PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HELP...
I recently graduated Temple Univ and got into DPT (doctorate of Physical therapy)
However, I turned it down so that I can pursue medicine.

I enrolled back to Temple as a "continuing education" student so that I can fulfill my prereqs in a DIY format.
I'm looking into an Enhancer Post Bac because I don't think my academic record is not strong enough to apply straight to Med School (see below). Therefore, PCOM's Biomed is one of the program I am looking into.
[My Grades: cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.4, have not taken MCAT]

I have read that PCOM (after 1 year of foundational courses) offers a guarantee interview to students who met the benchmark of GPA and MCAT. Is this true? if so, what are the chances for that student to be admitted to PCOM? Does he have a slight advantage or will PCOM just take the money and throw him out back to where he started?

Is this the right way to go, should I invest money and time to this route, or should I try getting a high score on the MCAT and directly apply to medical school?
Also, can students get into PCOM postbac (biomedical) with NO MCAT score?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

HELP...
I recently graduated Temple Univ and got into DPT (doctorate of Physical therapy)
However, I turned it down so that I can pursue medicine.

I enrolled back to Temple as a "continuing education" student so that I can fulfill my prereqs in a DIY format.
I'm looking into an Enhancer Post Bac because I don't think my academic record is not strong enough to apply straight to Med School (see below). Therefore, PCOM's Biomed is one of the program I am looking into.
[My Grades: cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.4, have not taken MCAT]

I have read that PCOM (after 1 year of foundational courses) offers a guarantee interview to students who met the benchmark of GPA and MCAT. Is this true? if so, what are the chances for that student to be admitted to PCOM? Does he have a slight advantage or will PCOM just take the money and throw him out back to where he started?

Is this the right way to go, should I invest money and time to this route, or should I try getting a high score on the MCAT and directly apply to medical school?
Also, can students get into PCOM postbac (biomedical) with NO MCAT score?

Thank you!

I sent you a PM

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I'm hearing if you do fairly well in your first year of the biomedical sciences program, there is a good chance of matriculating into the school. A 3.0 guarantees you an interview at the school and that's it. Your best bet is to perform the best you can and have an average MCAT score to consider yourself competitive for the DO program. What I mean by performing well in the program is that you maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher to give you a good shot. Correct me if I'm wrong anybody because this is all heresay.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

3.0 gets you an interview. 3.5 does not increase your chances. That's for the 17 people who were not accepted in my class, who are now 2nd years. They had great scores on both spectrums

Reactions: 1 users
20 interviewed. 3 accepted. 2 automatic 1 on WL. And those were people who applied before PCOM grades were out. The others applied after first term and second term grades.

From what I'm hearing if you do fairly well in your first year of the biomedical sciences program, there is a good chance of matriculating into the school. A 3.0 guarantees you an interview at the school and that's it. Your best bet is to perform the best you can and have an average MCAT score to consider yourself competitive for the DO program. What I mean by performing well in the program is that you maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher to give you a good shot. Correct me if I'm wrong anybody because this is all heresay.

So from what I can say is every class is different and obviously people aren't truthful with their scores. What is a fact is that our class had the lowest grades PCOM had seen in a while. And we simply won't know for sure why those other 17 students did not get an offer. It could have been how they interviewed, their ECs, anything. I will say having a solid GPA def matters. They'll accept at 3.7 before a 3.0. There are simply reasons we won't know. Every class is different. Plenty of The 2016 class are in the DO program and the 2015 class as well as the Pharm program. A lot of us are applying this year as well. So we will know more then.

PS., this is GA campus specific.

Yeah for sure, but I also know a lot of these students want in after the first year. And the odds aren't as high like they are for 2nd year.

And rumor has it that they aren't accepting as many biomeds because the previous BMs haven't been performing well in the DO programs. Now THAT is hearsay. But just everybody try your best.

I say this with a caveat that we are not the admissions committee and anything students say will always be an "assumption". None of us have the "formula". Also, I'm not in the DO program and haven't even finished my app so I can't really speak with confidence. Hope that helps a bit.

Yeah for sure, but I also know a lot of these students want in after the first year. And the odds aren't as high like they are for 2nd year.

And rumor has it that they aren't accepting as many biomeds because the previous BMs haven't been performing well in the DO programs. Now THAT is hearsay. But just everybody try your best.

Exactly! So do you best!!

