PCOM-GA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else apply to both PCOM and GA-PCOM? The essays for both schools are exactly the same. Is it okay to just use the same essay for both??

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else apply to both PCOM and GA-PCOM? The essays for both schools are exactly the same. Is it okay to just use the same essay for both??

I applied to both and used almost the same essay. Since I am from the South I tailored that essay towards the GA school but aside from a few sentences they were very similar.

Is it true that PCOM will not interview/accept people with anything less than an 8 in each MCAT sub-section?

Does anyone know about this???? I have a 7 in a section and PCOM is a top choice school for me.

I have read on some threads that they have given conditional acceptances to people under the condition they retake their MCAT and earn an 8 in each section!!:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a "received secondary" email last night.

SS: 8/24
Cashed my check: 9/2
Received date listed on the email: 9/12
I applied regular decision to the GA-PCOM campus only.

Last edited:
I have a Mac with Lion OS X and I cannot save my secondary app... The boxes keep getting unchecked whenever I try to save. Lion OS X also no longer has the Save As option...

Is anyone else having trouble?

For the check, do we need to specify the pay order line to "PCOM-GA" or just "PCOM", especially if we are applying to both campuses? Thanks in advance!

It seems strange to me that no one has heard back from this school. It is abnormal to not even start giving interviews yet? We are getting pretty late in the process -- I want an interview :(

It seems strange to me that no one has heard back from this school. It is abnormal to not even start giving interviews yet? We are getting pretty late in the process -- I want an interview :(

Two years back, when they switched to paperless secondaries, GA-PCOM didn't start issuing interview invites until ~9/24. It's probably a good assumption that since they instituted another change in the secondary app this year, they'll be operating on a similar, if not further delayed, timeline. It's early. It's only September. Don't let the stress get to you just yet. :)

Does anybody know what the weekly class schedule looks like? Is class attendance mandatory? Stuff like that?

Two years back, when they switched to paperless secondaries, GA-PCOM didn't start issuing interview invites until ~9/24. It's probably a good assumption that since they instituted another change in the secondary app this year, they'll be operating on a similar, if not further delayed, timeline. It's early. It's only September. Don't let the stress get to you just yet. :)

Does anybody know what the weekly class schedule looks like? Is class attendance mandatory? Stuff like that?

most weeks are 8-4 M-Thur and usually get out at noon on Friday.

attendance is not mandatory and they record all lectures.

most weeks are 8-4 M-Thur and usually get out at noon on Friday.

attendance is not mandatory and they record all lectures.

Thank you! I am loving this school more and more.

Members don't see this ad :)
To current students: I realize PCOM-GA is in Suwanee which is north of Atlanta, but is it feasible to commute from Atlanta? Do any students currently do this? I have family in ATL so it would be nice to commute from the city if the drive is not too much of a headache since I know Atlanta traffic can be bad but this would be a reverse commute is seems like.

Thanks!

To current students: I realize PCOM-GA is in Suwanee which is north of Atlanta, but is it feasible to commute from Atlanta? Do any students currently do this? I have family in ATL so it would be nice to commute from the city if the drive is not too much of a headache since I know Atlanta traffic can be bad but this would be a reverse commute is seems like.

Thanks!

GA-PCOM's campus is about 45 min from downtown Atlanta; probably a hour+ in morning/evening traffic. While you are right that from downtown you are going against the flow; however, you have to traverse the worst intersection in the city "Spaghetti Junction" and it didn't get it's name accidentally.

So much in ATL depends on where you are coming from in the city, and few people live in "atlanta" proper. Where does your family live? If you want, PM the actual city/location and I can give you drive times as I have lived in ATL for years.

45 min? which atlanta are you going to? takes ~25...plenty of people live in atlanta/buckhead and commute here

Interview invite this morning!! :) Completed: September 8

Invite this morning. Interview on 10/3. That makes 2 interviews that weekend !@#(%

Thanks!

I lived in Buckhead for the first month or so of first year. The drive wasn't bad. It only took about 30 minutes to get to school each morning. The traffic usually wasn't bad either. BuckFMP lives in Atl and commutes everyday. He may be able to provide better advice as he does it every day.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it is not a bad commute at all.

I guess interviews have started going out. I've yet to hear anything, but I've only been complete for a couple weeks. Those who got interviews mind sharing your stats?

I heard rumor earlier in this thread that you must have a 8+ in each section of the MCAT to be considered. Anyone know if this is true? I have a 10/8/7 in my most recent MCAT, but in a previous MCAT that 7 was an 8 -- does this count as qualifying? Thanks for the clarification!

