain. If I were you, I would rather look into west coast schools or NECO and SUNY (east coast) instead. Best of luck...

Cheers, thanks for the words of advise. I ended up declining the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCO only care about $$, so ya, you can send them no LOR and still get in. I am a third year, trust me. I personally would not recommend this place, you will get more and more disappointed and frustrated as time goes by, while flushing down huge amount of $$ down the drain. If I were you, I would rather look into west coast schools or NECO and SUNY (east coast) instead. Best of luck...
I also go to PCO, and I just want to say that I pretty much agree with this post. I have been disappointed throughout my time here, and I wish I had gone somewhere else. There is a lot of disappointment among students. Sure, some of the professors do care, but it doesn't make up for how disorganized everything seems. And yes, they really do seem to care about making as much money as possible. It starts to feel degrading after a while. There are also certain academic departments that really need a complete overhaul due to lack of quality--including outdated teaching methods and equipment, students being disrespected, and students being needlessly threatened. Yet, despite a high number of student complaints, changes aren't really seen. I would definitely look into other schools if you get interviews. Sorry for being so harsh, but my life would be a lot better if someone had been this honest with me.

Reactions: 1 user
good info,Yet, despite a high number of student complaints, changes aren't really seen,thank you
b4gaWr

I live in LA lol. I just bought the flight ticket but I couldn't find the hotel closest to Salus U. There are all like 5 miles away.
I live in pa. I know, there aren't many hotels around. Let me know how your interview goes.

I have an interview next week with PCO and I'm so nervous about it! Help please!

I have an interview next week with PCO and I'm so nervous about it! Help please!
No need to be nervous. The PCO interview is extremely laid back in a one on one setting. It is also very conversational and you honestly control where the conversation goes. I was recently accepted and have decided to attend next year. Good luck with the interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry too much! Just make sure you prepare your interview through what's provided on SDN and do mock interviews. They were very chill
No need to be nervous. The PCO interview is extremely laid back in a one on one setting. It is also very conversational and you honestly control where the conversation goes. I was recently accepted and have decided to attend next year. Good luck with the interview!
Hey congrats! How long did it take for you to hear back from them regarding your acceptance after the interview?

Thank you so much everyone!

Last edited:
Don't worry too much! Just make sure you prepare your interview through what's provided on SDN and do mock interviews. They were very chill

Hey congrats! How long did it take for you to hear back from them regarding your acceptance after the interview?

By the way, do you know anyone who was interviewed but did not get in after?

I'm also wondering how long it took to hear back, because its been almost three weeks for me!