They (adcom) know what classes are the toughest and where we might "flop" so they really want to see a full year nowadays. And not an "average" MCAT. You never want to shoot for average.

The second exam was brutal. Didn't do do well either. Do you guys have any advice for me?

The second was always the hardest for our class too. Keep pushing! Just be prepared for the enzymes, inhibitor and pKa test. It's a lot of info. The fourth test was the easiest it's about evolution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matayoshi questions were quite difficult felt like I missed all of them.

They usually curve and throw out his questions. Y'all still have the projects right?

Yeah we still do have those projects. The way he words them are just vague in general.

How was the biomedical modeling exam? The first one? It's the class that Matayoshi teaches.

We all failed. 40-60 range. I think I got a 65??? If by chance you do well on one of the exams you'll get an A in the class. If not, you'll get a B+ B, B- overall. It's really a mind wizardy type class.
He likes to see you stressed and how you handle it.

That's pretty good considering the range was that bad.

I hope I can nail this next exam.

If you don't, I'm telling you. You're fine. Do those videos, take his criticism. Redo the videos. Class passed.

So I was looking at the website and was hoping if people can clarify a few things...

So you have the option to finish the program in 1 year and receive a certificate or finish the program in 2 years and receive a masters degree?
Can you apply to PCOM medical school before the 1st year of the program and be given an interview if your grades are good? Or do you need to finish a year of the program to get an interview?

So I was looking at the website and was hoping if people can clarify a few things...

So you have the option to finish the program in 1 year and receive a certificate or finish the program in 2 years and receive a masters degree?
Can you apply to PCOM medical school before the 1st year of the program and be given an interview if your grades are good? Or do you need to finish a year of the program to get an interview?

Yes, you can. Some people applied right before the program began and they did not have to wait on grades. Others applied during the first or second semester of the program and were placed on "hold" until final grades came. Essentially, you do not need to finish the program to get an interview but if you apply while in the program they will want your grades. So for example if you apply during first term has finished they will interview you and then can trim around and say lets see how you do next term. It's up to them.

Does this make sense?

called GA campus if my application is complete, they told me to email. I emailed and got no response. :( so sad...

Took Matayoshis exam and I didn't think it was too bad at all. I heard everybody makes Bs in this class and barely anyone made As?

would one stand a chance at this program with a 487 mcat?

Accepted 1/9/17 GA Campus.

Last edited:
Accepted 1/9/17 GA program.

I'm torn between KGI PPC program with this. What's the sucess rate at this program?

would one stand a chance at this program with a 487 mcat?
Yes my mcat was low but to make for it I immediately took the GRE. I applied late and still had time to take my GRE and submit everything.

I got into this program with mcat score similar to that!

Yes my mcat was low but to make for it I immediately took the GRE. I applied late and still had time to take my GRE and submit everything.
what was your mcat, if you dont mind me asking? youre saying i wont have to take the GRE or re-take the MCAT like you did?

Hey all I got accepted into the PCOM-GEORGIA MS Biomedical Science program. I was wondering for people already in the program what is yall's b opinion about the program? I'm trying to choose between this program or the William Carey MS in Biomedical Science 1 year program. I got into both. If your opinion is something you want to keep private please do feel free to PM me! I'm up for any and all opinions. One of my only concerns about this program is the cost (885 $ per credit hour ends up being 2x the cost of William Carey's program) and the large class size ~80. William Carey's is ~ 30. But I know the this program is well known and probably more well respected and it seems the curriculum is more in-depth than the WC one. I hope to hear some good ideas/opinions and congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I may be y'all's classmate LoL

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

Hey all I got accepted into the PCOM-GEORGIA MS Biomedical Science program. I was wondering for people already in the program what is yall's b opinion about the program? I'm trying to choose between this program or the William Carey MS in Biomedical Science 1 year program. I got into both. If your opinion is something you want to keep private please do feel free to PM me! I'm up for any and all opinions. One of my only concerns about this program is the cost (885 $ per credit hour ends up being 2x the cost of William Carey's program) and the large class size ~80. William Carey's is ~ 30. But I know the this program is well known and probably more well respected and it seems the curriculum is more in-depth than the WC one. I hope to hear some good ideas/opinions and congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I may be y'all's classmate LoL

when did you apply

Skeptical about applying here bc not direct link to their DO program. Any stats that show otherwise?

