PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discussion for the new year starts here!

Members don't see this ad.

so, if I have read the COM info book correctly, PCOM doesn't need any recommendation letter from faculty? Just one from advisor? and physician letter recommended? :confused:

And for the advisor, our uni has this option where we can request the graduation department to give us a "certification of degree" letter; so it's a letter with official letterhead, that states our name, degree earned, and date of convocation. Academic advisors, unless one knows them, do not provide letters in our uni - and I've only been to my career counsellor once. I never really felt the need to visit any academic advisor, as in our uni they only went to them if they had academic problems, like not being able to cope up with the courses, etc.

So, would the letter from graduation dept., fulfill this requirement of PCOM? My registrar office's lady said that's the most I could get in terms of dean's/academic advisor's letter.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
so, if I have read the COM info book correctly, PCOM doesn't need any recommendation letter from faculty? Just one from advisor? and physician letter recommended? :confused:

And for the advisor, our uni has this option where we can request the graduation department to give us a "certification of degree" letter; so it's a letter with official letterhead, that states our name, degree earned, and date of convocation. Academic advisors, unless one knows them, do not provide letters in our uni - and I've only been to my career counsellor once. I never really felt the need to visit any academic advisor, as in our uni they only went to them if they had academic problems, like not being able to cope up with the courses, etc.

So, would the letter from graduation dept., fulfill this requirement of PCOM? My registrar office's lady said that's the most I could get in terms of dean's/academic advisor's letter.

:confused:

The dean's certification I sent from UCI had the same basic information and was enough to fulfill that requirement. You should be fine

thanks!!:D

oh and so, no other LORs required?:rolleyes:

Pretty sure they want advisor/ committee (or 2 letters from professors is what they told me cuz I don't have a pre-med committee at my school). I would strongly recommend getting a DO letter if you want to be competitive. If not DO, have an MD for sure, even though its not "required".

Alright. Let's do this.

I go to a small private liberal arts university with an average class size of about 13. How big is the class size at PCOM as it has one of the bigger medical student body? And does it really make a difference?

I go to a small private liberal arts university with an average class size of about 13. How big is the class size at PCOM as it has one of the bigger medical student body? And does it really make a difference?

It looks like they admit a class of ~250, which is on the larger size, but it is not the largest class size of all the D.O. schools. I went to a small private liberal arts college, too, so I can appreciate your concern with class size. As to whether it makes a difference or not, I guess we'd have to have somebody a little more experienced answer that one...

is anyone applying for a second time? I was just wondering how they were going about rewriting their personal statement. Any advice will be welcomed, thank you.

Hey on the osteopathic college information book it says PCOM requires 3 credits English literature and 3 credit English composition course. Do anyone know if they are willing to ease off this requirement if instead you take 6 credits of English Composition?

Hey on the osteopathic college information book it says PCOM requires 3 credits English literature and 3 credit English composition course. Do anyone know if they are willing to ease off this requirement if instead you take 6 credits of English Composition?

If you are referring to the basic English 1 and 2 courses that all pre-meds take I would imagine you will be fine... I haven't heard anybody else bring up any problems with the English pre-reqs

I am applying and as far as the dean's letter goes, what are the specifics to this letter? Are they looking for the typical answers that you didn't get into any disciplinary trouble and what not?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey fellow PCOM applicants~

is anyone applying for a second time? I was just wondering how they were going about rewriting their personal statement. Any advice will be welcomed, thank you.

Not a re-applicant, but I have heard that is best to redo your personal statement.

Last edited:
when do secondaries usually come in for DO programs? My MD ones are rolling but no DO yet.

when do secondaries usually come in for DO programs? My MD ones are rolling but no DO yet.

CCOM came out today, but I'd like this one to come out soon too! :love:

It doesn't, really. You find people you like, you tend to hand out in smaller groups. But you can also get to know more people if you want. Profs tend to be accessible, and, at least during anatomy lab, there are a ton of profs roaming around, each handling about 5-6 tables so if you have any questions they're right there to answer them. And lecture's lecture, if you want to ask questions you can.

