PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am thinking of an apt that's close enough to campus. (2br /2 ba apt)

PM me about the details.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The application AACOMAS has been open since May. The primaries are ready for submission today. I might not submit everything until early to mid July. I hope it's not too late.

The application AACOMAS has been open since May. The primaries are ready for submission today. I might not submit everything until early to mid July. I hope it's not too late.

Hey, sorry for not clarifying. I meant the biomedical sciences program. I can only apply for Fall 2016 right now on PCOM's website

Hey, sorry for not clarifying. I meant the biomedical sciences program. I can only apply for Fall 2016 right now on PCOM's website
They usually open the apps after the class starts so Biomedical starts in August so the new app should be opening in Sept

is it possible to study for the mcat while in the program? I know I wont have time during this summer to do a full review to take the exam, but are there any study schedule people completed during school so that they could still be involved, get good grades, and get the mcat score?

some people did it, but those kids had scheduled their time down to the second. physical class time is only up to 12 hours a week at the most. if you can block out time for MCAT and block out time for classwork you should be good. so it is possible, people have done it before and were able to do well on both.

that being said, the program itself is pretty tough. i personally didn't retake the mcat during the first year because i wanted to give my 100% to the courses. i didn't want to take away significant time from class studying and have my grades be lower and possibly lose the chance to get in because of that. in my head it was better to focus on one thing at a time. i hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
some people did it, but those kids had scheduled their time down to the second. physical class time is only up to 12 hours a week at the most. if you can block out time for MCAT and block out time for classwork you should be good. so it is possible, people have done it before and were able to do well on both.

that being said, the program itself is pretty tough. i personally didn't retake the mcat during the first year because i wanted to give my 100% to the courses. i didn't want to take away significant time from class studying and have my grades be lower and possibly lose the chance to get in because of that. in my head it was better to focus on one thing at a time. i hope this helps!

I'm planning on doing something similar to what you wrote. I don't want to waste anymore time and want to apply while I'm in the program and keep everything moving. I'm studying now, but I want to put most/all of my effort into this program at least for the first term.

How did that plan work for you? I know everyone is different and that is just my approach for now. Do you think you could have been able to study for the MCAT throughout the program? I just don't want to lose the momentum I have for MCAT studying.

Last edited:
Guys the wait is really killing me. I applied to GA-PCOM Masters in Biomedical sciences almost 1-2 months ago. I got an email saying my application is complete and about to go under review about 3 weeks ago. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear from them? I need some moral support :(

Guys the wait is really killing me. I applied to GA-PCOM Masters in Biomedical sciences almost 1-2 months ago. I got an email saying my application is complete and about to go under review about 3 weeks ago. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear from them? I need some moral support :(

In my experience the wait is very long for the GA campus. Being patient and hopeful are the only pieces of advice I have. It took more than 2 months for my decision and I applied extremely early. Moral support and fingers crossed for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what books we need for the first trimester? Philly program...

Does anyone know what books we need for the first trimester? Philly program...
Nucleus is saying that the books wont be posted until July, although it is July, but I took that is later in July. I am just going off my memory.

Hey, I'll post my experience with the GA campus, if that will help you:

I started my app on May 20th, I got all my recs/transcripts in by the first week of June(around the 3rd), and I got my acceptance 2 weeks after.

Best of luck.

Hey, does anyone know if there is financial aid for this program? are people taking out federal or private loans? any insight is appreciated. thank you

Hey, does anyone know if there is financial aid for this program? are people taking out federal or private loans? any insight is appreciated. thank you

Not any scholarships that I know of but it is fully covered within the federal loan programs if you qualify for the graduate PLUS loans.

You may get some random scholarships through the school but people mostly pay with their own money or loans

Hey everyone. 2nd year biomed here at the GA campus. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have even though it's pretty late into the summer....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey everyone. 2nd year biomed here at the GA campus. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have even though it's pretty late into the summer....

