PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twocentnews

Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Let the discussion begin for PCOM, Class of 2015! This is one of my favorites of the schools I am applying to.

Good luck, fellow applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get the Secondary yet?

Nope, not yet. Awaiting as patiently as I can though!

Nope, not yet. Awaiting as patiently as I can though!

Me too... as long as it is the same as last years', I have this secondary completely finished lol, really just want to send it out

can someone please post secondary essay prompts?

much love

Secondary UP. Sorry, yes it was an email.
Please attach a brief statement indicating why you wish to attend Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and why you want to become an osteopathic physician.

What health care related experiences do you have?

Secondary UP
Please attach a brief statement indicating why you wish to attend Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and why you want to become an osteopathic physician.

Up WHERE? Did you get an email?

Just got this secondary via email this morning--

Does anyone know what they mean by the first LOR? Would a "committee letter" compiled by my premed advisor that contains 2 science faculty LORs and 1 non science LOR work here? Or does the advisor legitimately need to sit down and write a letter herself?

Just got this secondary via email this morning--

Does anyone know what they mean by the first LOR? Would a "committee letter" compiled by my premed advisor that contains 2 science faculty LORs and 1 non science LOR work here? Or does the advisor legitimately need to sit down and write a letter herself?

Im pretty sure that your advisor does sit down and write the letter herself when compiling a committee letter packet. At least mine did

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm...is anyone else still waiting on this one?

Hmmm...is anyone else still waiting on this one?

Yes, it sounds like their first round is going out today. We'll just have to wait for it. In the mean time, the prompt is posted so get to work on it. I'll be writing it tonight when I get home along with a re-app response based on last year's secondary just in case. I plan on mailing this one the day I get it.

Yes, it sounds like their first round is going out today. We'll just have to wait for it. In the mean time, the prompt is posted so get to work on it. I'll be writing it tonight when I get home along with a re-app response based on last year's secondary just in case. I plan on mailing this one the day I get it.

Agreed. Haha, I've had this thing written for like three weeks, ready to go. Just anxious to get it and send it out!

Secondary UP. Sorry, yes it was an email.

Thanks for posting the secondary, Atom bum. So in one essay we have to answer these 3 questions.... Does it have a limit on the word count?

wait.. is it one essay or two???:confused:

Got mineses!

Two lines for health care related experiences? Anyone else just attaching something on the back? Mine is more like 2 pages long...

Last edited:
For your file to be considered complete, a letter of recommendation must be sent from the premedical committee or premedical advisor of the undergraduate college that granted your Bachelor's degree. If that is not possible, a letter from the Dean or your academic advisor of the same institution may substitute.
Um... don't know how I missed this, but really? My university did not have a premedical committee, it was HUGE so how would I ever come to know our Dean, and I went to academic advising once and premedical advising twice (I kept getting bad advice so I stopped going). I don't even think I had a specific academic advisor assigned to me. Anyone know if they have waived this requirement for people in the past? I have the usual 2 science and 1 non-science letters that other schools say can be substituted for a premed committee letter, and then a DO letter and an MD letter. This is silly, IMO. Why would I want someone who doesn't know me (aka those people in the requirement listed above) to write me a letter of rec? lol

Got mineses!

Two lines for health care related experiences? Anyone else just attaching something on the back? Mine is more like 2 pages long...

I am (if I turn this in still, after seeing the LOR requirement above lol). I can't see why it wouldn't be okay, but if I were you I might shrink those two pages down to a one page resume :) Although, if it is already in resume format... wow, good for you with so many ECs!

Um... don't know how I missed this, but really? My university did not have a premedical committee, it was HUGE so how would I ever come to know our Dean, and I went to academic advising once and premedical advising twice (I kept getting bad advice so I stopped going). I don't even think I had a specific academic advisor assigned to me. Anyone know if they have waived this requirement for people in the past? I have the usual 2 science and 1 non-science letters that other schools say can be substituted for a premed committee letter, and then a DO letter and an MD letter. This is silly, IMO. Why would I want someone who doesn't know me (aka those people in the requirement listed above) to write me a letter of rec? lol

I had to send the most impersonal bull**** dean's letter last year to meet the requirement. I'm going to call them and ask about this too because UCLA doesn't even have a pre-medical advisor and doesn't have a premed committee. Its pretty ridiculous to require a letter from students whose school doesn't offer any of the above.

The dean's letter basically says "DbDan graduated from UCLA in March 2009 in good academic standing -The Dean"

On another note, how long is your guys "Brief" statement?

How can you tell if this secondary is for the Philly location or the Georgia location? Or is it the same app for both? It just says PCOM and doesn't specify!

How can you tell if this secondary is for the Philly location or the Georgia location? Or is it the same app for both? It just says PCOM and doesn't specify!