I am applying and as far as the dean's letter goes, what are the specifics to this letter? Are they looking for the typical answers that you didn't get into any disciplinary trouble and what not?

Just something very basic affirming that you graduated, didn't have any major problems, etc. If you know your dean and they can write a kickass letter, that's awesome, but if you don't, a very basic letter works.

Hello all,

I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck in applying this year. I came across this and saw questions about the LOR's. Just so you know, while a D.O. LOR is not "required" you should take this as actually an unwritten "required." The admissions committee wants to see that you have spent time with a D.O. and understand what the osteopathic philosophy encompasses. I don't know what the application actually says anymore, but don't be afraid to send 2-3 physician LOR's in with your application. Just don't go overboard and make sure they will tell the committee something about you. I'll check this topic over the next couple of weeks to see if you have anymore questions about PCOM and its admissions. I just graduated this year from PCOM. During my time there I was an admissions ambassador and appointed to the admissions interview committee. So who knows, maybe I'll see one of you across the table this year!

Once again, good luck and stay confident!

I will also be applying this cycle...it's my number one school so I hope to have some luck.
MCAT a week from today!

Good luck to all of you.

I'm having difficulty figuring out where LORs go for each school. Does anyone have any concrete information for each school?

Has anyone heard anything from PCOM yet? I was submitted to AACOMAS 6/1 and they released my app 6/23, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Good luck, all!

Has anyone heard anything from PCOM yet? I was submitted to AACOMAS 6/1 and they released my app 6/23, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Good luck, all!

I haven't heard anything either, and my submission/release info is the same as yours.

I haven't heard anything either, and my submission/release info is the same as yours.

I spoke with the admissions office on the phone today and they said that they will be releasing their secondary applications at the beginning of August.

I spoke with the admissions office on the phone today and they said that they will be releasing their secondary applications at the beginning of August.

That's good to know.
Thanks for updating us on that!
:]

They also said that you can send your LOR's now before even getting your secondary because it will speed up the reviewing process when you do send it in. By the way, did anyone else here take the June 16 MCAT?

Hi, anyone know the minimum MCAT for acceptance here. My primary is sent, just received my score, it's:scared: not great....GPA OK though 3.58

Hi, anyone know the minimum MCAT for acceptance here. My primary is sent, just received my score, it's:scared: not great....GPA OK though 3.58

My friend was given an interview with a 24- 8ps, 7 vr, and 9 bs. However, his decision letter said they were 'waiting on his Jun xx MCAT score' even though he had never planned to retake. Anecdotally, and perhaps it is true, but get at least 8 on every section.

Is this secondary coming out soon? Getting anxious!

Got this email 5 minutes ago:

"On behalf of the Admissions team, I would like to thank you for your interest in osteopathic medicine and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.

We are in receipt of your AACOMAS application for the DO Class of 2016. Please note we are currently in the processing of updating both the Philadelphia and Georgia Campus - PCOM supplementals. Once they are finalized, you will automatically receive the appropriate supplemental via email. If you applied to both Philadelphia and Georgia Campus, you will receive a supplemental for each campus.

We expect to finalize everything in the near future and get the supplementals to you no later than August 12, 2011."

Got this email 5 minutes ago:

"On behalf of the Admissions team, I would like to thank you for your interest in osteopathic medicine and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.

We are in receipt of your AACOMAS application for the DO Class of 2016. Please note we are currently in the processing of updating both the Philadelphia and Georgia Campus - PCOM supplementals. Once they are finalized, you will automatically receive the appropriate supplemental via email. If you applied to both Philadelphia and Georgia Campus, you will receive a supplemental for each campus.

We expect to finalize everything in the near future and get the supplementals to you no later than August 12, 2011."

Same here

They also said that you can send your LOR's now before even getting your secondary because it will speed up the reviewing process when you do send it in. By the way, did anyone else here take the June 16 MCAT?

