PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply!

If I apply now but note that I am going to re-take my MCAT in January, will they wait to make a decision? If its possible, do you think they would be ok with the 20 that I already have? I'm sort of caught in a pickle where I can apply somewhat early (right now) with my 20 MCAT or have them wait til very late in the cycle for my January score (which WILL be higher, but then again you never know).

I would think taking the January MCAT would give you little to no room for error (since they wouldn't get the score until March). So definitely apply now

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Out of state, complete early September, still haven't heard anything from them :(
3.6/3.5 and 28

Poop.

Out of state, complete early September, still haven't heard anything from them :(
3.6/3.5 and 28

Poop.
I'm in-state. cGPA3.35, sGPA3.17, 24Q, completed on 9/19 and still nothing =[ I just found out that theres something wrong with my aacomas coursework stuff... It says freshman throughout my courses when they should be soph, JR, and SR. Hope that didn't affect/delay their decision. So stressed!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.4 cgpa, 23O MCAT (10 B, 7 P, 6 V ) and am OOS. I have tons of extracurriculars and research experience. Do I have a shot at PCOM this year?

How strict is the 8's for MCAT policy?

I have a 24O: 10PS, 9VR, 5BS

How strict is the 8's for MCAT policy?

I have a 24O: 10PS, 9VR, 5BS

Actually, the 5 is pretty concerning especially since its in Biological Sciences section.

How is your science GPA?

Actually, the 5 is pretty concerning especially since its in Biological Sciences section.

How is your science GPA?

GPA is okay
Science: 3.20
Cum: 3.35

I'm a Bio major so I'm expecting the 5 to raise flags. This was my strongest section but somehow ended up with what I got.

Other stats just to throw it out there:
Bio Major with Honors
LOR's: PreMed committee, 2 MD's (shadowing), 1 DO (shadowing), 1 Science, 1 Non-Science, 1 Research Advisor
Work: Pharm. technician, then at a dialysis center, then wireless store associate
Volunteer: EMS (non-EMT), church, school cultural group
Research: cortisol studies for 1.5 years with thesis

GPA is okay
Science: 3.20
Cum: 3.35

I'm a Bio major so I'm expecting the 5 to raise flags. This was my strongest section but somehow ended up with what I got.

Other stats just to throw it out there:
Bio Major with Honors
LOR's: PreMed committee, 2 MD's (shadowing), 1 DO (shadowing), 1 Science, 1 Non-Science, 1 Research Advisor
Work: Pharm. technician, then at a dialysis center, then wireless store associate
Volunteer: EMS (non-EMT), church, school cultural group
Research: cortisol studies for 1.5 years with thesis

I would still go ahead and apply but I just want you to know that statistically you're not a strong candidate at all.

However, the cortisol studies research plus your work/volunteer experiences and a strong personal statement with strong secondary essays might give you a shot at an interview.

So PCOM received my supplemental in late September. GPA: 3.47/3.35 MCAT:31Q
What are my chances of being given an interview. I'm OOS.

So PCOM received my supplemental in late September. GPA: 3.47/3.35 MCAT:31Q
What are my chances of being given an interview. I'm OOS.

I think your chances are really good with a 31 MCAT, but PCOM also values LOR's, extra curricular activities, and personal statement.

I would still go ahead and apply but I just want you to know that statistically you're not a strong candidate at all.

However, the cortisol studies research plus your work/volunteer experiences and a strong personal statement with strong secondary essays might give you a shot at an interview.

Yeah I understand my chances are low. I plan to retake the MCAT in Jan 2012 but I'll submit now so at least everything is in and just waiting for my new MCAT later on.

Interviewed yesterday....Great experience overall and the campus uses space very efficiently. Definitely one of my top choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed yesterday....Great experience overall and the campus uses space very efficiently. Definitely one of my top choices.

I like the school as well. Good luck!

Does anyone know how much the secondary essay may influence PCOM's decision to interview you?

My stats: cGPA 3.35, sGPA 3.17, 24Q

I volunteered at a hospital for two years, shadowed a PA and a trauma surgeon. I plan on shadowing a DO around my house. I got my LORs from my college, one from a PCOM student and one from an MD that I work with. I work at a hospital close to a year now. Finally, I volunteered at Seasons Hospice.

I tried to apply early but they misplaced my supplemental and aacomas made a mistake with my classes; they said I took all my courses in my FR year and nothing in my other 3 years. I got it corrected last week so I should be back on track now. What are my chances around this time of the interview season?

