PCOM-GA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview Invite this morning! I'm so beyond excited about this interview :love:

SS: 8/24; C: 9/12; II: 10/5; I: 10/17

I'm interviewing too that day. What part of Bama are you from?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!!

Thanks!!! I really, really love ATL and the rotation sites for this school rule. Crazy pumped, but trying to keep it toned down so I don't get my hopes up.

I also interviewed on October 3rd. Very very relaxed. Good luck to everyone.

That's so comforting to hear! Did they mention how long it would take to get a decision back by any chance? I hope it's not too long >.<

Trena said she plans on mailing decisions out sometime next week for the Oct 3rd interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing too that day. What part of Bama are you from?

Sweet! I was starting to get worried I'd been given the wrong interview date with so many people interviewing the following Tuesday. I'm originally from Georgia, but I'm currently in Birmingham. You?

Trena said she plans on mailing decisions out sometime next week for the Oct 3rd interviews.

That's a pretty quick turn around. Thanks for answering :) Good luck! :xf::luck:

Sweet! I was starting to get worried I'd been given the wrong interview date with so many people interviewing the following Tuesday. I'm originally from Georgia, but I'm currently in Birmingham. You?

I am from GA and currently live in North Alabama! I hope i hear something from this school, it is my #1! I just emailed my secondary today :xf:

invited to interview but I withdrew...already accepted to my top DO choice and my spouse was like, "you wanna go to GEORGIA?" lol

Ha, I live in Bham too, (work and went to school at UAB) but originally from Huntsville, AL. I love the fact that I have an afternoon interview and don't have to get there until 11:45am. No hotel costs is muy bueno!

Ha, I live in Bham too, (work and went to school at UAB) but originally from Huntsville, AL. I love the fact that I have an afternoon interview and don't have to get there until 11:45am. No hotel costs is muy bueno!

Excellent! I did my grad work at UAB, and that's where I'm employed as well. What dept. are you in? I'm in Pharm/Tox. Ditto about the afternoon interview. My parents live 1-1.5 h from the campus. It's nice to be able to cut some costs, even if it does mean I'll still hit traffic on the way back.

Excellent! I did my grad work at UAB, and that's where I'm employed as well. What dept. are you in? I'm in Pharm/Tox. Ditto about the afternoon interview. My parents live 1-1.5 h from the campus. It's nice to be able to cut some costs, even if it does mean I'll still hit traffic on the way back.

Nice, I did grad work there too in Nutrition Sciences/Biology. Now I work in the Neurobiology department.

Nice, I did grad work there too in Nutrition Sciences/Biology. Now I work in the Neurobiology department.

Totally dipping in yall's conversation but: UAB alum here as well. Completed their Nurse Anesthetist program. I'm no longer in AL though.

Members don't see this ad :)

Awesome! She told us that we might not hear anything til the end of Oct. since there were some scheduling conflicts for the day the admissions committee met, but that's nice to know we'll be getting the decisions sooner than expected.

Totally dipping in yall's conversation but: UAB alum here as well. Completed their Nurse Anesthetist program. I'm no longer in AL though.

That's awesome :D. I think it's fun to see fellow UAB alums in the most random of places. It speaks well of the school. Are you interviewing in October?

That's awesome :D. I think it's fun to see fellow UAB alums in the most random of places. It speaks well of the school. Are you interviewing in October?

Oh how I wish. Unfortunately, it took forever for one of my schools to submit my transcript, so my primary hasn't been processed :(

I just did my interview today. All of the students who were leading the tours were other osteopathic students. There were three tour guides (they call them ambassadors) for 5 interviewees.

I have decided that this school might be a real life Tardis as it appears bigger on the inside as it does on the outside. Short people, I would recommend getting stilts as trying to look over the security desk is down right impossible.

It was a pretty easy interview though. The questions were:

1) Why Medicine? Why DO?
2) What do you do for fun?
3) What specialties are you interested in?
4) How have the rest of your applications been going?

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on how clinicals are graded during M3/M4? I'm pretty naive about the whole process, but it seems to vary from school to school about what weight evals or shelf exams count towards each clerkship's final grade. How are they handled at GA-PCOM?

I just did my interview today. All of the students who were leading the tours were other osteopathic students. There were three tour guides (they call them ambassadors) for 5 interviewees.

I have decided that this school might be a real life Tardis as it appears bigger on the inside as it does on the outside. Short people, I would recommend getting stilts as trying to look over the security desk is down right impossible.

It was a pretty easy interview though. The questions were:

1) Why Medicine? Why DO?
Thanks for the rundown...getting excited/nervous. Did they happen to mention when you would hear back? I'm most nervous about a long decision turn-around time (where I will surely go insane checking the mail).

Am i supposed to get an email saying they received my secondary? Or just once everything is complete? I emailed my app last Wednesday and haven't heard anything.

Thanks for the rundown...getting excited/nervous. Did they happen to mention when you would hear back? I'm most nervous about a long decision turn-around time (where I will surely go insane checking the mail).

2 to 3 weeks is what they are expecting.

Am i supposed to get an email saying they received my secondary? Or just once everything is complete? I emailed my app last Wednesday and haven't heard anything.

They emailed me when I was complete. I mailed in my secondary, my check, and forwarded my LORs. It took them about 2 weeks.

For those of you who have interviewed and got a hotel, where did you stay? I want to find something close and reasonable :)

I hope the decisions for Oct. 3 interviews come out soon :scared:

I believe decisions for 10/3 interviews are done (ie they have already decided); they hoped to mail this week but I haven't seen mine yet :shrug:

I believe decisions for 10/3 interviews are done (ie they have already decided); they hoped to mail this week but I haven't seen mine yet :shrug:

Are you sure? I thought Trena said they won't be making decisions until the end of October for Oct. 3 interviews :confused:

Congrats to those with interviews and acceptances!!!! This is my #1 school being from AL and I am patiently (not) waiting for an interview invite! Hope its not too late:(

Anyone else that interviewed 10/3 get their letters yet?