I heard rumor earlier in this thread that you must have a 8+ in each section of the MCAT to be considered. Anyone know if this is true? I have a 10/8/7 in my most recent MCAT, but in a previous MCAT that 7 was an 8 -- does this count as qualifying? Thanks for the clarification!

I haven't heard this about PCOM. From what I've heard a lot of MD schools are strict about no 7's, but I've never heard of a DO school with that rule. I think you could have a shot at PCOM with your stats.

I guess interviews have started going out. I've yet to hear anything, but I've only been complete for a couple weeks. Those who got interviews mind sharing your stats?

GPA: 3.62 sGPA: 3.58
MCAT: 12PS/7VR/10BS

I got an interview so I am sure you will get one soon! just be patient :)

Interview Invite!!! :) I'll be there October 10th.

I think you're fine! I had a 7 in one section and I got an interview invite this morning. Mine is October 10th. It was strange though, because I had heard that rumor too, so I called their admissions office about a week ago to ask and the lady I talked too, was like "yes, we screen out people who have a 7 in a section." She was kind of rude though so I think she was just trying to get rid of me, but anyways I did end up getting an interview, so...

I haven't heard this about PCOM. From what I've heard a lot of MD schools are strict about no 7's, but I've never heard of a DO school with that rule. I think you could have a shot at PCOM with your stats.

Thanks. Let us hope!!

Thanks. Let us hope!!

PCOM has a history of being very strict on <8 sub-scores. However, I am aware of members here that have been interviewed & even offered with a 7 before.

Ultimately, like everything else you have to remember there are very few things set in stone. So much, especially at a DO school, is who you are and what your story is that a single # won't stop you.

PCOM has a history of being very strict on <8 sub-scores. However, I am aware of members here that have been interviewed & even offered with a 7 before.

Ultimately, like everything else you have to remember there are very few things set in stone. So much, especially at a DO school, is who you are and what your story is that a single # won't stop you.

I just got an interview invite for PCOM-GA, so excited!!!! I have a 7 in one of my sub-sections so I am now proof it is possible to get an interview with a 7 in a sub-section. Hopefully that translates to an acceptance as well :)

I think you're fine! I had a 7 in one section and I got an interview invite this morning. Mine is October 10th. It was strange though, because I had heard that rumor too, so I called their admissions office about a week ago to ask and the lady I talked too, was like "yes, we screen out people who have a 7 in a section." She was kind of rude though so I think she was just trying to get rid of me, but anyways I did end up getting an interview, so...

I just got an interview invite for PCOM-GA, so excited!!!! I have a 7 in one of my sub-sections so I am now proof it is possible to get an interview with a 7 in a sub-section. Hopefully that translates to an acceptance as well :)

Thanks for the uplifting news guys :) This is one of my top 3 choices (pre-visting any), so hopefully they will show me some love shortly. Good luck on all of your interviews!!!

Has anyone already interviewed here and been accepted? Just wondering how long it takes to hear back about an acceptance. Thanks!

Interview Invite for Oct 11 received on Sept 29. I was complete Sept 9

Has anyone already interviewed here and been accepted? Just wondering how long it takes to hear back about an acceptance. Thanks!

I don't think anyone has interviewed yet. The first batch of people to interview is on Oct. 3 i am guessing. :confused:

So my online application is only registering two letters of recommendation, one committee letter and a "letter of recommendation 1". The problem is that I sent a total of four letters of recommendation: one committee letter, two physician letters, and one personal letter. I'm trying to figure out whether that "letter of recommendation 1" is just a compilation of all my additional letters of rec (sans the committee letter) or if my other letters have been misplaced. What's frustrating is that every time I attempt to call PCOM, my call gets sent straight to voicemail.

So, anyone know about the LOR situation? If not, what number are y'all calling? I'm using the number listed when I first received the secondary application.

So my online application is only registering two letters of recommendation, one committee letter and a "letter of recommendation 1". The problem is that I sent a total of four letters of recommendation: one committee letter, two physician letters, and one personal letter. I'm trying to figure out whether that "letter of recommendation 1" is just a compilation of all my additional letters of rec (sans the committee letter) or if my other letters have been misplaced. What's frustrating is that every time I attempt to call PCOM, my call gets sent straight to voicemail.

So, anyone know about the LOR situation? If not, what number are y'all calling? I'm using the number listed when I first received the secondary application.

I *think* you are ok, I'm interviewing tomorrow at GA-PCOM and traveling so I can't confirm what mine says, but I remember thinking the same thing.