Does anybody know how PCOM considers an applicant who has taken the MCAT multiple times. I took the MCAT 7-2010 and got VR 7, PS 9, BS 9 WS M. I re-took the MCAT 7-2011 and got VR 4, PS 10 BS 11 WS M. I have signed up to take it again in Jan 2011, but do you think I stand a chance at PCOM for this application cycle. I have a 3.5 overall GPA with a 3.6 science GPA. I have hundreds of hours of shadowing and working as a Scribe in the ER (including time with a DO). I also have a great deal of research and community service experiences. I have a LOR from a DO.

Does anyone know how much the secondary essay may influence PCOM's decision to interview you?

My stats: cGPA 3.35, sGPA 3.17, 24Q

I volunteered at a hospital for two years, shadowed a PA and a trauma surgeon. I plan on shadowing a DO around my house. I got my LORs from my college, one from a PCOM student and one from an MD that I work with. I work at a hospital close to a year now. Finally, I volunteered at Seasons Hospice.

I tried to apply early but they misplaced my supplemental and aacomas made a mistake with my classes; they said I took all my courses in my FR year and nothing in my other 3 years. I got it corrected last week so I should be back on track now. What are my chances around this time of the interview season?
I think you'll get an interview, it might be late in the season though. Most of our "kind" get interviews.

I think you'll get an interview, it might be late in the season though. Most of our "kind" get interviews.
Thanks =] I just really want an interview from pcom and its freaking me out that I haven't gotten one yet. Its good to hear some good news.. lol

How long does it normally take for PCOM to update MCAT scores? I had a new MCAT score submitted on Sept 7, but had secondary in before that. I feel like I've called PCOM asking about it too much. All they ever say is to check online.

How long does it normally take for PCOM to update MCAT scores? I had a new MCAT score submitted on Sept 7, but had secondary in before that. I feel like I've called PCOM asking about it too much. All they ever say is to check online.

My MCAT scores were submitted then as well, I think 9/9. My online summary says it received my new score on 9/13. hope this helps.

My MCAT scores were submitted then as well, I think 9/9. My online summary says it received my new score on 9/13. hope this helps.

Weird, the latest MCAT scores posted for mine are mine older scores. I guess I need to make another call since its been over a month since I've submitted the new scores.

Does anybody know how PCOM considers an applicant who has taken the MCAT multiple times. I took the MCAT 7-2010 and got VR 7, PS 9, BS 9 WS M. I re-took the MCAT 7-2011 and got VR 4, PS 10 BS 11 WS M. I have signed up to take it again in Jan 2011, but do you think I stand a chance at PCOM for this application cycle. I have a 3.5 overall GPA with a 3.6 science GPA. I have hundreds of hours of shadowing and working as a Scribe in the ER (including time with a DO). I also have a great deal of research and community service experiences. I have a LOR from a DO.

I took the MCAT three times too and i got accepted ( my highest was a 28). during the interview they did ask me about and i just told them i wasn't happy with my scores and knew i could do better and the steps i took in between each test date to try and get a better score. i think if you just have a good explanation for taking it they won't mind

I wrote them with a similar question. This was their response:

"The letter required is a letter from the institution stating you were a student in good standing and there were no disciplinary actions against you while a student. The school will be able to supply this for you."

Hope this helps!

Best of luck.

I've been to four different colleges. En route to my bachelor's degree years ago, I went to three, getting my degree from the third. I just did my post-bac for the eight prereqs, splitting those over three academic institutions. I ended up sending in like 7 transcripts covering 226 credits, no joke. What should I do in a situation like this? Do they want it from the institution I earned my bachelor's? I'm not an active student there in good standing anymore, but I was hardly a student at the place I completed my post-bac (only part-time). Ugh.

Will they really not take me without a letter? I certified on the primary application that I'm in good standing and I've never had any institutional action taken against me -- they can look all they want, I'm clean. I don't want my app delayed. :(

I have four letters total sent from Interfolio -- two from profs who taught me science prereqs, one from a non-science professor at my last school, and one at a DO. No dean's letter, however, because I finished the last of my pre-reqs during this past summer, so I'm not enrolled in school right now. I explain all of it in my personal statement. Do you think they'll waive the dean's letter? I should really just call them and ask.

I've been to four different colleges.