Yup i took the June 16th - 2pm exam.
(9 PS,10 VS,9 BS) = 28O
It was my 2nd time. took one in Apr. : (9 PS,5 VS ,8 BS) = 22M

Does anyone have the address where we send our LOR's to? I didn't know we could send them early so I'd like to, but can't seem to find it on their website...

Does anyone have the address where we send our LOR's to? I didn't know we could send them early so I'd like to, but can't seem to find it on their website...

I'm having difficulty figuring out where LORs go for each school. Does anyone have any concrete information for each school?

If you're using interfolio, they show up as an electronic transfer.

is the secondary out? anyone wants to share?

is the secondary out? anyone wants to share?

Haven't seen the secondary, but got an e-mail from them July 14th that said, "Please note we are currently in the processing of updating both the Philadelphia and Georgia Campus - PCOM supplementals... We expect to finalize everything in the near future and get the supplementals to you no later than August 12, 2011."

So hopefully soon!

Hey guys, so I had a questions in regards to PCOM's regional favoring and how states are represented in the student population ( Since this isn't release openly on PCOM's site). My question pertains to, if Maryland residents are favored since they are in the region and if we have a decent population at PCOM.

Getting awfully close to that August 12th deadline...

Hey guys, so I had a questions in regards to PCOM's regional favoring and how states are represented in the student population ( Since this isn't release openly on PCOM's site). My question pertains to, if Maryland residents are favored since they are in the region and if we have a decent population at PCOM.

im going through orientation right now and i believe they said the other day around 65% of the class were pa residents, but 40 states are represented in the class. so i wouldnt say theres "favoring" but theres a lot of pa applicants overall, and it is an osteopathic philosophy to help the underserved and im sure they want people to eventually practice in the area. other basic stats, We had 6700 applicants, 397 acceptances, and 270 matriculants.

Just received an email containing the following a few minutes ago:

On behalf of the Admissions team, I would like to thank you for your interest in osteopathic medicine and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.

We are in receipt of your AACOMAS application for the entering fall, 2012 DO class. Please note we are currently in the processing of updating both the Philadelphia and Georgia Campus - PCOM supplementals. Once they are finalized, you will automatically receive the appropriate supplemental via email. If you applied to both Philadelphia and Georgia Campus, you will receive a supplemental for each campus.

We expect to finalize everything in the near future and get the supplementals to you no later than August 15, 2011.

On behalf of the Admissions team, I would like to thank you for your interest in osteopathic medicine and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.

We are in receipt of your AACOMAS application for the entering fall, 2012 DO class. Please note we are currently in the processing of updating both the Philadelphia and Georgia Campus - PCOM supplementals. Once they are finalized, you will automatically receive the appropriate supplemental via email. If you applied to both Philadelphia and Georgia Campus, you will receive a supplemental for each campus.

We expect to finalize everything in the near future and get the supplementals to you no later than August 15, 2011.

I got that same e-mail quite a while ago, but the date was Aug 12, so things must be going slower than expected if they've pushed it back to Aug 15... Here's hoping we'll hear asap.

Guys is this for the class of 2012 ??
Sorry for being dumb but When was/is the deadline of submitting the applications? Can I still submit one??
Sorry for asking such a silly question .... but please I need an answer....

I got that same e-mail quite a while ago, but the date was Aug 12, so things must be going slower than expected if they've pushed it back to Aug 15... Here's hoping we'll hear asap.

My best guess is that they will release some by the 12th but they might not want to overload their system so perhaps giving some applicants the 15th as a deadline gives them a chance to spread out giving their secondaries.

I forgot to mention that the email subject had an odd number in it:

Subject: AACOMAS application - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (#insert number here)

Does anyone have any idea what this number means?

Tomorrow's the big day!! (hopefully...)

My best guess is that they will release some by the 12th but they might not want to overload their system so perhaps giving some applicants the 15th as a deadline gives them a chance to spread out giving their secondaries.

I hope you're right!

Hopefully tomorrow is the big day!! :)

Today's the big day! Come on PCOM!