PCOM....What the...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurseyK

Bunny-Slave
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, ok...I have no other source to turn to so out it comes (as I brace myself against a wall in prep for ridicule):

I received a letter from PCOM today (my first choice) saying that they are going to "delay their decision" re: acceptance until "after all interviews are complete in March" and that I'll hear from them "before April 20th".

Sooooo, let me get this straight - I'm the little bastard step-child that they *think* they want only if the rest of the kids are drooling-nose-picking idiots? What the he*# is this crap?!?!

A very frustrated -

Kat

Members don't see this ad.

I really would not be too upset by this. Consider yourself lucky that they did not waitlist you in which case they could notify you up until the day of classes. At least they give you a date! I do not know if you have applied to medical schools before, but this is extremely typical for schools to do. Speaking from experience, I have had schools put me on hold for 6 months at a time and never even notify me.

My point is, this is a good thing shows that PCOM is considerate of the fact that applicants just want to know. I am going there next year, and to speak truthfully, of all the schools I have interviewed at, they are by far the nicest and most considerate. They have always responded to me when they said they would. You can even call them and ask to speak to an admissions counselor about this. They are usually extrememly responsive. I would not get too carried away. It could be much worse.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by NurseyK:
Ok, ok...I have no other source to turn to so out it comes (as I brace myself against a wall in prep for ridicule):

I received a letter from PCOM today (my first choice) saying that they are going to "delay their decision" re: acceptance until "after all interviews are complete in March" and that I'll hear from them "before April 20th".

Sooooo, let me get this straight - I'm the little bastard step-child that they *think* they want only if the rest of the kids are drooling-nose-picking idiots? What the he*# is this crap?!?!

A very frustrated -

Kat

Kat,

Consider yourself lucky that you got an interview! I was accepted at a few other DO schools, but PCOM wanted nothing to do with me. Congrats that you've gotten this far!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can understand your frustration at getting a "we might decide to call you later on" letter. You can't make any plans. Everything is on hold until someone in the admissions department chants the magic words and performs some arcane ritual to decide who gets an acceptance letter. I had to apply to med school three times. Twice I got the "Congradulations, you made the Alternate List so now you have several months of waiting again until we decide to send you a a definate answer" letter. Try to keep in mind that you still have a chance of getting picked up. At least you didn't get the "good luck and try again next year" letter. You might want to call and chat with the admissions director concerning your actual chances. Sometimes they will give you an idea about where you stand on the alternate list. If you're at the bottom, chances are poor. If you are near the top, chances are decent.

I have a great deal of experience with re-applying and collecting rejection letters. The remarks I made about arcane rituals were kind. God only knows what are the actual criteria for acceptance to med school. Generally, no one can actually pin down what the schools are looking for and even if they could it would be different for each school.

It's my belief that most everyone who gets past the screening process and makes it to the interview can probably pass med school. The med schools (when I was applying) had about 10 to 15 applicants for each seat. Usually, they called at in at least four times the applicants for interviews compared to available seats. So, the schools can afford to pick and choose. Also, they really don't care if you get mad and pull your application. There are plenty of people in line to jump at the spot. Basically you had to make your name stand out somehow. Anyway, these are some questions to think about. Did you get letters of reference from graduates of the school? Did you get letters of reference from physicians associated with the school's program? Have you can ask the admission's director to discuss you application's strengths and weaknesses? Are you applying to in state or out of state schools?

Yes, there are people who have been in your situation. It doesn't make the waiting any easier. The only advice I can offer is "don't take no for answer". If you believe that medicine is for you, keep on applying. Don't let the system break you spirit.

Good Luck and God Bless,
William

Kat,

I can sympathize with your current predicament, as I have also just recieved the "delayed decision" letter. Although the letter was a huge let down, which means another month of anxious waiting and compulsive mailbox checking, I assure you that it is much better than being waitlisted or rejected for that matter. So look on the upside, we're still right in the mix of things, and with a little luck maybe we will be class mates next year. I wish you the best over the next 42 days, and I look forward to seeing a PCOM acceptance post from you.

Kat,
I wouldn't be overly upset with the PCOM decision as long as you got into other programs. I released my acceptance there a couple of months ago after realizing PCOM's true intentions as a diploma-producing machine rather than a med school.

I was lucky enough to have multiple acceptances and I'm glad I opened a spot for someone else who doesn't care about quality of life issues in school.

Call the financial aid office and admissions office and you'll know what I mean.

Look closely at your other acceptances and realize that there are many other better places.

-Glands

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by glands75:
Kat,
I wouldn't be overly upset with the PCOM decision as long as you got into other programs. I released my acceptance there a couple of months ago after realizing PCOM's true intentions as a diploma-producing machine rather than a med school.

