PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Philly students!!!
Where did you guys get your id picture taken at?

Members don't see this ad.

Posting for a friend, for those who aren't in the FB group yet, or don't have Facebook. This is for the GA campus.

ImageUploadedBySDN1468952129.052451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
So in my opinion, I would not take the January one. That'll be during second term when you're taking biostatistics, homeostasis and organ systems I, and micro anatomy and embryology. Embryology is notoriously one of the tougher classes and the professor always makes exam 2 right before or after the January MCAT. The folks who take the January MCAT do very poorly on exam 2 and she tells us that. You will have her first term as well so feel free to get her opinion as she is on the adcom. It's easier to take it in September and get it out of the way. You will also have a little more time then, in comparison to the rest of the terms. It's ultimately your decision.

Great I think the one in September is better as well. Also what time do the classes on the GA campus typically begin. I have not heard anything in regards to orientation.

Great I think the one in September is better as well. Also what time do the classes on the GA campus typically begin. I have not heard anything in regards to orientation.

Just remember, don't sacrifice your grades studying no matter when you take it. All classes are equally important

Just remember, don't sacrifice your grades studying no matter when you take it. All classes are equally important

That is so true i spoke to someone at the Georgia Campus and she recommended I take it in January but I think i am going to do it in September and if I need to retake which i'm not planning to have to then i will do so in January.

September is good. Your only real "hard" class is BCMB. Which will help with MCAT, as well as Sci COMM because you read a LOT of research papers. Both of those classes will teach you to decipher methods, the experiments ran like western blot, ELISA, qPCR etc, how to interpret graphs, you should be straight.

Reactions: 1 user
That is so true i spoke to someone at the Georgia Campus and she recommended I take it in January but I think i am going to do it in September and if I need to retake which i'm not planning to have to then i will do so in January.

Did you already submit your primary? PCOM will hold your app until second term grades, in some circumstances, and certainly will if your numbers aren't great in first term. People who get in during September have good numbers like > 3.6 and good MCAT. They'll hold for that January MCAT too. Just something to think about and stressing that numbers matter. In short, think of your timeline, how difficult your terms will be (second is definitely a different beast than first), and how ready you are for the MCAT. Also remember you won't get into your groove as soon as you get here. You'll have to learn our professors and how they test especially since classes are team taught. We have more than exams to take, like group work, so you'll have to master time management like never before. There are not enough hours in the day. Even now, at least for me and I'm doing the thesis track (I've already started my thesis work). Do what's best for you!

She's absolutely right. A lot of people will be on "hold" for term grades, and even after 2nd term grades. The group work is a pain, and it's a lot of busy work.

Also remember that taking the MCAT in January (unless you are applying next cycle) puts you at a great disadvantage bc it's so late into the cycle. A good number of med schools don't accept January dates. Most schools have filled their classes by then as well. Just something to keep in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the PCOM-PA campus, how many tests are their for the Molecular Basis of Medicine? (ie. is the entire grade based off of just one big exam)
Also, what impacts the final grade besides the tests? Do they have homework or attendance points or are grades based strictly off of tests?

For the PCOM-PA campus, how many tests are their for the Molecular Basis of Medicine? (ie. is the entire grade based off of just one big exam)
Also, what impacts the final grade besides the tests? Do they have homework or attendance points or are grades based strictly off of tests?
Dunno, we should have access to the class on blackboard in a couple weeks though. It sounds like a lecture class so I'd imagine it's mostly through exams.

has anyone heard anything about required textbooks, supplies, etc.? ga campus specifically. thanks!

Any biomed student from the PA campus in particular who were able to maintain at least a 3.5 gpa in the program?
I have seen some from the GA campus, but curious on how many are able to maintain this GPA in the philly campus.

Thanks!

Hey! So this is happening for you guys this week! We just got an invite to add whatever we like!

Good luck! Welcome to first year!
ImageUploadedBySDN1469380439.400389.jpg

hey guys! any questions...let me know! I just finished my first year in the biomed program and it was difficult but great!

Enrolled in the class BCMB as of now. Our first exam is coming up and I'm pretty worried about how difficult it is going to be. Are there any tips you could provide for us baby biomeds?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Dr Baker loves her powerpoints. Read them over and over again. Pay attention to the pictures. Anything that's in blue for Dr Jenney.

