PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Never got a complete email. They did cash my check however :laugh: I am sure they are slammed with the hurricane etc, I'll check up on my app in a week or two.

Members don't see this ad.

haha same with me. They cashed my check and never sent me a complete email =[

Hope they send one soon! So anxious!

To everyone who received an interview.

Did you receive a "complete" email from PCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
i called to see if the file i sent was compatible with their system. they lady seemed slightly irritated bc they have "like a thousand" applications to filter through, which i told her i understood. i even had my best manners on :D. well, i ended up just sending in a hard copy too.

PS. they want us to wait at least 10 days before checking to see if they received it.

I really hope the rest of the faculty isn't like this.

Someone asked about the ratio of interviews to acceptances. I believe the class this year is around 269 and they interviewed over 500 applicants . Around 5700 people applied last year... and there are quite a few from areas outside of this region.

Is anybody else having trouble with the secondary essay because of the word limit? It is my final secondary but seems to be the toughest one yet! ugh...

Never got a complete email. They did cash my check however :laugh: I am sure they are slammed with the hurricane etc, I'll check up on my app in a week or two.

My cashed check was posted over the weekend!

I know quite a few people without the 8 minimum. Don't let that stop you from applying . its all about how well you capture their attention in your essays.. your activities ..volunteer work extra .. and your interview. good luck :)

Just letting you know, PCOM is notorious for wanting an 8 minimum on every section.

Also, on interview day:

P-C-O-M not PCOM

That isn't the case for a lot of people as I know many with sub 8 scores that got in

Just letting you know, PCOM is notorious for wanting an 8 minimum on every section.

Also, on interview day:

P-C-O-M not PCOM

If they wanted an 8 minimum on every section, they wouldn't have offered an interview. They don't waste time interviewing heads they wont accept. With over 5,000 applicants, I'm sure they can fill their entire class with people who scored no less than 10 on every section

Members don't see this ad :)
If they wanted an 8 minimum on every section, they wouldn't have offered an interview. They don't waste time interviewing heads they wont accept. With over 5,000 applicants, I'm sure they can fill their entire class with people who scored no less than 10 on every section

I know four people granted interviews who had sections less than 8--they had their interviews and their 'decision' letters stated they would wait to make a decision until another MCAT was taken.

I know four people granted interviews who had sections less than 8--they had their interviews and their 'decision' letters stated they would wait to make a decision until another MCAT was taken.

Seems to me that the school should inform applicants, prior to having the person invest in the interviewing process, that another MCAT would be necessary. :thumbdown:

Last edited:
I just contacted PCOM admission and they said the IT manager was out of office last week and everyone should get their "complete" email soon.

Good luck to everyone!

I just contacted PCOM admission and they said the IT manager was out of office last week and everyone should get their "complete" email soon.

Good luck to everyone!

Thats great news! Thanks for the initiative and letting us know!

My friend is applying to PCOM this year and she got a 23 on her MCAT (9 BS, 8 PS, 6 VR). Otherwise she has a stellar application and would crush an interview. Is it worth it for her to apply now and perhaps take the January MCAT or should she be waiting a year and taking the MCAT again next summer. Thanks!

You guys are going to love PCOM. I really miss it and feel that it gave me a great education.

For those of you who received interview invites: did they come in e-mail or mail? Thanks!

Admissions does stress the 8s. And i've heard of a good amount of applicants that have been offered interviews with less than an 8 in a section and their letter said to retake...(but this was close to the end of the application season) HOWEVER, I had a 7 in PS, received an interview, and they did not even ask me about my MCAT in my interview (I had a 24), and I received an acceptance a week later. I interviewed in November, so i'm not sure if that had any bearing on the decision.

Still no complete email =[

I'm worried about my application because in my AACOMAS, I put I had no felony/misdemeanor but I put I had one traffic accident misdemeanor in the PCOM secondary apps. Do you think that would affect my application?

Still no complete email =[

I'm worried about my application because in my AACOMAS, I put I had no felony/misdemeanor but I put I had one traffic accident misdemeanor in the PCOM secondary apps. Do you think that would affect my application?
definitely not...they know people make mistakes and unless it was a DUI or something rly major it usually isnt bad...stupid traffic misdemeanors...like seriously in some states any speeding ticket is a misdemeanor lol

I know some people have been given interviews, but has anyone actually received a "complete" email?

Can't to start seeing you interviewees rolling in! You'll absolutely love this school. (I say this 3 days post our first exam, too)
Don't get discouraged if it takes them forever to reply though. Admissions seems to be pretty unpredictable. :confused:

Word of warning though, CALL to make sure your file is complete if you haven't heard anything. Mine was sitting there 'incomplete' because they didn't notice one of the letters of recommendations in my package (the only required one).
Granted, I had the worst luck with my application materials getting lost in general, but you never know.