I was lucky enough to have multiple acceptances and I'm glad I opened a spot for someone else who doesn't care about quality of life issues in school.

Call the financial aid office and admissions office and you'll know what I mean.

Look closely at your other acceptances and realize that there are many other better places.

-Glands

Glands,
Would you please elaborate for me what you meant when you said that you opened up a spot for someone who doesn't care about the "quality of life issues in school?" Also, why did you say that there are many other better places? Is it just because the secretaries in PCOM admissions are, well, rude and bitchy? Thanks

Kat,

-Glands

I too would love to hear what you have to say. I have had no such experiences. The office staff has been nice and extremely helpful in all cases. Sometimes I think it is not them and it is the people calling. The one thing I witnessed in the workplace is that office staff, including secretaries, assistants, or receptionists are always talked down to because they are viewed as inferior. Maybe the same attitude prevails among some medical applicants as well. I know we get anxious to know our application status and/or interview status, but you know what, these are not the people that can help you.

I do not know if this is the reason you complain about PCOM, but if so, it is absolutely ludicrous and reflective of only some opinions. Otherwise, I would love to hear your real reasons for dissing PCOM. I have yet to hear a legitimate reason that deals with curric
ulum or clinical opportunities, etc. However, I am an open-minded individual and when I choose one school over another, it is because it did not represent the appropriate fit. I can offer reasons and if you like, I can also offer unwarranted comments with no basis for argument. Take your pick.

However, not to be a hypocrite, I really am interested in your rationale for dissing PCOM.

Kat,

-Glands

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by NurseyK:

A very frustrated -

Kat[/B]•

Hey NurseyK......you mean to tell me that you do not pick your nose? And even if you do not, what do you have against those that do?! I happen to dig for gold just about every day, and sometimes, I dig up quite a Kings ransom! I am interested to know how you are able to keep your nostrils free of various mucinous discharge without a good old fashioned pick every now and then? Do you have some special secret? Or are you just one of those closet pickers?? I am very irritated that you seek to bash nose pickers like myself. How dare you! You should be ashamed of yourself for engaging in such childish and rudimentary behavior!
-your most mature and clean-nosed Liquid

Kat,

If I may be so bold, I would like to offer some humble advice. I have been following a number of your posts (here and in the nursing section) and can relate to you quite a bit. I love PCOM and have a friend, who like you, was an ER nurse. I worked with her some at Brooke Army Medical Center. It is a level I trauma center here in San Antonio. The ER chief, one of the senior staff and a couple of residents are DO's and several are PCOM alumni. They were great help to us when it came time to apply. Before I began the interview process, PCOM was my first choice. I was blessed to receive a number of acceptances early on and had to decide before the November 15th deadline. In the end, it came down to PCOM or MSU. For a number of personal reasons I ended up picking MSU. The only thing difficult about it was having to send my declination letter to PCOM. I personally believe that PCOM is an AWESOME school; whether you are talking about instruction, clinicals or whatever, it is solid. Moreover, it holds it own--reputation wise--when compared to the other Pennsylvania medical schools.

Anyway...here is my advice: If I were you, I would write a succinct letter reaffirming your interest and desire to attend PCOM. Mail it directly to Carol Fox. It cannot hurt, and it may very well help. In addition, if you by chance know any alumni, ask them to give her a call and put in a good word for you...it worked for me.

Good Luck,
Dale Jackson, B.S., NREMT-P

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement - I didn't get chewed up as bad as a thought I was going to!
wink.gif

nmourtzi: I took your advice about asking for a person from AdCom (got past the Secretary). She said they have been flooded with calls about the letter for the last 2 days. Their reasoning behind it was: they received SOOO many deposits to hold seats (more than they expected compared to previous years), it threw them off. They ususally interview thru April/May - they are now cutting off interviews early (3rd week of March or so). To try to 'remain fair' they decided to hold any more decisions until after all interviews were over, and also see if some people start to decline their (previous) acceptances and, therefore, open up more seats. It's more info than I started with, I guess I can take it or leave it.

jbgetz: You're not alone. I hope the above helps you. We'll both have our stomach's in a knot for another month!

kstokes: I'm sorry to hear that you weren't offered an interview. Congrats on your other acceptances, your hard work did pay off!

RDJ: Unfortunately, I don't know any alumni. (I did send them a ton of letters originally). Thanks for the support!