I took the MCAT and got my scores back and the verbal unfortunately didn't turn out well. Because of it, my overall score suffered greatly because of it. I am enrolled in the Biomedical Sciences at PCOM and starting this fall. I'm feeling pretty disappointed right now but I'm not ready to give up. Do you have any tips or advice for me that can compensate for the low score? Maybe do really well in the Biomed program? Thanks.

I took the MCAT and got my scores back and the verbal unfortunately didn't turn out well. Because of it, my overall score suffered greatly because of it. I am enrolled in the Biomedical Sciences at PCOM and starting this fall. I'm feeling pretty disappointed right now but I'm not ready to give up. Do you have any tips or advice for me that can compensate for the low score? Maybe do really well in the Biomed program? Thanks.

Which campus? GA? If so, our classes will help with the MCAT, all sections. I'm studying for it now and am taking practice exams. I've never officially have taken the MCAT so I can't comment specifically on the AAMC exam. How low is your score if you don't mind me asking? You definitely need to do well in the program especially if you are applying to the DO program but you need a good MCAT score at the end of the day. Some med schools require a minimum score in all sections. I would suggest you retake the MCAT. The first trimester will definitely help with your verbal score but if you have the time now, enroll in a prep course. It all depends on your score and how bad is bad. You really can't have a bad undergrad GPA, low MCAT, and not do well in this program. If that is your case since Idk your stats. By doing well here, I mean with honors i.e. 3.6 or more. I hope that answers your question.

Which campus? GA? If so, our classes will help with the MCAT, all sections. I'm studying for it now and am taking practice exams. I've never officially have taken the MCAT so I can't comment specifically on the AAMC exam. How low is your score if you don't mind me asking? You definitely need to do well in the program especially if you are applying to the DO program but you need a good MCAT score at the end of the day. Some med schools require a minimum score in all sections. I would suggest you retake the MCAT. The first trimester will definitely help with your verbal score but if you have the time now, enroll in a prep course. It all depends on your score and how bad is bad. You really can't have a bad undergrad GPA, low MCAT, and not do well in this program. If that is your case since Idk your stats. By doing well here, I mean with honors i.e. 3.6 or more. I hope that answers your question.

My score is a 498. My verbal was scored a 121 while the sciences were 126 and the behavioral sciences a 125. I find this test more difficult than the "old" MCAT because it's so different.

Georgia campus btw

Ok so Dr. Matayoshi, who you will meet once you step onto campus, told me that they look for a min of 495 for GA campus. I would say look through the DO thread to get an idea of the stats for accepted students. Are you interested in applying to our DO program? It is harder to get into Philly's DO program even tho you are a PCOM student btw. But our first trimester class will help you on the MCAT (really the entire year) should you ever decide to retake it. I feel much more knowledgeable than undergrad. I highly suggest that you take this program serious. I'm sure you heard that the first semester is full of group work but let's be honest here, doctors work in teams. Take it serious and you will appreciate the hard work and demanding professors in the end.

Ok so Dr. Matayoshi, who you will meet once you step onto campus, told me that they look for a min of 495 for GA campus. I would say look through the DO thread to get an idea of the stats for accepted students. Are you interested in applying to our DO program? It is harder to get into Philly's DO program even tho you are a PCOM student btw. But our first trimester class will help you on the MCAT (really the entire year) should you ever decide to retake it. I feel much more knowledgeable than undergrad. I highly suggest that you take this program serious. I'm sure you heard that the first semester is full of group work but let's be honest here, doctors work in teams. Take it serious and you will appreciate the hard work and demanding professors in the end.

PCOM is one of my top choices and I'm also considering NOVA as another good option since it is closer to home because I live in South Florida. Ian willing to put a 100% effort into this program because as unpredictable as the MCAT is, I can't risk doing poorly in the program and doing poorly on a retake because that to me is a death trap for any chance at matriculating into a med school. I'm honestly very worried about the verbal section in particular because it is that unpredictable. It may be an underlying issue perhaps basic reading comprehension. Sorry for the rant.

