PCOM-GA vs. VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samkell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the new thread, but I searched for PCOM-GA and couldn't find anything. Has anyone on here gotten in there??? I had an interview at PCOM-GA and have one coming up at VCOM. I'm just looking for opinions from students who interviewed/were accepted at one of these schools with the hopes that I might be accepted on one or both, even though I know it's really late. :oops: Any input/advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

VCOM its not a branch campus

And don't drink coffee grains (as i did while posting this :eek: )

VCOM its not a branch campus

And don't drink coffee grains (as i did while posting this :eek: )

Sorry, but does that mean that you would advise going to VCOM since it's not a branch campus? Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the new thread, but I searched for PCOM-GA and couldn't find anything. Has anyone on here gotten in there??? I had an interview at PCOM-GA and have one coming up at VCOM. I'm just looking for opinions from students who interviewed/were accepted at one of these schools with the hopes that I might be accepted on one or both, even though I know it's really late. :oops: Any input/advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I have been accepted to pcom-ga. it's a great campus with advanced technology and the people are really nice.plus there are only 80-85 spots so the class is small which is great.

I have been accepted to pcom-ga. it's a great campus with advanced technology and the people are really nice.plus there are only 80-85 spots so the class is small which is great.

vcom.

Yes in my opinion VCOM

I don't mean to offend anyone.

I have talked to several medical students who said that in hind sight they would have prefered to attend VCOM over their current schools.

It seems like VCOM is up and coming, however i don't know much about pcom-G.

BUT PCOM has a great model to work off of that has worked for over 100 years!

VCOM...going on four years.

One positive for VCOM is its affiliation with Virginia Tech.

Let your interview help you make this decision...

BUT PCOM has a great model to work off of that has worked for over 100 years!

VCOM...going on four years.

One positive for VCOM is its affiliation with Virginia Tech.

Let your interview help you make this decision...

Doesn't matter when the professors aren't the same.

I dont know much about either school but I am from the area PCOM-G is in. I can tell you that it is a very nice area with low crime. Everyone in the area seems to have buku money :eek:

I dont know much about either school but I am from the area PCOM-G is in. I can tell you that it is a very nice area with low crime. Everyone in the area seems to have buku money :eek:

huh?

BIG (-) for VCOM, no summer break:eek:

samkell,

I was accepted to both VCOM and GA-PCOM two years ago and ultimately decided on GA-PCOM. It was not an easy decision, but I have been very happy in Georgia. A few of the factors that swayed me were the small class size, PCOM affiliation, location right outside of Atlanta, and no mandatory attendance or dress code :D What did you think of the school during your interview here?

Good luck with your upcoming VCOM interview. They are very friendly and interviews are pretty laid back.

Members don't see this ad :)
samkell,

I was accepted to both VCOM and GA-PCOM two years ago and ultimately decided on GA-PCOM. It was not an easy decision, but I have been very happy in Georgia. A few of the factors that swayed me were the small class size, PCOM affiliation, location right outside of Atlanta, and no mandatory attendance or dress code :D What did you think of the school during your interview here?

Good luck with your upcoming VCOM interview. They are very friendly and interviews are pretty laid back.

Not true.

Samkell, I have not interviewed there yet. I saw it on interview feedback so I went and looked at the academic calendar and sure enough, no real summer break. They get I think 2 weeks of between each block and then don't take a formal summer break.
check it out http://www.vcom.vt.edu/resource/calendar-home.html
Now I am not sure I WANT to interview :(

Samkell, I have not interviewed there yet. I saw it on interview feedback so I went and looked at the academic calendar and sure enough, no real summer break. They get I think 2 weeks of between each block and then don't take a formal summer break.
check it out http://www.vcom.vt.edu/resource/calendar-home.html
Now I am not sure I WANT to interview :(

Yeah, we generally go two months on, one week off--smaller blocks are one month on, one week off. This year, there's a full month (or is it five weeks?) break at the end of first year (was 3 weeks for my class), and a six-week break at the end of second year. I definitely miss having summers off, and being able to take a real vacation.

When I was a MSI and a MSII we got a full month off between those years, as well as 1 to 1.5 weeks (depending on how the week fell on the calender) off between each block and 2 weeks off after block 1. There have been some changes and they are working hard at improving the schedules. They have made some changes for the 2009 class based on our (2008) recommendations.

As to the OP's question, no school is perfect, you just have to try and find the most perfect fit for you. I am still very very very glad I came to VCOM. If I had to do it all again, I would not hesitate to pick VCOM again. I was accepted to both DO and MD schools and picked VCOM over the other acceptances I recieved. Good luck in your choice. :)

Hi Amy! I just wanted to ask what you think is the MOST NEGATIVE aspect of VCOM. I have only heard great things about it so far, but I am a little concerned about how new it is. Also, have you taken Part 1 of the boards yet? During my interview, the students said that the third year students did really well? Is this true?

Sam, just think...we are all getting in....we are all getting in!!!! I know I know...i'm not much help here...but trying to cheer you up. :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: Good luck on your interview at VCOM...i'm sure you are gonna do great!

