PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, I was just accepted into this program and was wondering if anyone had an idea of what their success rate is on students entering a medical school after the first year. I am only searching for DO schools, preferably PCOM, but any would just fine. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys!

My cumulative GPA is around a 2.3 (with retake replacements: 2.86) at the moment. It will be around a 2.5 (with retake replacement: ~3.0+) after May. I will ask the admission if they can wait for my semester grades to go in. I am taking the GRE and I really hope that score will be high enough to kind of over power my low gpa. I have a ton of extracurricular activities/shadowing/volunteering/work experience (even though they only allow you to write like 5). I just don't know if it's smart to apply. What do you guys think? I was hoping that I'd get into PCOM's Master's Program and then go to their DO school because I really need a chance to show that my undergrad GPA does not define me.

If not, I have no idea what to do with a gap year :(.

Will having a part-time job be a hindrance to success while attending to the Biomedical Sciences program? I am also considering doing additional shadowing and/or research while I'm there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
You will have to work harder than your peers, but it can be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would keep taking classes to boost your gpa. Its god awful. Even then, it probably might not be enough because you did pretty terrible on your retakes too if its less than a 3.0. Youve shown absolutely nothing that you can handle med school-caliber classes when you cant even handle college. Unless you get every question right on the mcat or know someone at pcom, id say you have an extremely low shot and id highly reccomend considering another career.

Hey Guys!

My cumulative GPA is around a 2.3 (with retake replacements: 2.86) at the moment. It will be around a 2.5 (with retake replacement: ~3.0+) after May. I will ask the admission if they can wait for my semester grades to go in. I am taking the GRE and I really hope that score will be high enough to kind of over power my low gpa. I have a ton of extracurricular activities/shadowing/volunteering/work experience (even though they only allow you to write like 5). I just don't know if it's smart to apply. What do you guys think? I was hoping that I'd get into PCOM's Master's Program and then go to their DO school because I really need a chance to show that my undergrad GPA does not define me.

Hey Guys!

Hey Jasi912,

If I am reading your post correctly, you are saying your cumulative gpa with retakes will be a 2.86 and your science gpa with retakes will be ~3.0+ after May? If so I would not advice you to apply to a SMP or a traditional masters program. Instead I would advice you to continue retaking all you F/D/C's you received in your science courses and some additional upper division courses (take advantage of grade replacement). Ideally you should try to max out on the amount of undergraduate hours you can take until it is no longer fruitful (hardly raises your gpas) Once you have a solid multi-semester of mostly A's and a sprinkle of B's (everyone plans for A's but not always the result), study long and hard for the mcat (take it once and only when you are consistently scoring at a competitive range on your practice tests). You have to have a great mcat score to redeem your gpas. Then apply early and broadly to schools (some schools reward reinvention and a strong upward trend). SMPs should really be a last ditch attempt to show adcoms you can handle medical school ( high reward if you kill it, but high risk if you bomb and do poorly). Your past does not define you (prove to yourself and adcoms that this statement is true). And do not be discouraged by the words of others. A lot of people have climbed there way out of low abysmal gpas and so can you.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what happens if your MCAT is good enough to get into the post bacc but expires during the post bacc year? Does it have to be retaken to get into the DO school? Or do they use the score that they took for the post bacc program?
Scores good for 3 years both programs, so if you apply to enter 2017 the score has to be after August 2014 I think

Jasi912, apply. It's people in my class with similar stats. What can it hurt? Stop listening to these people honestly, if they say no, they say no, but it's a definite No if you don't even try.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, I was just accepted into this program and was wondering if anyone had an idea of what their success rate is on students entering a medical school after the first year. I am only searching for DO schools, preferably PCOM, but any would just fine. Thanks.

I just got accepted to the program at PCOM Philly and I have the same question. This program sounds great and I am very interested in attending PCOM for med school, but I'm curious to know what percentage of students end up matriculating into PCOM after 1 year of the Biomedical Science program.

How do you guys study for MCAT verbal reasoning? I can't seem to do well on it. Is it really a skill set that one is born with? I have done 2-3 verbal practice passages daily for about a month and I have not seen any significant improvement as of today. I just did a CARS q bank by the AAMC, did about 3 passages and did terrible on them. Some of the passage I've only answered 1/7 questions. My test is a little more than a month away and I'm contemplating whether I should push it back or not?