Good luck! :luck:

Hi everyone, I received the complete email with access information to the status site on Friday night. Just wanted to let you know that they are starting to send them out. I would guess with the long weekend more will come out this week. Good luck, hope to see you all in PA. PCOM is definitely at the top of my list. Maybe we'll get some more interview invites this week!

FYI, sent in secondary by email 8/17 and letters were already sent by my advising office ahead of that.

I will definitely call them tomorrow to find out about my application. This is my number 1 school and I really want to go here.

I know some people have been given interviews, but has anyone actually received a "complete" email?

i didn't. i had sent in my secondary and check by mail and then a week later i received an email for an interview.

Called to see if my file was complete, all I was told is that it may take 15 days to process and get an email with a log-in to check my status.

just got a complete email today, but they had received my supplementary app back on 8/19

I just now received the complete email also.

Did anyone have information show up under "transcripts" on the status site even though no transcripts were sent to the school? Strange.

Mine either. I called and got it cleared up. I'm totally complete now.

Good call...I'm going to have to call them and get it straightened out too b/c mine is missing the LOR as well. Did anyone's status correctly show them they have the LOR?

Good call...I'm going to have to call them and get it straightened out too b/c mine is missing the LOR as well. Did anyone's status correctly show them they have the LOR?

Mine did not so I called and straightened it out :)

I called about the letter requirement as well and the woman said she found my letters and put them into my file. She also said that my application is complete now but my status does not reflect that. Has anyone's status changed after they called them?

I called about the letter requirement as well and the woman said she found my letters and put them into my file. She also said that my application is complete now but my status does not reflect that. Has anyone's status changed after they called them?

When I called the lady said it'd take 24 hrs to reflect the change....I feel bad for the lady she probably got a bunch of calls today about the letters!
edit: just checked and they marked my letter of rec and added under additional letters of rec my DO physician letter

Last edited:
When I called the lady said it'd take 24 hrs to reflect the change....I feel bad for the lady she probably got a bunch of calls today about the letters!
edit: just checked and they marked my letter of rec and added under additional letters of rec my DO physician letter

Same exact thing with me. When I talked to the lady on the phone yesterday, she said that the office is still backed up from the 3 day weekend but once your application is complete that they usually review it almost right away so lets all keep our fingers crossed!

That poor woman...when i called she said they had been having issues downloading letters sent electronically...just a heads up to anyone electronically sending their letters (read: everyone)

That poor woman...when i called she said they had been having issues downloading letters sent electronically...just a heads up to anyone electronically sending their letters (read: everyone)
seriously...she probably get like a few hundred calls from applicants about the letters yesterday

So my virtualEvals email address is different than the one i'm using for this cycle; that's why it didn't get uploaded. Apparently it's Interfolio they're having the technical difficulties with.

seriously...she probably get like a few hundred calls from applicants about the letters yesterday

I know! I feel bad since I actually called twice yesterday. Once before I received the email, then once again after to fix something with the secondary fee (I was fine w/ the letters). She was friendly despite probably having to take a zillion calls about the same stuff.

I know! I feel bad since I actually called twice yesterday. Once before I received the email, then once again after to fix something with the secondary fee (I was fine w/ the letters). She was friendly despite probably having to take a zillion calls about the same stuff.

haha I called twice yesterday, too, to check on the status of my app before I received the email. But I think it was two different people that answered because the first lady wasn't as friendly.

Called PCOM today to check on the status of my application. They said it usually takes 10 business days to send a confirmation email after receipt of your packet. The woman said lately it's been taking about 15 business days (3 weeks), so if you mailed your application, it will probably take close to a month to get the confirmation email.

Just thought I'd share.

got a complete email this evening. mailed in my secondary 8/23. all other information received.

to those of you who recently got completed emails, have any of you been offered an interview?

and to those offered interviews, about how much time was there between the complete email and interview email?

just wondering how the timeline/process for offering interviews works.

thank you!

got a complete email this evening. mailed in my secondary 8/23. all other information received.

to those of you who recently got completed emails, have any of you been offered an interview?

and to those offered interviews, about how much time was there between the complete email and interview email?

just wondering how the timeline/process for offering interviews works.

thank you!

I mailed my secondary in around august 18th or so and was offered an interview the following week. I received the complete email yesterday. I'm not sure what is going on there but it sounds like their system is a bit behind.

For the few people that already have received interview invites, when do you interview?

So I got a 7 on my MCAT verbal section. I already sent my primary to PCOM. I was wondering if its worth it to send in a secondary? I've heard from multiple people on SDN that PCOM doesn't accept people with MCAT section scores lower than 8, and don't want to send a secondary if I will just be wasting my money..