PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone!
I submitted in my application on 3/10 for the Philly campus and am just waiting for then to receive my LOR and undergrad transcript. Hopefully, that will happen within the next two weeks.

What is the turn around time to hear whether you've been accepted or rejected after your application is marked complete?

@j9260 I was accepted at the Philly campus about 10 days after I was marked complete so its a pretty quick turn around time. My stats were ~3.4 GPA and a 30MCAT so my stats were above the average for this program which might have to do with how quickly I was accepted. Best of luck with your application and maybe I'll see you this fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@j9260 I was accepted at the Philly campus about 10 days after I was marked complete so its a pretty quick turn around time. My stats were ~3.4 GPA and a 30MCAT so my stats were above the average for this program which might have to do with how quickly I was accepted. Best of luck with your application and maybe I'll see you this fall!
Did you receive a letter in the mail notifying you of your acceptance into the program?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How did you receive your acceptance? Also did your online application portal change?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great news! I hope so!
My cGPA is above average, but my sGPA is a 3.2 and my MCATs aren't so hot. But I'm hoping they'll be able to look past that with my other strengths and give me a chance.

You'll get a letter in the mail. It will be your acceptance letter and a few forms you need to complete. The application portal doesn't change once everything is marked as received(dated).
It's been a long time since my application has been completed and I still haven't received it. I'm becoming paranoid about it to be honest. I applied to another school but I really like PCOM because it's my top choice.

I was also accepted into the Philly program. I think they received all of my documents by the beginning of March, and it took like around 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
@j9260 From what I can tell a 3.2 sGPA is right around/slightly above average for this program and an MCAT is something you can fix so if you have some strong EC's on your application than you should have a solid chance at getting in. If you do get in just make sure you take care of ur MCAT studying this summer so you aren't stressing over studying for it during the semesters.

@burritobowl60 Are you sure that everything is marked complete? If you are than unfortunately for some its just a waiting game, hopefully you'll hear back soon!

Does anybody know if there is a facebook group going yet for those of us starting in the fall?

I was also accepted into the Philly program. I think they received all of my documents by the beginning of March, and it took like around 2 weeks.
Congrats! Hopefully I'll see you in the fall!

Last edited:
Maybe I just need some patience is all! What were your stats by the way if you don't mind sharing?

@PurpleParrots927 I checked the online portal and it seems that everything has been received by the admissions office. Does it indicate anywhere on the online portal as "marked complete?"

@PurpleParrots927 I checked the online portal and it seems that everything has been received by the admissions office. Does it indicate anywhere on the online portal as "marked complete?"

All it will show on the online portal is the date when the item was received. If all the dates are filled in than you're application is complete. If you're unsure you can always call and ask the nice people in the admissions office. Best of luck!

@j9260 From what I can tell a 3.2 sGPA is right around/slightly above average for this program and an MCAT is something you can fix so if you have some strong EC's on your application than you should have a solid chance at getting in. If you do get in just make sure you take care of ur MCAT studying this summer so you aren't stressing over studying for it during the semesters.

That's the thing though. If I'm accepted, I wasn't sure when I should study for the MCATs because I was banking on the post-bacc classes to strengthen up my sciences, especially biochemistry, before taking the exam. But I definitely can start preparing this summer (especially with subjects that aren't going to be covered in the curriculum, like CARS and physics)! Thanks for the tip!

Any current students around that have suggestions on where to live? I know the parking on campus is relatively cheap and since class isn't every day in this program Id be willing to live a little bit away from the school if it meant nicer housing at cheaper prices.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason I feel like if they haven't sent the letter by this time it's fair to assume that they have rejected me as an applicant to the program. Is this a safe assumption? I don't want to wait until much later.

For some reason I feel like if they haven't sent the letter by this time it's fair to assume that they have rejected me as an applicant to the program. Is this a safe assumption? I don't want to wait until much later.

They accept all the way into July, it's just a waiting game. You said earlier it's your top choice, so I wouldn't give up now. They would have sent a letter if you were rejected. You can try calling to check the status of your application but I'm not sure what they can tell you

My friend got a letter 2 weeks before orientation. I applied in January, complete in March, acceptance letter June 1. I thought they rejected me too, or lost some documents I don't know, but I got an email first, then a letter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They accepted me about two weeks before classes started. Don't lose hope, you'll be fine :)

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!! . I'm overjoyed and happy!!!! Good luck to everybody who applies in this program. God speed everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats on all the acceptances. I hope that y'all succeed in this SMP.