You are not ready for the test. Ideally you are suppose to have a competitive MCAT score, strong ECs and a good amount of shadowing hours prior to applying to an SMP to reap the benefits (speedy acceptance to the host medical school/avoiding a gap year). Your gpa is already low so it would be in your best interest to really take your time and perform well on this career dictating test. Some people can juggle a part-time or full-time job while performing well in an SMP (either they don't have a choice or they have a dependent to care for). But if you don't need to work/have financial support (live with parents), then don't because as previously stated it is very hard to get A's in this SMP you can't afford to be bogged down by a clinical related-job, volunteering/shadowing/ECs (your supposed to already have these things checked off before an SMP anyways). Your primary focus in an SMP (if I were in your position) is to study like there's no tomorrow, get A's, solidify relationships with your profs (go to office hours after every class/actively participate in the class room by asking questions) go to tutoring sessions, join a few clubs on campus to show you want to be in the environment...the faculty members are interviewing you the whole time you are in the program.

Yeah this test is really the deciding factor for me. I did well in the hard sciences but apparently I can't dissect passages well enough to warrant an acceptance to medical school. Sigh.

does anyone have average stats for philly campus? im scared to death that i wont get in, i have a 3.01 science gpa (with retakes), 3.13 cumulative, 2 DO letters, 1 MD letter, 1 LOR from my boss (RN) 3 science professor letters. taking mcat in july....

When does PCOM's biomedical students usually study for the MCATs, for those who still have to take or re-take the exam? Especially since the new MCAT has a lot more material now and hence, most likely needs more study time than ever before.

And what's the general application timeline like for biomedical students who want to apply to and attend a DO school as soon as possible?
Say if you begin the biomedical program in the Fall of 2016.

I guess with both topics tied together, I was wondering if it would be feasible to begin the biomedical program in the Fall of 2016, retake the MCATs, and still apply in time to matriculate in DO school in the Fall of 2017?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they calculate your gpa by counting the highest grade for retakes and do they count coursework taken after you graduate with your bachelors for your gpa on the application?

When does PCOM's biomedical students usually study for the MCATs

...most usually have a competitive score before starting the program (I believe and don't quote me on this > or =25 old/500 new). Studying for the MCAT while you are in the program is a bad idea in my opinion (I'm not a student at PCOM so you can take this with a grain of salt). It would be best to study for the MCAT after the foundation year of the program so you will not be able to matriculate/start medical school in fall of 2017 if you start the SMP in fall of 2016 without a decent MCAT score ready on hand before entering. The whole point of an SMP ( if you are pressed for time) is to prove you can handle medical school/redeem a low undergraduate performance and reap the benefit of no gap year (short cut/back door)/start medical school the following year.
@prettyNURSEtoMD what do you think?

Well, just speaking merely on my personal experience and people in my class, a bunch are studying to take it now. And by now I mean May test dates, some in June. I'm taking mine in July. There were a couple who took it during the first term in August-October. You will just have to be extremely disciplined. The only thing that helps is that for classes like BCMB, it helps for Biochem etc which is on this new exam so it's like you're adding prep.

When does PCOM's biomedical students usually study for the MCATs, for those who still have to take or re-take the exam? Especially since the new MCAT has a lot more material now and hence, most likely needs more study time than ever before.

And what's the general application timeline like for biomedical students who want to apply to and attend a DO school as soon as possible?
Say if you begin the biomedical program in the Fall of 2016.

I guess with both topics tied together, I was wondering if it would be feasible to begin the biomedical program in the Fall of 2016, retake the MCATs, and still apply in time to matriculate in DO school in the Fall of 2017?

Yes it is doable. People applied during our first year. One girl started with me, FALL 2015, took her mcat in September, interviewed in Dec and is matriculating in the DO program this FALL 2016.

Yes it is doable. People applied during our first year. One girl started with me, FALL 2015, took her mcat in September, interviewed in Dec and is matriculating in the DO program this FALL 2016.

How competitive of a score is needed to secure an acceptance? I want to aim for a 504+ on the MCAT but I know I would benefit by aiming higher yet I have a little more than a month before I have to write the exam.

does anyone have average stats for philly campus? im scared to death that i wont get in, i have a 3.01 science gpa (with retakes), 3.13 cumulative, 2 DO letters, 1 MD letter, 1 LOR from my boss (RN) 3 science professor letters. taking mcat in july....
As long as you do okay on your MCAT I think you'll be fine, I have a similar gpa with a 27 mcat and I got accepted to the philly campus.

How competitive of a score is needed to secure an acceptance? I want to aim for a 504+ on the MCAT but I know I would benefit by aiming higher yet I have a little more than a month before I have to write the exam.

There is no way to "secure" an acceptance. I honestly don't know because they haven't been accepting a lot of biomeds this year. First or second year. 10 interviewed, 2 accepted, thats for first year biomeds.The rest are WL or on hold. Lots of 2nd years on WL too. Honestly, it's a decrease in biomed acceptances, as rumored to be the new thing for our new academic admissions officer, and other professors that don't favor the biomeds. It's a crap shoot.

There is no way to "secure" an acceptance. I honestly don't know because they haven't been accepting a lot of biomeds this year. First or second year. 10 interviewed, 2 accepted, thats for first year biomeds.The rest are WL or on hold. Lots of 2nd years on WL too. Honestly, it's a decrease in biomed acceptances, as rumored to be the new thing for our new academic admissions officer, and other professors that don't favor the biomeds. It's a crap shoot.

Wow. I have to agree with prettyNURSEtoMD here, because that is a big difference! Assuming you are talking about PCOM-GA, for our class two years ago, we had an acceptance of 15 1st years with around 25 getting interviewed. However, the stats seem to be getting more competitive as well with applicants # increasing each year. For a "safety" rule, admissions would like to see a minimum of 3.6 GPA in your biomed courses so mainly A- or As. Put yourself out there and go the extra mile. Ask for help if you are struggling. Definitely do not be discourage if you did not do well on your first exam. You can always improve! It is also very important to talk and get to know your professors that are teaching you. Ultimately, they are the ones on the committee making the votes whether you are in or not.

PCOM is one of my top choices but I will make sure to apply broadly to other DO programs as well.

Yes, I'm speaking of PCOM GA. I hear most of our class will hear back in June. I know people who have come off of WL, but do not attend PCOM right now.

Is there an orientation for students who were accepted into and decide to matriculate in pcom's biomed program?

Is there an orientation for students who were accepted into and decide to matriculate in pcom's biomed program?
Yes, if you're accepted all that information will be sent to you and you can see it on nucleus as well.

Is there a deadline to apply here?

Is there a deadline to apply here?

no but it's rolling admissions so asap is best though there is no set deadline

Yeah apply when you can, but my friend applied 2 weeks before classes and was accepted. I don't advise that obviously, but just submit when you can

Yes, if you're accepted all that information will be sent to you and you can see it on nucleus as well.
What will be provided on Nucleus?
Pretty much everything you'll need as a new student, I'm guessing...haha

Like financial aid, classes, syllabi, orientation info, parking info?

What will be provided on Nucleus?
Pretty much everything you'll need as a new student, I'm guessing...haha

Like financial aid, classes, syllabi, orientation info, parking info?

It pretty much has everything you need to know. Has all the important dates, financial aid information, our class schedule (not the syllabi, I assume that will be on blackboard once fall classes are on it), as well as links to parking information and other things you need to take care of before orientation.

It pretty much has everything you need to know. Has all the important dates, financial aid information, our class schedule (not the syllabi, I assume that will be on blackboard once fall classes are on it), as well as links to parking information and other things you need to take care of before orientation.
Thanks! That's super helpful.
Do you know if there's any way to get the syllabus early?

I would like to start studying early before the term starts, if it's possible.

Long time listener, first time caller here. I have been accepted into the Philly program, but was curious as to the number of students in that program? The powerpoint PCOM sent out for this biomedical sciences program states that 20 from the 1st year and 24 from the second year got into PCOM-PAs DO skool, but I am just curious as to the relativity of those numbers. Thanks!

Long time listener, first time caller here. I have been accepted into the Philly program, but was curious as to the number of students in that program? The powerpoint PCOM sent out for this biomedical sciences program states that 20 from the 1st year and 24 from the second year got into PCOM-PAs DO skool, but I am just curious as to the relativity of those numbers. Thanks!
When you say 'relativity,' you're talking about how many applied during the 1st or 2nd year, how many were accepted, and then how many matriculated (which, as you said, was provided), is that right? If so, that's a really good question, but I feel like the only people would be able to tell you that is someone on the admissions committee or the program director, Dr. Bell.

I feel like even if a current or past student were to tell you some numbers, it might not be exactly accurate (unless they were somehow on the admissions committee) because otherwise, that's probably just word on the street.

But if you do find out, please do share! I'm curious to know!

That would all be icing on the cake really.. All I want to know is how many students are in the program this past year if anyone has that number? 20 ppl entered the DO program after their first year/ X number of 1st year students would be the baseline for % of students who get into the DO school after their first year. The actual % is certainly higher based on the things you mentioned above, but Im cool with knowing that floor number. Could probably just email the school, but where's the fun in that?

That would all be icing on the cake really.. All I want to know is how many students are in the program this past year if anyone has that number? 20 ppl entered the DO program after their first year/ X number of 1st year students would be the baseline for % of students who get into the DO school after their first year. The actual % is certainly higher based on the things you mentioned above, but Im cool with knowing that floor number. Could probably just email the school, but where's the fun in that?

I was just told that the number of students will be "up to 80". SO, at least a quarter of students in the masters program matriculate into the DO school after their first year. Good to know

This is assuming the students matriculate into a DO school but not limited to the school at PCOM is that correct?

I was told that the Philly biomed program typically matriculates 20 first years into the DO program, not counting those that get into other DO schools.

I was told that the Philly biomed program typically matriculates 20 first years into the DO program, not counting those that get into other DO schools.

Upon rereading what I had previously reread, including this statement with regards to the slide number those statistics were on "Page 25 of the PowerPoint will offer information on the number of Biomedical Sciences students entering the Philadelphia DO program for the 2015 - 2016 school year," 20 students (out of around 80) from the masters first year entered PCOM-PA's DO program. Boom.

I applied yesterday, just found out about this program. Didn't get a confirmation email or anything. Should I go ahead and send in transcripts and all?

I applied yesterday, just found out about this program. Didn't get a confirmation email or anything. Should I go ahead and send in transcripts and all?

I received a confirmation email the very same day I submitted my application and this was at night, after business hours. As seen here:
vnfgp3.jpg

I would email admissions to ask them for a confirmation, if the application hasn't already given you a confirmation (which you can log right back in to check).

Regardless though, I would get those official transcripts going asap because it takes time for offices to send them, time for delivery, and then time for them to confirm their reception of the transcripts.

Thank you! I will call them tomorrow and ask. When I log in online it shows a submitted, hopefully this doesn't mean its too late to apply

For those accepted to the Philly campus for Fall 2016, when are our orientation dates?
I haven't received my nucleus info yet, but am trying to make sure I don't schedule anything on those dates. Thanks!

Last edited:
For those accepted to the Philly campus for Fall 2016, when are our orientation dates?
I haven't received my nucleus info yet, but am trying to make sure I don't schedule anything on those dates. Thanks!
Same here. If you are accepted and don't have it, email [email protected] and they should provide that for you in a few business days.

Taking practice exams and doing absolutely ****ty on verbal but doing decent/well in the other sections. How much of an impact would that low score make when I'm applying to DO schools this upcoming cycle? I'm averaging only like 6-7 on the verbal.

I have been reading some posts about PCOM biomed program saying that is is nearly impossible to get at least a 3.5 in the first yr (which is what I believe PCOM admis is looking for from thier biomeds) how did your GPA fair in the program?

Thanks in advance!

Is there anyone in this thread who matriculated into PCOM after their first year as a biomed? Would love to hear your perspective

I have been reading some posts about PCOM biomed program saying that is is nearly impossible to get at least a 3.5 in the first yr (which is what I believe PCOM admis is looking for from thier biomeds) how did your GPA fair in the program?

Thanks in advance!

Not true. It is definitely possible. Not easy, but possible. I had a 3.8 from the 1st year in the biomed program. You want to do really well because it is the same professors that will be teaching you in the DO program as well. Plus, many of the professors use the same slides in the DO program for the biomeds -minus the clinical stuff. In the biomed program, you attend class like 15 hours top per week. In the DO program, your hours in class can easily go to more than 30 hours in class per week. If you do really well in the biomed program, it will make the transition to the DO program much easier. Best of luck to you :)

Reactions: 3 users

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?