PCO vs SCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RebeccaK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am having a really difficult time deciding between these schools. I loved the facility at SCO and could tell it was a great program, but I am scared of living in memphis and felt their wasn't much to do in the area. I really liked PCO and the early clinical experience, but a lot of people have said negative things about the program. I am just looking for some honest feedback from students who attend these schools.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same exact boat as you right now. Loved SCO for the same reasons (amazing faculty and program) and didn't like it because I felt there wasn't much to do in Memphis. Love PCO too because I am from Philly and they have an excellent clinical program! I also get worried that there are some negative posts on here about PCO.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel the same... most of the negative/outspoken posts are about PCO students disliking PCO ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Future Colleagues

Maybe I can help provide some insight about SCO and Memphis. I like you was torn between SCO, PCO and a few other schools. I grew up in Richmond Virginia, attended the University of Virginia, and I am currently a 3rd year student at SCO. I had only visited Memphis for my interview prior to moving here so it was a big jump for me considering I didn't know a single person within a 10 hour drive. Memphis is a great place to be with a lot of fun things to do. This past weekend for example I saw live music three nights in a row, one of which was the Foo Fighters. There is a incredible live music scene and tons of great free shows from local artist. There is always something going on that you can get your hands into. Not only that but SCO has a great student culture. Every weekend my friends (classmates) and I are out exploring the city together. SCO even has float trips scheduled 2 times a year just so everyone has the chance to kick back and enjoy each others company. There is so many things to do I often have trouble having enough time to do them all. I encourage you to follow Choose901 on instagram to see just a little bit of what goes on in Memphis.

SCO is an awesome school. The education you get here is outstanding. Seriously. Memphis is awesome as well. I have never once regretted my decision to attend SCO in Memphis.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Best,
Matthew

Reactions: 3 users
You won't go wrong with SCO. Great facilities, great program, and more importantly great barbecue. I don't see what the problem is.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know much about SCO, but from talking to a current PCO student they say the clinical program is not all it's cracked up to be, because it might be busywork, or not be synced up well with the curriculum. They also have pretty old equipment but I think they're updating it now?

At one of my interviews, I met a guy who had just interviewed at a couple schools and told me SCO was his first choice because of the program. He also described how rich the culture of Memphis is with convincing passion! He wasn't even from Memphis. That sort of attitude about a school stuck with me, and I feel like I'll make my decision based on my passion for the school.

Not to mention it is less expensive to go to SCO than many other schools. Factor in cost of housing.

Thanks everyone! I actually ended up choosing a different school, but thanks for the great advice and hopefully someone else can use this post to help them with their decision!

Hey Everyone!

I am also a third year student at SCO, but as a Pittsburgh native I was also torn between the two schools! I knew SCO was a great program, but I was also intimidated by the move to Memphis. I am so glad this did not keep me from attending SCO! And as it turns out, Memphis is a great city to be a graduate student, as there are a lot of grad schools in the area. It has grown so much in the last few years and really is an up-and-coming city. From newly renovated lofts to trendy places to eat, I love living in the city and it is minutes from school and clinic. There is plenty to do between Beale Street, Overton Square, shopping, music, parks and, the best part, it is VERY affordable! Honestly, it may be a bit of a transition at first if you are used to a huge city, but any place you move to will require an adjustment. Remember, optometry school is about becoming the best doctor you can be, and SCO prepares you both didactically and clinically to reach these potentials. It was a hard decision process, but given the choice again I would still choose SCO (and Memphis) in a heartbeat!

Went to PCO. If I had to do the experience over again, I would choose SCO or ICO.

"Went to PCO. If I had to do the experience over again, I would choose SCO or ICO"

Digitalized,

I have recently been accepted to PCO and I am contemplating whether to attend or not, what about PCO makes you say you would have chose differently? will appreciate your insight!