PCOM-GA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!!!!
Good luck to those still waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

does anybody have any recommendations as far as housing goes? i'm from florida and am not familiar with the area! hoping to go look at apartments at the beginning of june! :) thank you for any help!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody have any recommendations as far as housing goes? i'm from florida and am not familiar with the area! hoping to go look at apartments at the beginning of june! :) thank you for any help!

There are a few who give discounts on rent to us. Century riverside and century sugarloaf give 5%. 5375 sugarloaf gives 10%. Hope that helps some!

Accepted! And it just became real. Can't wait to see more of us pulled off of the list! :)

Last edited:
has anyone done an update letter? does it help? some schools don't care/don't read them

Hey Guys! You can get some great information about GA-PCOM on their student run website at http://www.mygapcom.com/ . The orientation section will update within the next month or so.

Recently, has anybody else gotten off the waitlist?

I haven't heard anything new lately. :shrug:
It'd be great if we (whoever is still waiting) had an idea of how many people are left on the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe so. Have you called recently for an update?

I'll be giving up my spot next week....

just sent in my deposit. my wife and i are looking forward to moving to Suwanee/Lawrenceville. How do we get added to the facebook group?

just sent in my deposit. my wife and i are looking forward to moving to Suwanee/Lawrenceville. How do we get added to the facebook group?

Hey all,

Congrats to everyone that got in :)

My top school is PCOM-Ga and I wanted to know if anyone got in with around a 3.19sGPA and a 3.37cGPA. I graduated from a top school in Georgia.

I plan on taking the MCAT August 4 (my previous MCAT score was a 17 which I did not study for).

Thanks!

I had the same rather lowish grades as you and got in so that shouldn't be too much of a concern. The MCAT thing is however, and the 'didn't study' argument only goes so far since there isn't much (if anything) to study for verbal section and your composite isn't much higher than a decent score on that one section alone. Study a bunch and apply super early, you never know what could happen. A huge improvement might demonstrate a willingness to work hard, address weaknesses, etc etc.

I had the same rather lowish grades as you and got in so that shouldn't be too much of a concern. The MCAT thing is however, and the 'didn't study' argument only goes so far since there isn't much (if anything) to study for verbal section and your composite isn't much higher than a decent score on that one section alone. Study a bunch and apply super early, you never know what could happen. A huge improvement might demonstrate a willingness to work hard, address weaknesses, etc etc.

Best time to take the MCAT is before June so you can have your scores ready for applying in June. Whatever you do, apply early (that means June/July). That makes a mountain of difference. After that window, application fatigue sets in at the AdCom offices, and only above-stellar score candidates can squeeze through. So apply early.

I think taking the mcat in August is fine. I would make sure to have the rest of your application completed before you get your mcat scores back though so the second your mcat
Scores come in you can submit your app. You can submit your app before you get your mcat scores but thu won't really look at it until your new scores come on so you may as well wait and take the extra time. Obviously the earlier you apply the better, but I had a 3.5 gpa 3.6ish sgpa. I didn't apply until January (I just made the deadline) and I ended up getting into 5 DO schools. I was wait listed at 3 of the schools including PCOM ga but ended up getting in of the waitlist about a month and a half ago. My point is that even with about average stats (mine were definitely not above stellar) it is possible to get in if you apply late in the cycle. Definitely try to apply as early as possible, but it's not like your app has I be submitted before August to be considered. I'd honestly focus on just getting that mcat score up and you'll be fine! Good luck studyig:)

Last edited:
has there been any movement on the list recently? Do you guys think we should be expecting any before school starts? keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm a first-year DO at GA-PCOM, and to those who have been accepted, congratulations! Your hard work has definitely paid off! To those still waiting to hear, hang in there, things still slide until the very day of classes. Don't lose hope.

That said, I'm offering half of a referral fee reward for anyone who uses my name when visiting/taking a tour at the 5375 Sugarloaf Pkwy Apartments, Lawrenceville, GA 30043.

Half of the PCOM students live in this complex because it is close (6-10 min, depending on traffic early in the morning), has A-MAZE-ING ammenities, including complimentary laundry service and vallet dry-cleaning, and the staff/maintenance are top notch. And there's also a PCOM discount on rent there.

Anywhosawhahaveits, if you kindly put "Brent Gardner" on the questionnaire when you check the place out as your referral, I'm going to split the reward money with you 50/50 if/when you sign a lease here. Simple as that!

PS - if you have any questions about PCOM or 5375 Sugarloaf Pkwy Apts, or about Lawrenceville/Atlanta in general (or to just get those pangs of existential angst out off your chest), you can email me at [email protected]

Thanks

I'm new to SDN and had a few questions. I'm considering entering the Biomedicine program at PCOM-Ga and wanted to know more about it. I have a 3.45 gpa and am preparing for the MCAT in the spring. I'm strongly considering the program to get used to the way the classes are taught and strengthen my application for DO school. To enter the program do you have to take the MCAT or just the GRE?? Any other information would be great.

Thanks

I am interviewing April 12, 2013. I know that is late in the cycle, but how late is that really? At that point, is it usually just for the wait list or are there seats still open?

Does anyone know the latest interview date?

Thanks!