Honestly, I have no idea, but I think it'd be best to call over to the office. They'll tell you exactly what to do.

Just in case you don't have the number: 215.871.6700

Good luck!

Last edited:
Withdrawing my interview invite soon. Hope it goes to someone that wants it! :luck:

Honestly, I have no idea, but I think it'd be best to call over to the office. They'll tell you exactly what to do.

Just in case you don't have the number: 215.871.6700

Good luck!

Thanks! Congrats on the acceptance (two years ago)! Do you know if PCOM-Philly will consider a few people from neighboring states like NY (where I am from)? I'm thinking NYCOM is prob still my best bet because they take 80% but I also like what I'm hearing/reading about PCOM. I should be complete there in approx 2 weeks, hopefully not too late!

non-trad, 3.34cGPA, 3.66science, 3.73post-bac(8 pre-reqs), good letters of rec, good personal statement. I have a sibling who has lived in Philly for a decade and I wish there was a way to make my ties to the state known in the secondary. :p

Anybody have an update on what the time line is looking like once the secondary is submitted?

Love some input from both those still waiting and those already accepted.

I would also love an update on the interview invite timeline. I'm starting to get anxious because I am getting interview invites from other schools and I don't want to waste deposit money on a second choice school when PCOM is my clear favorite :confused:. A couple of questions:

1) Did those of you that got interviews send PCOM a letter of interest? I'm from Utah and I have been to Philly before and loved it, but I figured this was a big, busy school that didn't want me to waste their time with a letter of interest that they didn't explicitly ask for. My application was "complete" on 9/23 (got the email on 10/6), should I bother to write one now?

2) What are my chances: BS in Biomedical Engineering, 27 MCAT (10ps, 7vr, 10bs), 3.5 sGPA, 3.6 cGPA. Good volunteer and EC's, fantastic research (been published several times and presented at big conferences).

Thanks!!

Thanks! Congrats on the acceptance (two years ago)! Do you know if PCOM-Philly will consider a few people from neighboring states like NY (where I am from)? I'm thinking NYCOM is prob still my best bet because they take 80% but I also like what I'm hearing/reading about PCOM. I should be complete there in approx 2 weeks, hopefully not too late!

non-trad, 3.34cGPA, 3.66science, 3.73post-bac(8 pre-reqs), good letters of rec, good personal statement. I have a sibling who has lived in Philly for a decade and I wish there was a way to make my ties to the state known in the secondary. :p

I'm from Rochester, NY. :) and there are many other students from the NY area. I also got into NYCOM (interviews were like two days apart). My stats were 3.33 sGPA, 3.54 cGPA, w/ a 24 MCAT if that helps. I actually forgot to write in my secondary about my ties to the area (family, had done an internship), that I wanted to stay in the area, so I ended up sending in a second letter of interest after I had sent in my secondary. I basically said that I loved Philadelphia because of my experiences with the city, the community, and that it meant more to me than the next four years of my life, that I wanted to practice in the area, that I could see my self raising a family. I got an interview invite the day after my receipt said they received the letter (who knows if that is a coincidence), but they definitely look for students that want to stay in the area. (they told me during my interview), so try to intertwine your reasoning for the area as much as the school in the secondary as much as possible...and if it's not possible, you could always do what I did :)

Good luck! Your application sounds strong so i'm sure you'll be fine. Just try to get it in ASAP, and if you know a student or an alumni from here, ask them to write you a recommendation.

I'm from Rochester, NY. :) and there are many other students from the NY area. I also got into NYCOM (interviews were like two days apart). My stats were 3.33 sGPA, 3.54 cGPA, w/ a 24 MCAT if that helps. I actually forgot to write in my secondary about my ties to the area (family, had done an internship), that I wanted to stay in the area, so I ended up sending in a second letter of interest after I had sent in my secondary. I basically said that I loved Philadelphia because of my experiences with the city, the community, and that it meant more to me than the next four years of my life, that I wanted to practice in the area, that I could see my self raising a family. I got an interview invite the day after my receipt said they received the letter (who knows if that is a coincidence), but they definitely look for students that want to stay in the area. (they told me during my interview), so try to intertwine your reasoning for the area as much as the school in the secondary as much as possible...and if it's not possible, you could always do what I did :)

Good luck! Your application sounds strong so i'm sure you'll be fine. Just try to get it in ASAP, and if you know a student or an alumni from here, ask them to write you a recommendation.