PCOM is one of my top choices and I'm also considering NOVA as another good option since it is closer to home because I live in South Florida. Ian willing to put a 100% effort into this program because as unpredictable as the MCAT is, I can't risk doing poorly in the program and doing poorly on a retake because that to me is a death trap for any chance at matriculating into a med school. I'm honestly very worried about the verbal section in particular because it is that unpredictable. It may be an underlying issue perhaps basic reading comprehension. Sorry for the rant.

Oh don't worry about it. I def understand. When do you plan on applying to med school?

I was applying this cycle but I'll have to wait for the next cycle if my retake score is decent.

Is your undergrad GPA close to the DOs school average? How's the rest of your app looking? PCOM will more than likely hold your app until they see grades in the biomed program. I highly recommend you form good relationships with our professors. Mainly Dr. Zhu, Dr. Jenney, Dr. Hardy (they are all on the adcom), and Dr. Matayoshi. You will meet all of them in the first trimester and will have them all throughout the year, mostly. Go to office hours. Go to class and Ask questions in class. Maybe you can get a lor from them which will speak volumes.

@burritobowl60

Although an SMP is not meant to fix a low MCAT score, an SMP hosted at a medical school can still work in your favor so long as you follow @jsamuels advice. Retake the MCAT after your foundation year in the SMP. Invest in a tutor or a prep course if you will (you can't be thinking of saving money here. Invest in yourself. The goal is to land an acceptance to medical school, survive the 4 yrs, pass boards/exams, and land a great residency...etc.) You and all of us got this man. I applied to PCOM's SMP but I was wait-listed and I had a change of heart so I didn't pursue the SMP any further. Instead, I am doing grade replacement this coming fall/spring semester. I feel like I am doing my own version of an SMP. Working a part-time menial clinical related job (sometimes depressing) and a full-time student for the fall and spring is going to be a challenge but none of us should ever give in or give up. We need to keep pressing on because getting an acceptance to medical school is not the hardest part. If I were in your shoes, I would stay on top of my studies, get involved in a couple of clubs on campus, I would ask questions and pick the professor's brains during lectures, I would search for past biomed students (become their mentee) and peruse their old notes, I would go to office hours/know my profs at a personal level/go to tutoring, I would use all the resources that is available to me in order to succeed in PCOM's SMP. GL

Reactions: 1 users
@burritobowl60

Although an SMP is not meant to fix a low MCAT score, an SMP hosted at a medical school can still work in your favor so long as you follow @jsamuels advice. Retake the MCAT after your foundation year in the SMP. Invest in a tutor or a prep course if you will (you can't be thinking of saving money here. Invest in yourself. The goal is to land an acceptance to medical school, survive the 4 yrs, pass boards/exams, and land a great residency...etc.) You and all of us got this man. I applied to PCOM's SMP but I was wait-listed and I had a change of heart so I didn't pursue the SMP any further. Instead, I am doing grade replacement this coming fall/spring semester. I feel like I am doing my own version of an SMP. Working a part-time menial clinical related job (sometimes depressing) and a full-time student for the fall and spring is going to be a challenge but none of us should ever give in or give up. We need to keep pressing on because getting an acceptance to medical school is not the hardest part. If I were in your shoes, I would stay on top of my studies, get involved in a couple of clubs on campus, I would ask questions and pick the professor's brains during lectures, I would search for past biomed students (become their mentee) and peruse their old notes, I would go to office hours/know my profs at a personal level/go to tutoring, I would use all the resources that is available to me in order to succeed in PCOM's SMP. GL

My biggest hurdle is overcoming the MCAT verbal reasoning section test I'll need to completely revamp my strategy but more importantly seeking a strategy that I can work with and refine by doing lots of practice passages. I'm also worried about the program and how much time and dedication it mAy require to perform well. I say this because my MCAT preparation may interfere with my performance in the Masters Program. I am looking forward to this new experience and establishing professional relationships with the professors and other faculty involved at the school. I know I want this bad but I realize there are many struggles for me in the future and it makes these goals that much more memorable.