Anyone else that interviewed 10/3 get their letters yet?

I got mine today (Thursday) in Augusta, though Trena told me someone got theirs yesterday in Atlanta. That would imply they were mailed Tuesday afternoon likely.

Congrats!!! 10 day turn-around...not to shabby :) Is this where you will attend?

I agree the turn-around was great, I can't believe I know so quickly.

As for attending, I'm about 99% sure yes.

I have two allo interviews (one done, one on 10/31) but right now I'm leaning heavily to PCOM regardless of how they turn out. And my kids have already made their votes clear for PCOM :)

I have two allo interviews (one done, one on 10/31) but right now I'm leaning heavily to PCOM regardless of how they turn out. And my kids have already made their votes clear for PCOM :)

Congrats and good luck on your next interview! Hopefully your good luck will rub off on those of us who're scheduled to interview next :)

Accepted! I interviewed on October 3rd too and I am from Augusta just like LifeTake .. My letter came in this afternoon. :)

Congrats to all those that were accepted!

Got my letter yesterday.

They are holding my acceptance decision pending my January MCAT.

I'll be busting my butt for the next three months.

Hope to see you all in the fall.

Looking for advice on the MCAT. Anyone that scored above a 30 have any tips?

With gratitude.

:)

That's so great...I'm glad your kids are happy with a place you were accepted. That definitely helps! It's an awesome school. Hopefully here in a couple weeks I'll be able to tell ya we'll be classmates (I'm trying to stay optimistic!)

Accepted! I interviewed on October 3rd too and I am from Augusta just like LifeTake .. My letter came in this afternoon. :)
Congrats!!!! Awesome feeling :) Now you get to relax!

Congrats to all those that were accepted!

Got my letter yesterday.

They are holding my acceptance decision pending my January MCAT.

I'll be busting my butt for the next three months.

Hope to see you all in the fall.
If you don't mind sharing, what MCAT score did you have before that they are making you retake (I'm a little concerned about mine...I only have a 25R -- the MCAT is the weak point of my app). I'm trying to gauge whether I will be asked to retake as well. Thanks for any insight you can offer :)

My Mcat was a 23.

Okay, thanks for sharing :) Maybe I'll get lucky!

And not that my score is steller, but my practice averages (AAMC 9-11) were b/t 30-32 and I used examkrackers. I think they really helped. I've got EK notes + a link to the EK audio osmosis if you need them...just pm me. Good luck! You'll get the score you need.

Got an interview a week or two ago for Monday 10/24 :). This will be my first interview so I'm glad it seems laid back as that'll ease me into the process. As for the 10 day reply rate - this isn't my first choice and I have 2 other interviews 11/18 and 12/3. Do you know how the "you must accept within 4 weeks" rule works? Is it that concrete, or do you just have to make a few hundred dollar deposit or something within 4 weeks to hold your spot?

Got an interview a week or two ago for Monday 10/24 :). This will be my first interview so I'm glad it seems laid back as that'll ease me into the process. As for the 10 day reply rate - this isn't my first choice and I have 2 other interviews 11/18 and 12/3. Do you know how the "you must accept within 4 weeks" rule works? Is it that concrete, or do you just have to make a few hundred dollar deposit or something within 4 weeks to hold your spot?

You have to make a $250 deposit by December 15 if you get accepted. Good luck :luck:

Thanks Vandyam and LifeTake! Hope to see you guys there next year :)

I got mine today (Thursday) in Augusta, though Trena told me someone got theirs yesterday in Atlanta. That would imply they were mailed Tuesday afternoon likely.

Awesome. I'm from MS, so I guess my letter should be in tomorrow.

I will be right behind you guys. Anyone interviewing on the 10/24? I will be there with a big smile. :)

Yup, see ya then! my name is Tatyana so it'll probably be easy to identify me by that if we get nametags. I'm blonde and short :p

1) Why Medicine? Why DO?

Thank you so much for posting those! Did you get an impression of how long of answers you needed to provide for each one? It seems like there's not much asked, so they would expect you to talk for 5-10 minutes... I don't want to ramble though.

Interviewed this morning, figured I'd post some quick notes while in the airport:

-Small interview group (5) overall pretty laid back.
-Quick group chat with Trena (admissions coordinator);
-35min tour with a 2nd Masters student who is applying this cycle as well to the DO program.
-back to room to sit for a while and just talk among ourselves
-2 interviewers, took 1 person at a time to conference room and then you were done once they finished with you
-interview was 2 interviews at once, informal "tell me about yourself' type of questions, VERY little details on application/grades/etc. Felt very much a test of personality/fit rather than screening.

Overall went well, think I did well.

Only two thoughts:
1) Would have liked a medical student as a tour guide (other school I have interviewed w/ used MS2's) rather than a Master's student because while she was very nice, she is not a medical student and can't speak personally for the program or what life/classes are like as a MS1.
2) School is growing faster than the building allows IMHO. With the addition of PharmD and increasing class sizes seem to be having space issues. A key example is this Spring I was told they would be expanding DO lecture rooms to fit the larger class, instead they expanded the parking lot and just squished the added students in. Honestly, this may not be as much an issue as it felt like, but see #1 for why I can't tell what it really is like.

To those to come behind, good luck!!

The school is growing, but there is plenty of space. I am a first year and our class is not "squished" in anywhere. We have a large classroom that can accomodate everyone. I havent heard anyone complain of space issues yet