From what I hear, and mind you it is only speculation, the 2008 class did a good job with Step 1.

A negative aspect??? hhmmmmm... well I guess I would have to say the amount of hours spent in the classroom. Some people arent audiotory learners and being in class is not the best way they learn. But they are changing things and always improving so by the time you all start it may not be like it was when we were there in the classroom. I have to say though, classroom work is just 2 years long. Once you hit 3rd year it is soo wonderful and the classroom seems like forever ago.

I wouldn't worry too much about the newness to the point where it scares you away. I feel totally prepared while out on the rotations I have been on. Granted, i still know a very very small amount of stuff, but things start to make sense more and more as your 3rd year goes on.

Hi AmyB,
I have an interview at VCOM on 3/21. I really, really want to do a good job and get a spot in the 2011 class! :D Any suggestions? Thanks for all the good comments about the school. I really haven't heard any bad things, and I'm very excited about the interview!
Samantha

I am sorry but i will not be on SDN answering things for a long while.. My son was suddenly and horribly taken from this Earth on Friday.

Good luck to you all. God bless and dont take any moments on this earth for granted. Love your loved ones like it is your last seconds alive and let them love you the same way.

Life is here and in a blink of an eye or a breath taken to your lungs..it's gone.

I am sorry but i will not be on SDN answering things for a long while.. My son was suddenly and horribly taken from this Earth on Friday.

Good luck to you all. God bless and dont take any moments on this earth for granted. Love your loved ones like it is your last seconds alive and let them love you the same way.

Life is here and in a blink of an eye or a breath taken to your lungs..it's gone.

Soo sorry Amy! My heart goes out to you..:love:

I'm so sorry for you Amy. My thoughts are prayers are with you and your family. :(

I was accepted to both VCOM and PCOM GA as well as some others and I've been happy with my VCOM decision. I love the fact that we're considered VA Tech grad students and get all the perks (tickets, interhall sports, libraries, fun college downtown). PCOM GA is also a well respected institution though. If you're interviewing, PM me, I have an extra bedroom right across the street from VCOM (internet, large screen TV, kitchen, private bath) you can stay in.

For one thing they are in polar opposite environments. I interviewed at VCOM and decided on GA_PCOM. Location is a huge factor!

VCOM:

Very woodsy, tons of outdoor activities but nothing even close to a big city atmosphere. Very small town feel. If you love mountain biking, rock climbing etc. Yes you will be studying a lot but you need breaks! I think I remember the closest real mall being like 45mins to an hour away. V-tech is very nice but in my humble opinion in the middle of no where!

GA-PCOM:

The school itself is in a very suburban, family oriented town, nice schools moderate size houses with the biggest mall in the Southeast 10 mins from the school! Tons of chain restaraunts, movie theaters, strip malls. In a half hour you are in Atlanta: Falcons, CNN, Midtown Atlanta, Buckhead etc.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. It is all a personal feel . You might not think location is a big deal but you will see that it is when you are stuck somewhere for 2-4 years depending on where your rotations are (I don't remember the VCOM sites).

BMW-

location is a big factor but what the OP needs to consider is which school he/she will learn the best at. Research the style of curriculum and rotations and what fits your personality the best. I've been to VCOM and there isnt much around but it is an awesome school for sure. Good luck on your decision!:luck:

accept pcom ga so you can leave space for the rest of us that have our hopes on only vcom. vcom is a small school compared to pcom and you have to be ready to practice rural medicine because thats there mission and thats what they train you to practice. most vcom students are does that wan to work in underserved areas and this is were you will e posted to for your rotations. most times it will just be you and 1 doctor in the hospital. also vcom has a dress code no jeans its bussiness casual and they have a very strict attendance policy. you cannot miss any class unless you will be literarily spoken down to. so if you want to go to vcom you have to be ready for discipline. good luck in your decision.

vcom.

i applied to both and i got an interview at pcom-ga, but vcom was higher up on my list. i have a good friend who goes to pcom-ga and she had a lot of frustrations about the way the school was run, the admin there, etc. my best advice would be to talk to people who attend both schools directly. they'll be your best resource rather than people who just have hunches about both schools.

"Very strict attendance policy" is not entirely true, I miss a lot of class with no consequences (other than what I might miss in class, which is rewarding in itself, and the occassional quiz). Granted, they frown heavily upon it, but just last week we had a class with about 1/3 of the students in it (we had a huge anatomy exam the day before I believe:)). It's not nearly as bad as the school makes it out to be. Also, the dress code is very casual. As long as you don't wear jeans, shorts, t-shirts, or sweats, you'll be fine. The administration basically leaves it up to the students with how nice you want to dress. If things get too casual, we might get an email, that's pretty much it. Lastly, a LOT of students I am in class with aren't interested in going into rural medicine. The school pushes it a little, but they also realize and understand that it is not for everyone. Just to clarify some things for you, good luck with the decision.

PS - With regard to PCOM-GA, ATL is a very fun city and since it is a sister school of one of the more highly regarded osteopathic schools, you can't go wrong.

I am so sorry. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.