Has anyone who is accepted into PA's biomed program applied to the DO program yet?

My biggest hurdle is overcoming the MCAT verbal reasoning section test I'll need to completely revamp my strategy but more importantly seeking a strategy that I can work with and refine by doing lots of practice passages. I'm also worried about the program and how much time and dedication it mAy require to perform well. I say this because my MCAT preparation may interfere with my performance in the Masters Program. I am looking forward to this new experience and establishing professional relationships with the professors and other faculty involved at the school. I know I want this bad but I realize there are many struggles for me in the future and it makes these goals that much more memorable.

In regards to how much time it requires to do well, this program is demanding. It's not easy. Not sure if you already are but you'll have to get used to being tested on a lot of info at once (then you'll see that's nothing compared to the DO students), team taught classes, clinical based exams vs concept, and the most important part (in my opinion) remember everything from the beginning of the term to the end bc you'll need it. If you don't understand what's going on in the beginning, you will be in deep trouble! If you can master those techniques, aren't afraid to ask questions and utilize our tutors if needed, you will do well! I am in the honor's society and I studied about 40-60 hours a week but that really depended on a lot of different factors. Once year one is over, I think every biomed can agree that term one was the easiest but it won't feel like it during term one. Some people work, some don't. But keep in mind that you have to be truthful with yourself and understand your weakness. Really understand why your GPA wasn't stellar to begin with. You can't bomb this program. And being involved with programs won't help if you do. I wanted to begin studying for the MCAT during the program but I couldn't lose the momentum I had and didn't want to sacrifice my grades. Ultimately it's your call but that's just my opinion. I don't mean to scare you either but I just want to be honest.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm planning on doing something similar to what you wrote. I don't want to waste anymore time and want to apply while I'm in the program and keep everything moving. I'm studying now, but I want to put most/all of my effort into this program at least for the first term.

How did that plan work for you? I know everyone is different and that is just my approach for now. Do you think you could have been able to study for the MCAT throughout the program? I just don't want to lose the momentum I have for MCAT studying.

sorry for the late response, i dont check SDN pretty often lol
for me it went well. i spent a significant time studying for my courses, especially spring term since that's the most challenging one- it ended up paying off a lot.
Now that I am looking at the year in hindsight, i definitely could have been able to study for the MCAT throughout the first term of the program but not the second and third term. The second term you have anatomy lab practicals so you need to spend a lot of physical time in the anatomy lab. But I was pretty inefficient in studying during my first term so now that I finished the program and now how I study, I could see that I would have been able to study for the MCAT during the first term.

If you buckle down and work out a schedule, you'll be able to do both MCAT and class. Just try to keep yourself in check during the program to see if you're slacking in class.

My mentality was that this is my redemption program. If I don't get in the first year, I'll study for the MCAT the following summer. I didn't want to ruin my chances in grades with studying for the MCAT when I could do it later in the summer.

That being said, a lot of the kids in the program studied for the MCAT in the summer before their second year and for the most part they do/did very well.
It depends on your work ethic of course. But if theres any time you could juggle in studying for MCAT it is the first term. I hope that helps, sorry for the long response

for me it went well. i spent a significant time studying for my courses, especially spring term since that's the most challenging one- it ended up paying off a lot.
Now that I am looking at the year in hindsight, i definitely could have been able to study for the MCAT throughout the first term of the program but not the second and third term. The second term you have anatomy lab practicals so you need to spend a lot of physical time in the anatomy lab. But I was pretty inefficient in studying during my first term so now that I finished the program and now how I study, I could see that I would have been able to study for the MCAT during the first term.

