About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

PCOM-GA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by ShyRem, Apr 24, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. drtransformers

drtransformers

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am not sure when they meet but in my interview last week, they said I would know something in three weeks. That means there are two more weeks before we hear something. They also said we will only hear via mail, for legal reasons. I've still been running to the mailbox everyday though.
  2. KPride

KPride Professional Gas Passer

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Has anybody heard anything? My nerves are shot!:scared:
  3. hrider

hrider

Pre-Medical
    I spoke with Trena a couple of days ago and she mentioned that the decisions that were suppose to take place in the last couple of weeks had been delayed. Those people who received a delay/hold should be sent a decision towards the end of next week. Add in the fact that it may take longer for a mailed decision to arrive, I am guessing it'll be 2 weeks till we hear back. I think the reason for the delay might be that they have fewer seats left in the class and want to take into consideration all the late interviewers and the people that were put on hold way back at the same time as well as people who have been accepted but may not attend (to let seats open up).

Sigh, who knows what goes through admission committees' minds anyway?
  4. vandyam

vandyam Vulnera Sanentur

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't pretend to have any insider information, but I will say that deposits (the big one) are due on April 15th. Some people will simply not pay them, without giving any written notice to the school beforehand that they are declining their seat. I'm sure the admissions committee anticipates this to some degree, so it might benefit you all that the decisions are being delayed. My logic would follow that more spots will open up after April 15th (when they have a clearer idea of how many people are currently planning on attending in the fall), and therefore seats can be allotted accordingly.

The waiting is terrible though. You guys definitely have my sympathies! Just keep your head up and plug along until this terrible process is over. Good luck everyone...I hope those that know this is really the school for them get that letter soon.

5. tenndoc

tenndoc bringer of sarcasm

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    you do mean the ppl who have gotten no decisions yet right? jw
  6. drtransformers

drtransformers

Pre-Medical
    This is worse than the MCAT wait. I've been praying so much, I thing God is tired of hearing from me, lol. For the others that are waiting, do you have other acceptances or on waitlists? Does it make it any easier to wait, you think? My lease is up next month and I have to give notice by the end of the month. Wondering what to do.
  7. Duotone

Duotone

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Something should be in the mail by Monday. Keep praying. He is listening.
  8. drtransformers

drtransformers

Pre-Medical
    Thank you and thank you!!!
  9. vandyam

vandyam Vulnera Sanentur

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Sorry, I only just saw this. They are done conducting interviews, so I meant for everyone (both those who are on the hold list and those who haven't heard back yet at all).

At an event this weekend, we were told the hold list will start moving starting Monday and will continue all the way until the 1st or 2nd day of classes (historically, this has been the case). I assume the timing of this has something to do with deposits having recently been due. But again, I have no insider information and do not want to spread falsities online (something we were warned about).

Everyone keep your head up! I'll keep good thoughts out for you all.
  10. drtransformers

drtransformers

Pre-Medical
    So are they mailing to notify you you are on the waitlist? Will they use mail to let you know when you have been pulled from the waitlist?
  11. sa2010

sa2010

Pre-Medical
    Just got the acceptance letter in the mail today! Good luck to everyone else
  12. user3

user3 MS-0

Medical Student (Accepted)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congrats! When did you interview and what are your numbers if you don't mind?
  13. vandyam

vandyam Vulnera Sanentur

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congrats! :) It's a good feeling. Join the FB group.

Hopefully this is the first of many SDN'ers who will get acceptances.
  14. user3

user3 MS-0

Medical Student (Accepted)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    well I guess I was wrong... rejected :( . The only advice admissions could give me was to apply earlier next time. Oh well.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  15. tenndoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I haven't been paying attention lately. Has pcoms interview cycle ended? I'm assuming us no decision kids were brought up at the last meeting if that's the case. When was it?
  16. RealistPhD

RealistPhD

Non-Student
    Sorry to hear that. I think we're all beating ourselves up over applying late in the cycle...Why must we torture ourselves so when it's already stressful enough? Never again! Keep your spirits up! :D
  17. Duotone

Duotone

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Has PCOM Georgia given out any scholarships/financial aid during this application cycle?
  18. drtransformers

drtransformers

Pre-Medical
    Anybody not heard ANYTHING (delay, waitlist, acceptance, rejection)?

I'm wondering if I fell through the cracks after my interview.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  19. swimchick

swimchick

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    As far as I know, the school does not offer any kind of aid until you've been accepted and fill out the financial aid application. The application consists of FAFSA, PCOM's own application form and a signed copy of your parents' tax return or your own signed tax return (if you're trying to apply for PCOM institutional aid as an independent).
  20. KPride

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got my acceptance today!!!! :love::love::love::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
  21. Duotone

Duotone

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What about scholarships?
  22. swimchick

swimchick

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    To my knowledge, no institutional scholarships/grants are offered until you follow the financial aid application process I mentioned above.
  23. rjelalam

rjelalam

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Don't get your hopes up about scholarships. They don't have much, if you qualify, ppl only get about $3000-5000.
  24. swimchick

swimchick

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah, it's not a lot but I definitely can't complain. Between the scholarship PCOM just gave me and and an outside scholarship I have, that's about $11,000 I don't have to borrow for my 2nd year :)
  25. Duotone

Duotone

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you. Now I know (from you) that they have offered some form of scholarship in the past.
  26. swimchick

swimchick

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    They do, you just have to demonstrate financial need. PCOM has a few merit-based scholarships but they tend to be for upperclassmen or are offered only to students of the Philadelphia campus. I don't completely agree with their policies for applying/demonstrating need but, with aid as limited as it is, there has to be some method of determining who needs the money the most.
  27. eclarep

eclarep

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Really upset about this because my fiancé is a first year in the PharmD program and we just got an apartment.
    I'm going to apply for the boomed program but I hope I'm not too late. It took them so long to tell me if I was accepted or rejected I'm afraid I may be too late for the biomes program.
  28. hrider

hrider

Pre-Medical
    Waitlisted.