Keep reading the application....the Philly has a check box and right next to it it says "Click here if you have applied to our Georgia campus".

I would suppose if you have the Georgia one, it would say the same thing but vice versa.

Are you a Reapplicant?

I applied to GA campus last year and not to PA location. What answer I have to give here: yes or no

thanks

Are you a Reapplicant?

I applied to GA campus last year and not to PA location. What answer I have to give here: yes or no

thanks

Yeah, I am a reapplicant to med school in general. I wonder if I can still attach a statement... because I think I've done a great deal to improve since I applied two years ago and I think it shows my dedication.... whata you guys think?

I had to send the most impersonal bull**** dean's letter last year to meet the requirement. I'm going to call them and ask about this too because UCLA doesn't even have a pre-medical advisor and doesn't have a premed committee. Its pretty ridiculous to require a letter from students whose school doesn't offer any of the above.

The dean's letter basically says "DbDan graduated from UCLA in March 2009 in good academic standing -The Dean"

On another note, how long is your guys "Brief" statement?

Mine is one page, 1.5 spacing.

Ugh, sorry to post so many times haha.

For the "What healthcare related experiences do you have?" question, I am trying to decide whether to include my clinical research. I'm working on a project involving strand migration in prostate cancer seed implants. I work in the radiation oncology department of a nearby hospital and interact with the staff and physicians there, but I don't really have any patient contact outside of shadowing the doc in charge of the research project now and then. What do you guys think?

Yeah, I am a reapplicant to med school in general. I wonder if I can still attach a statement... because I think I've done a great deal to improve since I applied two years ago and I think it shows my dedication.... whata you guys think?
But I did not apply to PA campus last year. So should I put YES in PA campus even if I applied last year only for GA campus.

Ugh, sorry to post so many times haha.

For the "What healthcare related experiences do you have?" question, I am trying to decide whether to include my clinical research. I'm working on a project involving strand migration in prostate cancer seed implants. I work in the radiation oncology department of a nearby hospital and interact with the staff and physicians there, but I don't really have any patient contact outside of shadowing the doc in charge of the research project now and then. What do you guys think?

I think you should put it anyway honestly. It definitely could not hurt. I plan on including my research into synthesis of an anti-tumor drug

I think you should put it anyway honestly. It definitely could not hurt. I plan on including my research into synthesis of an anti-tumor drug

Great, thanks for the advice! I wanted to include it, I just wasn't sure if "healthcare-related" has to mean "patient contact" you know?

Also, for anyone wondering about the committee letter/Dean's letter/advisor letter requirement, they said they will accept a letter packet from my university's Reference Letter Service that includes all my prof/DO/MD letters (but no advisor/Dean's/committee letter) for that requirement. I don't see how that is a fulfillment of their requirement, but I'm not complaining :D

Great, thanks for the advice! I wanted to include it, I just wasn't sure if "healthcare-related" has to mean "patient contact" you know?

Also, for anyone wondering about the committee letter/Dean's letter/advisor letter requirement, they said they will accept a letter packet from my university's Reference Letter Service that includes all my prof/DO/MD letters (but no advisor/Dean's/committee letter) for that requirement. I don't see how that is a fulfillment of their requirement, but I'm not complaining :D

Yeah, if it said "clinical experiences", I wouldn't put it. But I'm stretching "health care" experiences to include curing cancer haha

Did you also apply to GA-PCOM? Wonder if that would work for them too... I guess I need to see if my university has a reference letter service as well then.

Got mineses!

Got mine today. Odd that it's paper!

What to answer to the folliwng question in PCOM application:

"Are you a Reapplicant?"

thanks

emno, I'd say No, but I'd also contact the school directly and ask first.

i still don't have a secondary from this school. :( is anyone in the same boat as me?

Yeah, if it said "clinical experiences", I wouldn't put it. But I'm stretching "health care" experiences to include curing cancer haha

Did you also apply to GA-PCOM? Wonder if that would work for them too... I guess I need to see if my university has a reference letter service as well then.

Nope, just the Philadelphia school.

hey guys,

so i'm deciding whether or not to apply to PCOM (either GA or PHL) this late in the cycle and i was wondering if you guys thought i had a good shot. here are my stats:
top 15 ugrad cGPA - 3.51, sGPA - 3.47
postbac: cGPA - 3.67 sGPA - 3.67

mcat -
2010: p7, v10, b12 = 29
2009: p12, v6, b11 = 29

would i stand a good chance this late in the cycle? i'm from georgia, with experiences in a private clinic (1 yr), research(1.5 yrs), and teaching(4+ years), with lots and lots of community service/social activities.

thanks in advance!

Go for it, I think it's definitely not too late to apply, lol :)

i still don't have a secondary from this school. :( is anyone in the same boat as me?