Thanks so much for the response! I know Rochester (Rochest-ah), because I am actually from Syracuse myself, so only 4 hours from Philly. :) I forgot to mention my MCAT in the previous post -- I took it in September and it is 26R (9P, 9V, 8B).

I would like to mention my ties to Philly (as I mentioned, my sister went to college there and has lived there continuously since 2003, and I also have cousins in Allentown) somewhere in the secondary, but there doesn't appear to be a spot to do it. I saw the secondary prompt posted earlier in the thread and it was the following:

" Noting the mission and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO (250 words maximum)."

I don't see a place for me to work in my connections to Philadelphia. Are there other questions/prompts on the secondary as well? I don't imagine you'd know about the secondary for this year because you're already enrolled, but I would love to get the secondary in as soon as I'm verified (prob in the next couple of weeks), and so I'd like to pre-write most of them. Anyone who is applying this year can probably clarify if there are additional prompts for this year's secondary.

Noting the mission and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO.

Does anyone know if this is the only question on the secondary this year or are there other ones as well? Looking at last year's thread, there was a question about why PCOM/why DO as well. Is there a similar question on this year's PCOM secondary or is the quoted question above the only secondary question? Thanks.

Does anyone know if this is the only question on the secondary this year or are there other ones as well? Looking at last year's thread, there was a question about why PCOM/why DO as well. Is there a similar question on this year's PCOM secondary or is the quoted question above the only secondary question? Thanks.

There is only one secondary essay and its the quoted section. There was no why PCOM/why DO question.

There is only one secondary essay and its the quoted section. There was no why PCOM/why DO question.

Thanks for the response! Hmm, that is unfortunate. Do you think they'd mind if I threw in a sentence about my ties to Philadelphia or would that be out of place?

Thanks for the response! Hmm, that is unfortunate. Do you think they'd mind if I threw in a sentence about my ties to Philadelphia or would that be out of place?

I was able to put in a sentence without messing with the flow so I don't see why not.

Thanks so much for the response! I know Rochester (Rochest-ah), because I am actually from Syracuse myself, so only 4 hours from Philly. :) I forgot to mention my MCAT in the previous post -- I took it in September and it is 26R (9P, 9V, 8B).

I would like to mention my ties to Philly (as I mentioned, my sister went to college there and has lived there continuously since 2003, and I also have cousins in Allentown) somewhere in the secondary, but there doesn't appear to be a spot to do it. I saw the secondary prompt posted earlier in the thread and it was the following:

I don't think PCOM PA has a HUGE in state preference. It just so happens that more people in the area are more likely to apply, therefore there are going to be more instate people. I don't think you should have anything to worry about as far as them not accepting you solely based on where you're from because there are people in my class from a lot of different states other than PA and NJ.

so i submitted my secondary last week and got the email with the online account information today to check the status of my application

i was wondering if i had a semi-decent chance or no chance at all for getting an interview/potential acceptance to PCOM. how long does the process take from them receiving your supplementary materials?

i lived in pittsburgh for a long time, moved during highschool and would love to go back to PA.. i think i have okay extra curriculars, but im worried about my gpa and mcat score

cumm GPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.37
MCAT: 26P (7V 10B 9P)

i have a LOR from an alumni of PCOM and i volunteer at an osteopathic hospital.. currently im working on my masters and also working in a lab. i also have a primary authorship publication that was published in 2010

i would really appreciate any advice from anyone about this.. and also am i late in the application process? ive met people that have already had their interviews and people that are just getting their primary verified

so i submitted my secondary last week and got the email with the online account information today to check the status of my application

i was wondering if i had a semi-decent chance or no chance at all for getting an interview/potential acceptance to PCOM. how long does the process take from them receiving your supplementary materials?

i lived in pittsburgh for a long time, moved during highschool and would love to go back to PA.. i think i have okay extra curriculars, but im worried about my gpa and mcat score

cumm GPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.37
MCAT: 26P (7V 10B 9P)

i have a LOR from an alumni of PCOM and i volunteer at an osteopathic hospital.. currently im working on my masters and also working in a lab. i also have a primary authorship publication that was published in 2010

i would really appreciate any advice from anyone about this.. and also am i late in the application process? ive met people that have already had their interviews and people that are just getting their primary verified

you're application sounds identical to mine lol. Like almost literally. Besties if we both get in LOL? I have just turned in my secondary and I heard that it should be fine. I am an OOS from KY/TN.

