PCOM-GA second year board study time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ladydoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Can someone tell me how long second year PCOM-GA students get to study for boards at the end of second year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like PCOM-GA students aren't allowed to post on SDN or something. The 2014-2015 thread only has 12 pages (most have about 50) and there are never responses from students to the PCOM-GA threads. It's really strange...

We got a month last year, no idea what the situation is this year (for current second years).

As to the level of engagement here- feel free to ask any questions that you have and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like PCOM-GA students aren't allowed to post on SDN or something. The 2014-2015 thread only has 12 pages (most have about 50) and there are never responses from students to the PCOM-GA threads. It's really strange...

I heard there are some very strange students and some VERY strange professors.

Every school/class has at least one. Nothing outside of the ordinary. Most people are just too busy to post here.

For my class, we got 2 weeks of time after our finals. Then you can take another month to study, but it uses up your vacation month in 4th year (so 4th year will be extended til graduation time (May)). Don't forget about ACS - it's a month of basically half-days and you get the afternoons to study/do whatever you want.

TLDR - 2 weeks minimum. 6 weeks if you use vacation time. 10 weeks if you use vacation time + ACS month.

PS. I've had classmates who did the 2 weeks minimum, cause they wanted their vacation time at the end of 4th year. Several of them regret it, since their Step 1 scores were below average. Just a word of caution!

Reactions: 1 user
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1430012388.304322.jpg

We got a month last year, no idea what the situation is this year (for current second years).

As to the level of engagement here- feel free to ask any questions that you have and I'll answer to the best of my ability.
Thank you SO MUCH for your response! Just for clarification, do you mean that you got a whole month after second year finals to 100% study for the boards?

Thanks!

For my class, we got 2 weeks of time after our finals. Then you can take another month to study, but it uses up your vacation month in 4th year (so 4th year will be extended til graduation time (May)). Don't forget about ACS - it's a month of basically half-days and you get the afternoons to study/do whatever you want.

TLDR - 2 weeks minimum. 6 weeks if you use vacation time. 10 weeks if you use vacation time + ACS month.

PS. I've had classmates who did the 2 weeks minimum, cause they wanted their vacation time at the end of 4th year. Several of them regret it, since their Step 1 scores were below average. Just a word of caution!

Thanks for responding!! Just for clarification- you got two weeks after finals, and then ACS before taking the boards? Or do you have to use your vacation time after finals, before ACS? I think I am confusing myself.

only 2 weeks of board study time? that's wrong on so many levels.

i love how we're throwing these schools millions of dollars, but they refuse to take on constructive criticism from their students. it's not like this board exam determines my future or anything

Here are your options:

1. 2 week break after finals + 1 month ACS - take exam
2. 2 week break after finals + 1 month ACS + 1 month vacation - take exam.

With option 1, you finish your last rotation of 4th year 1 month before graduation. Therefore, you keep your vacation month.
With option 2, you lose your vacation month at the end of 4th year. Therefore, you finish your last rotation the day before graduation.

You can take your board exam anytime you want - at the end of your 2 week break, during ACS, or during your vacation.

I don't know of anyone who didn't choose to take the 1 month of dedicated board prep in my class. Not doing so would be a huge mistake.

Your entire fourth year after the match is a vacation. There's no need for a "vacation month at the end of the 4th year".