My goodness I'm so happy for you. I knew you would get in, congratulations. You're going to the GA campus, correct? If so, see you there. :clap:
Thank you!! I'm pretty excited about this program and I am definitely looking forward to it. Yes, I applied and was accepted in the GA campus. How about you?

Thank you!! I'm pretty excited about this program and I am definitely looking forward to it. Yes, I applied and was accepted in the GA campus. How about you?

Yep, I'm also going to the GA campus.

hey all, about to put in my deposit. i'm on academic hold for the DO program here, but i will be attending the biomed program if it doesn't work out. either way, i'll be at PCOM in the fall! georgia campus.

Anybody attending the Philly program looking for roommates? I'm looking into apartments which all seem to be 2bedrooms max or maybe at houses if there are more people interested.

Also does anybody know if a Facebook group has been made for this class yet? I tried searching but didn't see one for 2016-2017.

I'm looking for roommates as well but I will be attending the Georgia campus. Maybe student affairs can help facilitate that?

There will be listings posted on the FB group as well from the admissions. But some found roommates off of SDN

is PCOM supposed to send an email or anything after you pay the deposit? my portal says $500 paid in the received items column and i have the email receipt and everything from paying the deposit, but is there supposed to be any more information sent to us as well?

Do i have a shot at this program with a 3.0 sgpa and around 495
Mcat

They will periodically start sending you information piece by piece. For now make sure you submit your FAFSA and the forms that came with your letter.
Thanks so much for all your help granny watkins!

Does anyone know what happens if your MCAT is good enough to get into the post bacc but expires during the post bacc year? Does it have to be retaken to get into the DO school? Or do they use the score that they took for the post bacc program?

Give admissions a call. They should know or check PCOM's policy on that topic. You are not going to get concrete answers from random posters on sdn. Go to the source...

Give admissions a call. They should know or check PCOM's policy on that topic. You are not going to get concrete answers from random posters on sdn. Go to the source...
True. Although maybe someone has this same experience?

Does anyone know what happens if your MCAT is good enough to get into the post bacc but expires during the post bacc year? Does it have to be retaken to get into the DO school? Or do they use the score that they took for the post bacc program?
I am going to retake my MCAT in the summer and hopefully do better this time so that I can use that score to apply broadly to DO programs including the one at PCOM.

I thought I'd share my experiences in PCOM Biomedical Sciences Program, since I'm indebted to SDN on so much information that enabled me to get this far. In fact, I wouldn't have known about PCOM if it wasn't for SDN!

So here it goes...

0. Overall impressions
- Faculty members are very engaging and willing to help their students. They're really easy to approach and you will have a much more personal relationship with them than you did with undergrad professors, especially if you're from a large school.
- There is a strong sense of solidarity among students in the program. Sharing of information and helpful resources come really handy throughout the year. Get to know them; you do need a break from time to time and those are the people that you would hang around with.
- To my own surprise, PCOM offers a ton of research opportunities for students. In case you're interested, take time to read over faculty page for their areas of research nefore the fall term starts, and send them your resume. Research can be done in conjunction with Federal Work Study program, which helps with finances as well. It would be best to get a position in the lab at the beginning, possibly a couple of weeks before classes start. The students who begin research later in the year (like winter or spring) find it difficult to get involved in concrete projects, so this is something for you to keep in mind.
- Classes are held 5-9pm, 3 days a week, so you will have time to pursue other things. Flexibility is the key here; NEVER hesitate to cut down your other schedules when you're beginning to struggle. I've learned that lesson the hard way.
- A majority of students in the program seek admission to PCOM's own DO program, with a few of them shooting for dental schools, PA schools, etc. Many people would apply/interview during the first year, while others choose to apply after the first year. As always, applying early will maximize your chances.
- IMPORTANT: If MD is your ultimate goal (like I used to be), I would not come here. You would be better off taking more classes and/or retaking MCAT to have at least 3.7/30 or 508. If neither are your options (too many undergrad credit/MCAT retakes), then adjust your expectations and focus on DO route.