How important is the reading? Will she ask very detailed oriented questions on her exams or will they be generally conceptually based?

How important is the reading? Will she ask very detailed oriented questions on her exams or will they be generally conceptually based?

Both. She'll have some just concept but then she'll make you think. Especially with the short answer questions for the research article.

I can't remember the exam content. Is it all Baker? They want you to be able to understand the concepts and be able to apply it. Jenney is huge on that! You'll notice the differences in their questions

To answer the first part of your question. That was the only class I didn't need the book for. Their PowerPoints and lectures are solid. If you just can't grasp it. Listen to tegrity again or go to them or go to a tutor who can decipher their language lol

I am reading the PowerPoint and for the most part I'm pretty familiar with it. Are the practice exams helpful?

Things I've seen in Biochem molec and cell etc

I remember the metabolism exam, the final, group work, and papers lol. First exam is the easiest. Read PowerPoints, listen in class, listen to tegrity if you have to, do the objectives, search for practice exams online, and be able to answer any question about the objectives for every packet

Hmmm I would say so but only to a certain extent. Do them definitely but it's like baby work in comparison to the real exam.

Things I've seen in Biochem molec and cell etc

I can tell you it's what you've seen on steroids. I thought I knew things too until I got to BCMB. Be prepared for Jenney. Like what she said early, things in blue, but Jenney is an apply person not facts. He wants more than that. He wants analysis. He has the lecture about the lac operon and trp operon. And he'll ask questions and you'll be like wait lol. I'm more of Jenney person than Baker though. Doing well isn't hard especially when you have free A's coming from that group work. Good luck.

I thought the 3 and last exams were the easiest but I've never had biochem a day in my life so I had to figure out what worked for me. Tegrity and ppt is the way to go. I agree I'm more of a Jenney person than baker too

Exactly so I think what you come in knowing doesn't really really apply. It just kind of helps. Our professors teach the DOs. Theyre not testing us like our undergrad professors did. You'll learn their styles tho. Ppts and teg is BCMB recipe. All other classes? Hmmmm. But if there's something you really don't get, I highly suggest you ask them or go to a tutor bc there really isn't a concept that isn't on their exams in some way

I am reading the power points and focusing mainly on the content there but ill supplement a little by reading the textbooks.

hey guys this program is 2 year program right? That's what I read on the PCOM page.

And, for 2017 cohort, if I turn in my application at the end of February or early march, would that be late? Can I/should I use AACOMAS for grade replacement or just apply without grade replacement (lower) to avoid being reapplicant status?

Thank you guys!

Yes, this is a two year program but it is possible to leave the program without finishing it in order to attend medical (or other) school

Also, Feb/March is fine. The program did not use AACOMAS last year it just had its own little application thing online on the PCOM website

however this may have changed this year for you; I have no idea

When does the application open for 2017

I submitted to GA on Monday and received an email acknowledgment of my application last night. It also included a log in to check document status, so they are already accepting applications. Not sure when they will actually start reviewing though.

Just took the first exam. Wasn't too bad

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted to GA on Monday and received an email acknowledgment of my application last night. It also included a log in to check document status, so they are already accepting applications. Not sure when they will actually start reviewing though.

Do you know the minimum MCAT requirement for this program? My MCAT is really low but I would like to apply asap as I am on lower GPA side :(

Do you know the minimum MCAT requirement for this program? My MCAT is really low but I would like to apply asap as I am on lower GPA side :(

I don't think they have a minimum, but maybe one of the current biomeds can provide a range of scores that have been accepted in the past.
From my understanding its more of a holistic application review. I'm applying with a 497 MCAT.

I don't think they have a minimum, but maybe one of the current biomeds can provide a range of scores that have been accepted in the past.
From my understanding its more of a holistic application review. I'm applying with a 497 MCAT.

I'm applying with 488 but I'm wondering about the GPA. If it's not using grade replacement, I am going to be at the low end. So probably around 2.8 ish.

And yeah I'm gonna apply today or soon!

I'm applying with 488 but I'm wondering about the GPA. If it's not using grade replacement, I am going to be at the low end. So probably around 2.8 ish.

And yeah I'm gonna apply today or soon!

I'm actually applying with similar stats so we will see. Good luck!