If you buckle down and work out a schedule, you'll be able to do both MCAT and class. Just try to keep yourself in check during the program to see if you're slacking in class.

My mentality was that this is my redemption program. If I don't get in the first year, I'll study for the MCAT the following summer. I didn't want to ruin my chances in grades with studying for the MCAT when I could do it later in the summer.

That being said, a lot of the kids in the program studied for the MCAT in the summer before their second year and for the most part they do/did very well.
It depends on your work ethic of course. But if theres any time you could juggle in studying for MCAT it is the first term. I hope that helps, sorry for the long response

Not sure if you just graduated? But the anatomy class has changed @Granny Watkins. It is now a two term class so you'll have two labs to work on.

Not sure if you just graduated? But the anatomy class has changed @Granny Watkins. It is now a two term class so you'll have two labs to work on.

whoops sorry I was talking about the Philadelphia campus unless they changed it to two terms here too. but this past year, anatomy for the philly campus was during the winter term

whoops sorry I was talking about the Philadelphia campus unless they changed it to two terms here too. but this past year, anatomy for the philly campus was during the winter term

Ahhhh got it. Sorry! That was for GA campus!

I will have to retake the MCAT because of my abysmal verbal score. For those of you who did well how do you attack that section? I never do well and it's so frustrating.

wait, just for clarification is the GA campus anatomy split into two terms? does anyone know where i can see an outline for what courses we take in the first year at GA?

i know i saw it somewhere before but i can't find the link...

wait, just for clarification is the GA campus anatomy split into two terms? does anyone know where i can see an outline for what courses we take in the first year at GA?

i know i saw it somewhere before but i can't find the link...

Yes it is. First part is in winter, second in spring. It should be on nucleus or blackboard. Also on biomed page on PCOM.edu when you look up curriculum for the program.

Really looking forward to this year and all the knowledge we shall gain from this prestigious program. I just hope I do satisfactory on this MCAT. I'm more worried about that test than I am with the program LOL.

Really looking forward to this year and all the knowledge we shall gain from this prestigious program. I just hope I do satisfactory on this MCAT. I'm more worried about that test than I am with the program LOL.

You're not alone.

Don't worry about it. I don't use sdn as often either as I think sometimes it hurts more than it can help.
Thanks for sharing your experience as I would have gone into the program thinking it would be best to study during the remaining terms rather than the first. I will definitely try to make a schedule where I can fit every little bit in while allotting the most time for classwork. You're right. Both the program and the MCAT are important, but for right now the program is the most important as there is no forgiveness for a bad performance anymore. Your advice helped a lot.

So i am studying for the September 10th MCAT now do you think it would be wise to just wait to take the MCAT in January and continue with class and studying or to simply take it in September. I have been accepted into the Georgia Campus and I did a princeton review course. i applied to both campuses but have not heard anything for philly. This would be my first MCAT and I really don't want to forget chem and physics concepts as it seems as those items aren't covered through the program. It also helps to note that i will be working an office job Monday - Friday which limits time :(

So i am studying for the September 10th MCAT now do you think it would be wise to just wait to take the MCAT in January and continue with class and studying or to simply take it in September. I have been accepted into the Georgia Campus and I did a princeton review course. i applied to both campuses but have not heard anything for philly. This would be my first MCAT and I really don't want to forget chem and physics concepts as it seems as those items aren't covered through the program. It also helps to note that i will be working an office job Monday - Friday which limits time :(

So in my opinion, I would not take the January one. That'll be during second term when you're taking biostatistics, homeostasis and organ systems I, and micro anatomy and embryology. Embryology is notoriously one of the tougher classes and the professor always makes exam 2 right before or after the January MCAT. The folks who take the January MCAT do very poorly on exam 2 and she tells us that. You will have her first term as well so feel free to get her opinion as she is on the adcom. It's easier to take it in September and get it out of the way. You will also have a little more time then, in comparison to the rest of the terms. It's ultimately your decision.