1. First Trimester
- In retrospect, this semester was the easiest one. The courses are mostly straightforward biochem and immunology, and then some. There are no cadaver labs (Anatomy) or hundreds of drugs to memorize (Pharmacology). Make sure you do well on these two for a strong start. For every class, you have the option of video-streaming the lecture at home (Tegrity), but being physically there in the lecture hall worked better for me. Again, this is based on personal preference so do whatever that works for you.
- Molecular Basis of Medicine (MBM): The grade for this class is really important for DO admission, along with anatomy. I heard (please don't quote me on this) that the adcoms look for B+ or higher for when considering the applicant. There are a lot of grounds to cover for each exam (think 3x material than your typical undergrad class). Not falling behind is the key; you should shoot for 1-2 hours of studying each day.
- Infectious Processes (IP): The course is bit less rigorous than MBM, but still demands a lot of work. It covers much broader spectrum of subjects, ranging from immunology, microbiology, parasitology, and some current issues (e. g. Ebola outbreak). Some of the concepts, especially in immunology, are complex and not always straightforward; they take some time to settle down in minds, so don't freak out if everything doesn't make sense immediately. There are two in-class group activity, which I didn't particularly enjoy but still helped me understand the disease processes in a clinical setting.

2. Second Trimester
- Here we switch gears from concept-oriented classes to more visual subjects of anatomy and histology. This was the time when I started feeling a little burned out. Although I did okay in the first trimester, it took me a while to transition to completely different subjects. As I'm not the greatest visual learner, I probably had to spend a lot more time in the lab than others did. Be prepared to be there for a while even after the class is officially dismissed. Attendance in lecture/lab is not required, but I would not miss any of them if possible. I became a firm believer in group studying after this trimester.
- Anatomy: Again, adjusting your strategies is important. As the trimester went on, I focused less on reading and going over concepts by myself and relied more on group studying using cadavers and specimens while quizzing one another. That way I was still able to save myself from the worst outcome in spite of poor exam grades at the beginning. Anatomy is another key course for admissions; shoot for a B+ or better and you will be fine. Very few people (less than 5% of all students I believe) ever managed to get an A in this class so don't feel bad about yourself if you don't.
Regarding anatomy lab attire, Any long pants/t-shirts/closed shoes will do fine and long lab coat is provided free of charge. Just don't bring your Sunday best to the labs, since you would want to throw them out at the end of the trimester due to cadaver smell. It doesn't make much sense to buy $40+ scrubs from the bookstore.
- Histology: By far the most straightforward class of the program. Class is divided into lecture and lab. Lab begins with another short lecture and allows for a lot of group study so use these times to your own advantage. Attend every lab and take detailed notes. Rent a microscope from the classroom not the bookstore, and you would be spared from the trouble of carrying it to every class.

3. Third Trimester
- During the first and second trimesters, I kept hearing people say that this was the "easiest" trimester of the three. WRONG. I found that it was only partially right, since pharmacology was a killer, while physiology was a breeze, with neuroscience somewhere in the middle of the two. I would spend at least 50% of my time studying for pharmacology.
- It is also the time pick a concentration for the second year. There are currently three options: Forensics, Organizational Development and Leadership (ODL), and Thesis Research. People choose Forensics more to improve their grades and probably less due to personal interest in the subject itself. ODL is a great option if you're into learning about how to talk to people and manage relationships, both of which are essential skills in any career. Thesis research is chosen by the fewest students; however, it is the best concentration in terms of obtaining a job AND getting into a professional school after graduation. I will elaborate on this later.
- Pharmacology: Personally the biggest challenge in the whole program; a brutal class to say the least. I honestly don't have too much of good advice to offer. But other successful people 1) actually went to classes, 2) made flash cards way before the exams, 3) tried to get the "big picture." It's too easy to panic at literally hundreds of drug names and attempt to memorize all of them in futility, but it's important to calm oneself down and understand the story behind them. That indeed takes a while to process so definitely shift your priorities for the third trimester around pharmacology.
- Neuroscience: This class involves a lot of neural pathways in processing the signal and movement. Be sure of what would go wrong if certain parts are damaged. In addition to two exams, there is a graded group presentation, which gives you the opportunity to show off your speech skills AND to write a couple of exam questions.
- Physiology: Now it's time for you to take some breather after all the hard work so far. The course has 6 bi-weekly exams and a lab practical, which makes it much easier to study. Be there for the labs (muscle, cardio, and pulmonary) to have some fun!

4. Concluding Remarks
- Getting good grades in the program is definitely important, but building the right relationships and nurturing your passion will take you much further. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do so.
- If you choose to do the second year, definitely do research. Volunteer early in the year to get to know the professors and be open about your intentions of joining the lab for a thesis project. Even if you're not able to get what you're looking for (I know a lot more people are interested, say, in cancer or HIV, than in basic biochemistry), that by itself won't preclude you from switching to other subjects during your education/career. What counts the most is the publication of any kind and experience. As long as you have the sufficient grades to get you to the interview, it's those types of credentials that will push you over the edge. No other experiences show more clearly that you're a dedicated and hard-working person with a mastery of scientific principles that underpin healthcare professions. I was a bit skeptical about my advisor telling me those things at the beginning of the year, but now I fully understand the implications.