Same here, and I was submitted 7/8. Maybe I've been screened out?

I guess they do not screen out.
I am still waiting for PCOM-GA> i submitted PA and Ga on the same day.

I got mine yesterday, but some people were getting there's two days ago.

I was verified at AACOMAS and released on 6/17. It is likely you'll get yours tomorrow or the next day, as they probably go sift through the primary apps one by one in order of when they received them.

Just got PCOM this morning (finally) going to be mailing it out this afternoon

i got the secondary today but i emailed them about the LORs and they sound pretty adamant about having one of the three. I told them I have 2 DOs, 2 MDs, 2 sci, 2 nonsci, and 1 research LORs available. But this is the email I got in response:

Good Morning,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We will require a letter from either a dean, academic advisor, or pre-health committee from your undergraduate college that has or will grant your bachelor's degree. If you have been removed from your undergraduate for some time, you may have your dean send a letter written from your academic file, and in addition, send letters from faculty, employers, and physicians. We will not waive this required letter for any applicant, and it cannot be substituted. You may send letters from graduate school/post-bacc programs to supplement the application, but they will not meet our letter requirement.

If you attend a larger institution, you may contact your career services department and inquire about a letter service. If they indeed have one, you may send all of your letters to them. They will package the letters together, and it will resemble something like a pre-health committee packet. We will accept this as the letter requirement.

You may send letters via mail, Interfolio, or Virtual Evaluations once you have received the secondary application. Letters should be on university/company letterhead.

If sending by mail, please send letters to PCOM Office of Admissions 4170 City Avenue Philadelphia, Pa 19131.

Thank you,

Admissions

i got the secondary today but i emailed them about the LORs and they sound pretty adamant about having one of the three. I told them I have 2 DOs, 2 MDs, 2 sci, 2 nonsci, and 1 research LORs available. But this is the email I got in response:

Good Morning,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We will require a letter from either a dean, academic advisor, or pre-health committee from your undergraduate college that has or will grant your bachelor's degree. If you have been removed from your undergraduate for some time, you may have your dean send a letter written from your academic file, and in addition, send letters from faculty, employers, and physicians. We will not waive this required letter for any applicant, and it cannot be substituted. You may send letters from graduate school/post-bacc programs to supplement the application, but they will not meet our letter requirement.

If you attend a larger institution, you may contact your career services department and inquire about a letter service. If they indeed have one, you may send all of your letters to them. They will package the letters together, and it will resemble something like a pre-health committee packet. We will accept this as the letter requirement.

You may send letters via mail, Interfolio, or Virtual Evaluations once you have received the secondary application. Letters should be on university/company letterhead.

If sending by mail, please send letters to PCOM Office of Admissions 4170 City Avenue Philadelphia, Pa 19131.

Thank you,

Admissions

Yeah, I got a really similar email after I wrote them to explain the five letters that I had and asked if they would waive the requirement. This:

is why I emailed them a reply:

Me: Thank you for your response! So in other words, if I use my undergraduate college's Reference Letter Service through their Career Center to send a letter packet that contains all five of my letters, this will meet your requirement?
Them: Yes, we will gladly accept that letter packet.

To me that sounds like it's okay. Did I mis-interpret?

Yeah, I got a really similar email after I wrote them to explain the five letters that I had and asked if they would waive the requirement. This:

is why I emailed them a reply:

To me that sounds like it's okay. Did I mis-interpret?

Nope, thats what they told me as well. But since I'm not a student anymore I'd have to mail all of my letters to them, activate teh service and then have the letters sent for two schools. Just to activate the letter service as an alumni is $75, sending them is like 12 per school. I'll just use interfolio and pay 9 bucks for 2 generic dean's letters I suppose

Nope, thats what they told me as well. But since I'm not a student anymore I'd have to mail all of my letters to them, activate teh service and then have the letters sent for two schools. Just to activate the letter service as an alumni is $75, sending them is like 12 per school. I'll just use interfolio and pay 9 bucks for 2 generic dean's letters I suppose

Geez that is expensive! My school's letter service is $25 for 5 years so I still have a couple years left on it, and then $6 to send letters or a letter packet.

planning to work on secondary application this weekend.
have others already sent theirs?

So I am still not clear....
For sure they want an attached summary...I would guess One page for why you would like to enter PCOM
But do we add another attachment for activities or use the three lines on the PDF

So I am still not clear....
For sure they want an attached summary...I would guess One page for why you would like to enter PCOM
But do we add another attachment for activities or use the three lines on the PDF

I added a second page for the clinical activities, I believe some other people did too. I think three lines is completely inadequate, and also at the top of the application it states "Attach separate sheets if necessary." So I think it's okay.