Hi all! I just interviewed several days ago, but I did not mention that PCOM was my #1 choice (so nervous). I would really like them to know this, and that I would absolutely matriculate if accepted, and I know they make their decisions on the fast side. Do you think it would be a bad idea to send a LOinterest/LOintent, just saying how much I love the city of Philadelphia and envision myself practicing medicine there and that PCOM has been my top choice for the past two years?

Hi all! I just interviewed several days ago, but I did not mention that PCOM was my #1 choice (so nervous). I would really like them to know this, and that I would absolutely matriculate if accepted, and I know they make their decisions on the fast side. Do you think it would be a bad idea to send a LOinterest/LOintent, just saying how much I love the city of Philadelphia and envision myself practicing medicine there and that PCOM has been my top choice for the past two years?

Lots of students send letters of intent after interviewing at various programs, so I don't see why it would be bad. I would make it short (a couple paragraphs), and make sure to put your AACOMAS number on it. I'm not sure when the last batch of invites went out, but send it ASAP because I think the admissions committee still meets on a three week cycle? (Not sure where in that cycle they are). And if you haven't already, make sure you send thank you cards to the people you interviewed with. I think that speaks louder than LOI, but both are good.

Lots of students send letters of intent after interviewing at various programs, so I don't see why it would be bad. I would make it short (a couple paragraphs), and make sure to put your AACOMAS number on it. I'm not sure when the last batch of invites went out, but send it ASAP because I think the admissions committee still meets on a three week cycle? (Not sure where in that cycle they are). And if you haven't already, make sure you send thank you cards to the people you interviewed with. I think that speaks louder than LOI, but both are good.

Just an FYI, thank you cards and letter of intent don't hold any water at PCOM with the way their admission process works.

I was told this by a friend who is on the admissions committee. No further explanation was provided but read between the lines for the reason why.

anyone know how long they hold interviews till this semester? Thanks!

Just an FYI, thank you cards and letter of intent don't hold any water at PCOM with the way their admission process works.

I was told this by a friend who is on the admissions committee. No further explanation was provided but read between the lines for the reason why.

Wow thats surprising. I was going off of the information that one of my interviewers told me last year. They had remembered me through my thank you letter.

And that's a good point. For anyone that doesn't know the way the admission process works, from what I was told: The interviewers decide right after your interview whether or not they would recommend to accept you. Then, the entire admissions committee gets together and sifts through the applications and decides who is accepted/rejected/waitlisted. At this time, the people who interviewed have the opportunity to talk about their decision.

The last part is the part where I see thank you letters being beneficial. If my interviewer could remember that I sent them a thank you card a year after my interview, i'm sure it would be somewhat beneficial for them to remember when the entire committee reviews applications (especially if they are on the fence)

But if someone on the admissions committee doesn't think it helps, then I wouldn't waste the time writing one.

anyone know how long they hold interviews till this semester? Thanks!

They take a break for christmas and then resume after the 1st of the year (if it is the same as it was last year). I know there were students on campus interviewing when we were off for our break (which started Dec. 17th I think), and then they were there the day we got back (which was around Jan 2nd).

Still haven't heard from PCOM. :(

Does anyone know the next time that ADCOM meets? I would assume this week, only because it seems they sent the last round of letters Oct 6-9 area, and I thought they met on a 3-week cycle. EEK I am so nervous!:scared::eek:

Does anyone know the next time that ADCOM meets? I would assume this week, only because it seems they sent the last round of letters Oct 6-9 area, and I thought they met on a 3-week cycle. EEK I am so nervous!:scared::eek:

They usually meet the first Wednesday of the month.

I just finished my secondary for PCOM. I have a question regarding the essay part. I am working in hospital as pharmacist. I did have some experience with DO, I don't feel any difference between DO and MD. I apply PCOM, just because it is a good medical school. So I didn't put too much on about how much I am interested in DO program, I just explain why medical school. Will this be big issue about apply PCOM? Thanks for any advice.

Has anyone that has been accepted to PCOM been waitlisted by them in the past? I was waitlisted by them last year (interviewed in mid-Feb) and just interviewed again last week -- I am extremely anxious about it, and was looking for some hope. :oops: I have been taking two courses at nearby college (biochemistry and microbiology), got a full-time job in a hospital as a nurses aide, and re-took my MCAT (raised my score by 3 points).