In the meantime, call PCOM and ask. You said you got VM, if you do then leave a message I've never had any issues hearing back from them.

I'll PM you the direct # for the admissions coordinator.

I *think* you are ok, I'm interviewing tomorrow at GA-PCOM and traveling so I can't confirm what mine says, but I remember thinking the same thing.

In the meantime, call PCOM and ask. You said you got VM, if you do then leave a message I've never had any issues hearing back from them.

I'll PM you the direct # for the admissions coordinator.

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Interviewed this morning, figured I'd post some quick notes while in the airport:

-Small interview group (5) overall pretty laid back.
-Quick group chat with Trena (admissions coordinator);
-35min tour with a 2nd Masters student who is applying this cycle as well to the DO program.
-back to room to sit for a while and just talk among ourselves
-2 interviewers, took 1 person at a time to conference room and then you were done once they finished with you
-interview was 2 interviews at once, informal "tell me about yourself' type of questions, VERY little details on application/grades/etc. Felt very much a test of personality/fit rather than screening.

Overall went well, think I did well.

Only two thoughts:
1) Would have liked a medical student as a tour guide (other school I have interviewed w/ used MS2's) rather than a Master's student because while she was very nice, she is not a medical student and can't speak personally for the program or what life/classes are like as a MS1.
2) School is growing faster than the building allows IMHO. With the addition of PharmD and increasing class sizes seem to be having space issues. A key example is this Spring I was told they would be expanding DO lecture rooms to fit the larger class, instead they expanded the parking lot and just squished the added students in. Honestly, this may not be as much an issue as it felt like, but see #1 for why I can't tell what it really is like.

To those to come behind, good luck!!

Interviewed this morning, figured I'd post some quick notes while in the airport:

-Small interview group (5) overall pretty laid back.
-Quick group chat with Trena (admissions coordinator);
-35min tour with a 2nd Masters student who is applying this cycle as well to the DO program.
-back to room to sit for a while and just talk among ourselves
-2 interviewers, took 1 person at a time to conference room and then you were done once they finished with you
-interview was 2 interviews at once, informal "tell me about yourself' type of questions, VERY little details on application/grades/etc. Felt very much a test of personality/fit rather than screening.

Overall went well, think I did well.

Only two thoughts:
1) Would have liked a medical student as a tour guide (other school I have interviewed w/ used MS2's) rather than a Master's student because while she was very nice, she is not a medical student and can't speak personally for the program or what life/classes are like as a MS1.
2) School is growing faster than the building allows IMHO. With the addition of PharmD and increasing class sizes seem to be having space issues. A key example is this Spring I was told they would be expanding DO lecture rooms to fit the larger class, instead they expanded the parking lot and just squished the added students in. Honestly, this may not be as much an issue as it felt like, but see #1 for why I can't tell what it really is like.

To those to come behind, good luck!!

Thank you. It's good to have some insight as to how it's being done this year. I hope to be blessed with an interview as well. Good luck!

A very laid back interview. Good luck to everyone.

Interview Invite this morning! I'm so beyond excited about this interview :love:

SS: 8/24; C: 9/12; II: 10/5; I: 10/17

Who else is interviewing next Monday (10/10)? :)

Interview invite today for Oct. 18th. Why on a Tuesday? I don't know. Regardless, pretty pumped. School seems cool and living near atl would offer a lot of opportunities for 3rd and 4th year I would think. Good luck to everyone.

I interviewed on Oct 3rd and I just wanted to give some feedback on what I thought and some advice:
-Similar to LifeTake2 I was surprised are tour guide was a Biomedical Science student and not a medical student. She was very nice it was just weird that somebody that was appying the same cycle as us was taking us around.
- The whole day seemed very impersonal. They did not give us any information on the school or what their mission was. I think I might feel this way because I interviewed at VCOM CC a few days before and the admissions staff there was so friendly and personable.
- I was surprised we were not able to see anatomy lab.
- The interview process was pretty nice though. Seemed really laid back and were not trying to make it too hard on us. They just wanted to get to know us. Be ready to talk about yourself without any questions.
- Seemed like they had too many students for the size of the facility.
- Very quick interview day--> only about 2 hours total
- Having said that if I get into PCOM, I think it's going to be a tough decision to make. Does anyone have advice/pro's and con's about VCOM-CC and PCOM-GA? What's better?

Just got an interview invite here for Oct 18th!!!! :) very, very excited!

I also interviewed on October 3rd. Very very relaxed. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited: