PCOM post bac/MSBS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swinsh01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my acceptance about 3 weeks ago. Anyone else?

Anyone who is in or completed the program have any words of advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow you applied super early! Both campus? Congratulations! My file was completed Nov 26 and still waiting for a letter. Mind sharing your stats?

just Philly campus for me. My file was complete on November 8th and I heard back on November 21st, so pretty quick! My cGPA is a 3.08 and my sGPA is ~3.02 (I believe). Both with upward trends. My MCAT is a 9P, 9V, 10B, O writing.

Members don't see this ad :)
when do most people usually apply for this program?

I'm thinking of applying to this program. Being a CA resident, would it be a waste of time to apply to the GA campus as well? Or is there no regional preference?

from what I've read, there is no region preference

Just got my letter today :) Just in time for Christmas.

Congrats MD013! Maybe I'll see you there.

And yes Medic, August 2013. It feels great to figure out my gap year this far in advanced!

I completed my app for GA the last week of december and revieved a letter from them yesteeday saying i was on the waiting list. Im happy it wasn't a rejection letter but this was my dream school so i really hope i will be gettin an acceptance letter some time in the near future because i just sent them my transcript that had my final grades which were deans list so i hope this sways the decision in my favor....congrats on your acceptance!!!

I completed my app for GA the last week of december and revieved a letter from them yesteeday saying i was on the waiting list. Im happy it wasn't a rejection letter but this was my dream school so i really hope i will be gettin an acceptance letter some time in the near future because i just sent them my transcript that had my final grades which were deans list so i hope this sways the decision in my favor....congrats on your acceptance!!!

Do you mind sharing your stats? I just sent in my app today but don't really think I have a shot to get in with a 2.7 31Q

I was feeling the same way i have a 3.0 overall and sGPA is 2.9...ny mcat was really bad so im studying trying to get that up so i can apply for the DO program...well they have been very quick with sending out decisions from what ive seen but ill keep my fingers crossed for the both of us

Filling out the app for this right now... Seems like a good program and a good back up if I don't get into USF IMS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. Does anyone have an idea when we will receive our binder after submitting the deposit? Good luck to all applicants and looking forward to seeing our classmates at PCOM GA :)

pcom's website is too cluttered...what is the cost of the program? iirc i read somewhere 40K+, just like their med school tuition. can someone please correct me?

I think it's about $777 per credit, and there are ~29 credits in the first year certificate program.

Question for those who've applied to the MBS at PCOM! I'm trying to send my MCAT scores, but I'm not sure how. I sent a print out of my score report but apparently it was not sufficient for the school. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

I sent it through the MCAT Thx site. There should be a drop down option to select PCOM as the recipient.

How long did it take for the status page to update once you sent in your MCAT score? Also is there a separate personal statement you need to send in? It says they haven't gotten mine but I thought it was just part of the application..

You will probably have to call them to update it for you. No there is not a separate PS. It's the biographical statement that was part of the application.

Has anyone else taken their acceptance yet? I'm anxious to meet my future classmates!

Thread has been extremely quiet. Already filed and completed my FAFSA. Still no binder from PCOM. Going out of the country for the next month. What is everyone doing currently in terms of ECs? I'm still working full time and catching up on some leisure reading. Might I add, The Healing of America is a great book to gather more info on healthcare reforms :)

Good luck to everybody applying for august!! Received my acceptance for Philly late January.

Any one here anything else? I'm hoping to get something from them soon, been complete for about a week now.

I know someone who was completed on Feb 24th and received their decision this week.

I was complete in early January and received a wait list ( :-/ ) letter in the mail about two weeks ago.

I was complete in early January and received a wait list ( :-/ ) letter in the mail about two weeks ago.

Ah im sorry :/ hopefully the waitlist moves quick! Do you mind sharing your stats? are you applying to other programs?

Ah im sorry :/ hopefully the waitlist moves quick! Do you mind sharing your stats? are you applying to other programs?
Sure, my AACOMAS c/sGPA is right at the cusp of 3.0 but I'm in the process of grade replacement for a couple of classes and should be at about a 3.2 at the end of this semester, though I'm not sure if PCOM calculated our GPAs as per the AACOMAS method for the masters. MCAT was a 27 (PS10, V8, BS9). I'm in the process of reviewing/practicing and taking it again before I start a masters somewhere later this year.

Congrats on your acceptances! I'm a first year student at GA-PCOM in the Biomed program. It's an excellent, challenging program. If you have any questions, feel free to message me or reply here, I'll be happy to help.

Pcom admission advisor told me today they don't avg your grades but just use your overall GPA on your transcript and science GPA. They also said you need a min. 3.0, and the avg applicant has a 3.28.

Pcom admission advisor told me today they don't avg your grades but just use your overall GPA on your transcript and science GPA. They also said you need a min. 3.0, and the avg applicant has a 3.28.

Well ****

I got into PCOM-GA's Biomed program with a 2.9. I know others that had lower. I guess it depends on your MCAT. You should still apply.

Sure, my AACOMAS c/sGPA is right at the cusp of 3.0 but I’m in the process of grade replacement for a couple of classes and should be at about a 3.2 at the end of this semester, though I’m not sure if PCOM calculated our GPAs as per the AACOMAS method for the masters. MCAT was a 27 (PS10, V8, BS9). I’m in the process of reviewing/practicing and taking it again before I start a masters somewhere later this year.

Focus on your grades and GPA. I wouldn't necessarily suggest re-taking the MCAT. A 27 is a good score, above average for PCOM. You really only need a 24ish to get into PCOM's DO program. If you take the MCAT again and get lower than a 27, you'll be screwed, I'd stick with the 27. It can even get you into many MD schools. You GPA needs to go higher though. I can almost promise you that if you stick with the 27, do the Biomed masters first year, get A's/B+'s in your first term and apply to PCOM DO school, you'll most likely get in.

Falcon, that is good to hear. How far into the program are you?

Falcon, I appreciate the words of encouragement!

My gpa is quite low without grade replacement, which is why I'm attempting to make up for it with an (hopefully) impeccable mcat. A 27 may be decent enough for someone who has the rest of their app spotless, but considering Philly PCOM has delayed their decision on my app, I could definitely improve on it some more.

For those who applied to both campuses, do you have to send LORs/transcripts to both campuses?

For those who applied to both campuses, do you have to send LORs/transcripts to both campuses?

No. You only have to send to PCOM. Then PCOM-GA will automatically have it because they use the same system. You just have to send each one a separate application and separate fee. Both will have access to your transcripts, MCAT and LORS if you send it directly to PCOM.

No. You only have to send to PCOM. Then PCOM-GA will automatically have it because they use the same system. You just have to send each one a separate application and separate fee. Both will have access to your transcripts, MCAT and LORS if you send it directly to PCOM.
Awesome! Thanks so much for your fast reply! :)

To those who received acceptances already: did PCOM send out emails or did you receive your decision by snail mail?

For those interested in PCOM-GA, its just a little under 20 that are confirmed to start the program this Fall. So for those that have not apply or are waitlisted, you should have a good chance. Does anyone know what is the max number for acceptance? I heard it was 75 or maybe I heard wrong.

Anyone know if there's a facebook group for accepted Philadelphia students? I found last year's, but no luck for this cycle

We are moving to a house in East Falls--8-10 min drive to PCOM--in Mid-May (accommodates our schedule for my roommates' boards and first year exams).

We're looking for one more roommate.

The house is 3 bed, 2.5 bath, newer (1988) row home, with a driveway, cul de sac parking, and a huge backyard and driveway. The rent is 1800/mo, split 3 ways + utilities. The kitchens is new, the windows are new.

I'm one of the Military Guys at PCOM, and my roommate is going to be a 3rd year, so we're both motivated and clean up after ourselves. My dog helps with that, too.

We were both BioMeds--I did the MS and my roommate did one year.

Let me know if you're interested in learning more.

For the Activities section, did you guys explain the activities like you would in a resume or just list them? Many thanks for any responses!

On the application? I listed them resume style

I applied roughly 3 weeks ago and received my decision today. How accessible is the campus and surrounding area without a car? Does anyone know?

Can those who have been already accepted to this program, recently or not, post their stats? Thanks.