Throughout the program, I suffered from a lot of anxiety due to lack of information and initiative. Assuming that you've carefully read through what I wrote above, you should now have a good grasp on how the program works. So don't be like me and take control of your own course of education as early as possible.

If you have more questions, FIND someone to ask them when you come here to PCOM. Be it biomeds, DOs, professors, or someone in the admissions office, that's how you will learn to be proactive (if you haven't already) and gain access to more up to date information.

Best of luck to everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
thanks so much! are you from the PA or GA program?

can anyone at ga-pcom confirm class times and also how many/which nights of the week class meets? i read somewhere that it's not a standard M-F

Mon-Thurs 4-7

Will having a part-time job be a hindrance to success while attending to the Biomedical Sciences program? I am also considering doing additional shadowing and/or research while I'm there.

I have a full time job as an RN. My job is incredibly flexible on when I work.

The tour guides at the GA campus tour said the classes were from 4-7pm. Is it different at each campus? Also, why should you not do the program if you're going to apply to allopathic schools? The tour guides, who were biomed students, said people do apply MD.

There seems to be a variation in the class schedule between the programs, and in each year. I would contact each campus for most up-to-date info.

MD acceptance from here is very rare, although I've seen a lot of people getting into other DO schools.

Part of the reason is a tough grading system. Realistically, you shouldn't come to the program expecting that you will be getting all As. You're competing with a completely different population than you did during undergrad. Case in point, less than 10% of people from my class got an A in anatomy.

To make matters worse, a lot of medical schools gloss over the fact that the program is actually modeled after the medical curriculum, and give the SMP grade about the same (or even less) weight as the undergrad grades. This tendency is a lot more pronounced in MD programs. I also fear that PCOM isn't as highly recognized outside of the osteopathic profession.

All in all, PCOM Biomed is an excellent program. I'm simply saying that there are more efficient and economical ways to get into MD schools.

Yeah just as luftfaust has stated...if you are interested in MD and both of your gpas are on the low side then you need to take additional upper division courses at the undergraduate level. A solid performance in a rigorous post-bac load combined with a SMP hosted at an allopathic school should increase your odds of an acceptance to MD schools. You would be wasting your time doing a SMP at an osteopathic school just so you could apply to some MD schools.

A solid performance in a rigorous post-bac load combined with a SMP hosted at an allopathic school should increase your odds of an acceptance to MD schools. You would be wasting your time doing a SMP at an osteopathic school just so you could apply to some MD schools.

I think you have some good insight, but I have to respectfully disagree, or at least say that it depends on the school. I don't see why the same solid performance in a rigorous post-bac load combined with a SMP at an osteopathic school wouldn't increase odds at MD school. Certainly, doing well in both of these things would make an applicant MUCH stronger than the same applicant straight out of undergrad with less than stellar grades.

I actually met with an adcom member from Mercer (if that matters to anyone at all) and I was asking them about PCOM's SMP vs Mercer's (as location and cost were factors for me). They said that while they prefer their own students who perform well (obviously) over outside students who perform well, a student who does well in any SMP has as good a chance as any other.
--

TL;DR -
SMP at any school will help you get into med school, more so to THAT school's med school.

The key is performing WELL in the SMP. I've been told that just doing a SMP and getting average or bad grades will simply waste time and money.

If you are going to PCOM's SMP in order to go to med school at all, you should probably have high interest in D.O./attending school there but it is possible to go MD/elsewhere

Last edited:
They said that while they prefer their own students who perform well (obviously) over outside students

That's fine but honestly if you are focused on MD, then going to a SMP hosted at one makes more sense (an acceptance to an MD school is already hard enough on top of a low gpa and osteopathic SMPs are not well recognized by allopathic schools). If DO is your primary focus then I don't see an issue. This is just my opinion...its your call.

i got you. hard to know exactly how those wacky adcoms work anyway...

regardless, yes D.O. is my focus, specifically PCOM, so i guess the point is moot. best of luck! :)

Is like to apply to MD and DO schools upon successful completion of the program. I've heard mixed responses about the difficulty of the program and I'm well aware that the curriculum is tough but on average how many hours per day/week do you spend studying? It maybe unrealistic to aim for those straight As in the program but how hard is it to maintain a 3.5+ GPA throughout the program assuming that's good enough to matriculate into the DO program? How about MD specifically?

Honestly I don't find a huge disparity between the two except for the preference for MDs in certain specialties like derm, radio, neurosurgery etc. None of which really piques my interest currently lol.