Trena said they have mailed out decisions for everyone- she also sent out emails (may have gone to your spam). I would recommend that if you haven't heard back yet, to call or email her because all the decisions have been sent out.
  29. tenndoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    When did you get an email
  30. hrider

hrider

Pre-Medical
    I called Trena today and she told me she sent out the last batch of emails this weekend (around the 23rd?)- I didn't get one in my inbox, or if I did, it went to my spam. She resent the email today, so I guess I officially received it today.
  31. hrider

hrider

Pre-Medical
    also- just to add, I asked her to resend mine, she didn't resend everyone's... so if you want her to resend you your email in case you did not get one, try calling her or emailing her with that request.
  32. tenndoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What is her email
  33. RealistPhD

RealistPhD

Non-Student
    I've been placed on the alternate list as well. Received the mailed letter last night, but no email. I didn't even know there was going to be an email, and it's now a bit too late to ask for it to be resent. lol. Do you mind either posting or PMing the contents of the email?
  34. djtiesto14

djtiesto14 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Pre-Dental
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Amen brotha!

35. bas5111

bas5111

Medical Student
    is there a difference between alternate list and waitlist? i received the alternate list letter but no email also so i'm wondering if one is better than the other?
  36. mtromer13

mtromer13

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    =)
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  37. Duotone

Duotone

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Means the same thing
  38. hrider

hrider

Pre-Medical
  39. hrider

hrider

Pre-Medical
    ).

The email did not say anything but had an attached form that you had to return in order to confirm that you wanted to be on the waitlist. You had to fill it out with your contact info- I am pretty sure that it was the same form sent out with the mailed letter but if you didn't get it here is what the form said:

"Return the enclosed response form indicating your intention to remain on the alternate
    list. Be sure to provide us with an address and telephone number(s) where we may
    contact you during the next few weeks. If you plan to be on vacation do not hesitate to
    call to give us any updated information.

Please be advised that if you are selected from the Alternate list, you will be required
    to remit $1750 as a deposit to hold your seat in the class.

We are hopeful that we will have a place for you in the Class of 2016 and appreciate
    your continued interest in Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic
    Medicine and in the osteopathic profession.

Very truly yours,

Walter Ehrenfeuchter, D.O.
    Chairman
    Faculty Committee on Admissions

Enclosed: Alternate List Intention Letter

Alternate List Intention Letter

By returning this letter by April 23 , 2012, you are indicating your intention to remain
    on the Alternate List for Admission to Georgia Campus – Philadelphia College of
    Osteopathic Medicine Class of 2016.

Name: _______________________________________________________

Address: _____________________________________________________

City & State: __________________________________________________

Phone: (Home) _____________________ (Cell) _____________________

Email: ________________________________________________________

Alternate Contact:

Name: ________________________________________________________

Phone: (Home) _____________________ (Cell) _____________________

Please Return to:

[email protected]"
  40. RealistPhD

RealistPhD

Non-Student
    Thanks for that. I wonder why most of us didn't get the email. I frequently check my spam just in the case and have not had anything form PCOM. The return date listed is different from the mailed letter I received (Apr.30th)...wonder if that means something...hmm...
  41. hrider

hrider

Pre-Medical
    No problem, she told me to ignore the return date because I didn't receive the form till much later, I have a feeling this is a generic format and the date doesn't really mean anything.
  42. mtromer13

mtromer13

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey when did you interview? Congrats by the way! :thumbup:

I interviewed early March, and my wait list letter was sent out April 23rd.

I looked through the older threads, and it says it is a ranked wait list system. Makes sense.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  43. tenndoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i sent trena an email this morning. hopefully, i get a good reply
  44. KPride

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you! This was my #1 choice so I am so relieved and happy. I interviewed March 23rd.
  45. KPride

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good luck to all those waiting. I hope each of you gets in somewhere soon.:xf::luck:
  46. tenndoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    waitlisted... c'est la vie
  47. zbmcatsucks

zbmcatsucks

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Iwas placed on wait list as well on the 20th. Spoke with trena today, people who've been accepted have to make their deposits again tomorrow. So by friday more people from waitlists will be pulled in to acceptances. I m thinking their cycle is ever 15 days. Because apr 15 was tge day the previous accwpted peoples deposit was due. Hmmmmm.... Keep waiting/praying I was placed on hold, then waitlisted, hopefully acceptance is the next step ?!?!
  48. RealistPhD

RealistPhD

Non-Student
    More good to know news! Guess the mad dash to the mailbox recommences this weekend! :D
  49. zbmcatsucks

zbmcatsucks

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hahahah!!! hey hey! I missed talking to you lol... I know no news= good news. But yea, I would call and check on my status next Monday, hopefully they will have more insight then?! Just hope you are not out of the waitlist a week before classes. I will not be a happy camper then!
  50. kengled2

kengled2

Medical Student
    Does anyone have any more recent news for those of us that are wait listed?