Skeptical about applying here bc not direct link to their DO program. Any stats that show otherwise?
From ppl I know that have done the program and got in to PCOM or another program they say it's very subjective as far as who gets in. But I would imagine as long as u have a 3.2 in their program and like a 497 or up you would be in good shape granted you build good relationships with professors. But from what u hear about half the class ends up finishing the program. Some get into medical school and some drop out beacuse of the programs rigor.

This is just a few of my friends experience from the 2016 and 2015 graduating classes of course.

From ppl I know that have done the program and got in to PCOM or another program they say it's very subjective as far as who gets in. But I would imagine as long as u have a 3.2 in their program and like a 497 or up you would be in good shape granted you build good relationships with professors. But from what u hear about half the class ends up finishing the program. Some get into medical school and some drop out beacuse of the programs rigor.

This is just a few of my friends experience from the 2016 and 2015 graduating classes of course.

this year i only know of one first year student who got accepted. everyone else seems like they're going to (re)apply next year and finish the program in the meantime (unless they drop out).

overall yeah i would say the program has great opportunities and it is subjective. you get out what you put into the program. people in our program fail/drop out. people got into med school. others graduate and go a different route. it's what you make it. the faculty and school are nice though and people are super helpful. first term expect busywork but second term edges a lot closer to med school level/content/style

good luck all

this year i only know of one first year student who got accepted. everyone else seems like they're going to (re)apply next year and finish the program in the meantime (unless they drop out).

overall yeah i would say the program has great opportunities and it is subjective. you get out what you put into the program. people in our program fail/drop out. people got into med school. others graduate and go a different route. it's what you make it. the faculty and school are nice though and people are super helpful. first term expect busywork but second term edges a lot closer to med school level/content/style

good luck all

You mean only 1 student has been admitted in for Fall 2018 as of March 6th, 2017 correct?

I know a first year med student at GA-PCOM who completed the MS degree and matriculated right after completing it, who told me that that from her first year in the Biomed program that a total of 5 students matriculated into the DO program right after their first year.

What are your thoughts?

You mean only 1 student has been admitted in for Fall 2018 as of March 6th, 2017 correct?

I know a first year med student at GA-PCOM who completed the MS degree and matriculated right after completing it, who told me that that from her first year in the Biomed program that a total of 5 students matriculated into the DO program right after their first year.

What are your thoughts?

Yeah that's correct we had one person who was in the first year class right now get in (but maybe another one or two by now, I'm not 100%) and idk how many second years, maybe like 10?

and yeah that sounds about right. Last year it was like 5 first years and 10 second years I think.

the deal is you get all A's and B's with no withdrawals and they will interview you. Harder than it sounds

also it doesn't sound like a lot of people with the numbers above but there's a lot of variability in the students. some students are ready for med school but just needed one more chance. others frankly aren't cut out for it. and then there are the pre-PA/pharm/dent/research people which is cool too

Yeah that's correct we had one person who was in the first year class right now get in (but maybe another one or two by now, I'm not 100%) and idk how many second years, maybe like 10?

and yeah that sounds about right. Last year it was like 5 first years and 10 second years I think.

the deal is you get all A's and B's with no withdrawals and they will interview you. Harder than it sounds

also it doesn't sound like a lot of people with the numbers above but there's a lot of variability in the students. some students are ready for med school but just needed one more chance. others frankly aren't cut out for it. and then there are the pre-PA/pharm/dent/research people which is cool too

Okay, I see. Your account lines up relatively with my friends account. I guess there is a lag in the disbersment of information reagrding admissions and so forth.

Are you in the Biomedical Program? If so, what was your orientation like? Was it first week? How many days was it?

Thanks for your response btw.

good luck all
Is this for philly or Georgia campus?

Okay, I see. Your account lines up relatively with my friends account. I guess there is a lag in the disbersment of information reagrding admissions and so forth.

Are you in the Biomedical Program? If so, what was your orientation like? Was it first week? How many days was it?

Thanks for your response btw.

this is all for GA btw

orientation was the first week. DO's and Pharms do some training stuff so they're all week.

we did like 2 or 3 days? i think. one day is technical stuff, paperwork, and ID badge. another day is kind of expectations and seminars and Welcome to the school kind of thing. that day is also an all day thing and you get to meet and mingle with everyone from other programs as well which was fun. i think there was one more day that was basically classes/syllabus stuff