WmBohannon: You got it exactly! It's the waiting and not being able to plan, fill out paperwork, get finances in order, find a place to live, etc, etc. Jeez, I'm 30 yrs old with a hubby and quitting a decent 5-figure-a-year job...and starting to eye the Ramen Pride noodles again when I go shopping...
True, at least it isn't a waitlist. I'm a "definate maybe" LOL

glands: I remember your postings about PCOM (PCOM vs some other school, if I remember). What school did you finally decide on? (Feel free to e-mail me if you don't want to make a huge announcement, I understand.) This has caused me to look at my second choice school closer (if that's even possible - I've already looked at it under the proverbial microscope). I made a good choice there. I don't regret it. I don't regret dumping the rest of the schools' apps/interviews/acceptances. I wasn't going to take the various school's precious time away from other potential applicants who may *want* to go to those schools. In a way, you sound like my husband, 'Do you want to go to the school that thinks of you as second-rate or to the school that wanted you the minute they met you?'

and Liquid: ....ah, but do you drool when you pick your nose? Therein lies the difference, my fair friend....and, does proper etiquette dictate drooling before or after picking? Maybe that is where I erred. During the interview, I drooled BEFORE I picked...darn, where's Emily Post when you need her?
tongue.gif

Kat

[This message has been edited by NurseyK (edited 03-10-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, gland
from where are you getting all this nonsense information about PCOM? let me clarify a couple of points for you. We do not spend all day in class like you mentioned. as a matter of fact the only times that we are in school until late in the afternoon is when we either have omm lab or standard patients sessions.

Our curriculum is based on a system approach where we do physio, patho, pharm and micro at the same time for a particular system. In the first and second term the curriculum is an integrated sciences based curriculum.

About the students from the master's program have a advantage is nonsense or al least i have not see it yet. the doctor's and master's program are run in different ways so everybody have to adjust to the medical program the same way. does it makes it a little bit eisier sure but not by that much. Plus there is something that you have to realize is that doesn't matter to what medical school you got to you will have this situation. this is due to the fact the quality of applicants has improved through the years, where more applicants apply with higher degrees earned. In my case i already master's in biomedical science from a different university. You wiil find many students that have earned PhD's PharmD DPM ,etc and the list goes on and on.

My point is don't be affraid to some competition bcz you are going to get it no matter where you go. I hope I was able clear some misinformation for everybody.

------------------
siul

hey nurseyk
first good luck,
2nd,
could you elaborate on your talk with the pcom adm rep? i got an application in and haven't heard a word, only a confirmation about reception, i sent in app around late january/early feb
your talk about early interview cutoff is throwin me, could ya clarify?

Nothing to clarify..what I typed is all I know. My suggestion is to call them and ask them about your app. specifically. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

At least you heard from them. One of my classmates got a rejection letter from NYCOM this last October. The only problems is that he was already in his second year of medical school already before they got back to him.

Hmmmmm!

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

What PCOM is telling you is that you are well qualified. They have accepted the majority of the class and are going to rank those students that the admissions has said that they would accept. Last year the majority of those who were wait listed after being in the same position you are in were accepted earlier in the summer. A sub-committee decides in April who gets in and who is wait listed.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by gutR:
hey nurseyk
first good luck,
2nd,
could you elaborate on your talk with the pcom adm rep? i got an application in and haven't heard a word, only a confirmation about reception, i sent in app around late january/early feb
your talk about early interview cutoff is throwin me, could ya clarify?

Hey gutr,

I sent my secondary in in late January and received the letter you described. I too was worried when I saw the post regarding the early interview cutoff...but this Saturday I received a letter inviting me for an interview on the 28th of March. So, keep your fingers crossed and good luck!

hey buddy tanks for the reply, its hard waiting as you already know

could ya do me a favor and post your stats?

mine are/were 3.6 and 29 but booted from 1 school

thanks
if wanna keep private
[email protected]
yanks for 4-peat

Just a few comments:

1. Liquid Tension: You are my hero. If I didn't already have a girlfriend, I'd ask you to be my boyfriend. We could work out the "don't ask, don't tell" details at a later time.

2. As a PCOM alumnus, I've very mixed feelings about my old alma mater.

I think it's a solid, well-established school with a solid, well-established curriculum.

In summary, well, I think it's solid and well-established.

Be that as it may: it is also very political. They seem to care more about building a mammoth gym for the Philadelphia 76ers than the poor little old students who pay $20,000/year in tuition.

However, the reality is that PCOM needs these large public-relations behemoths in order to survive financially. Part of the business. Make no mistake: PCOM isn't a diploma-mill, but it makes no bones (get it?) about doing what it must to keep itself in the black.

PCOM has the all the tools available (and then some) to allow even a lazy bastard such as myself to graduate a fairly competent physician.

NurseyK: I hope you make it. PCOM is a decent school, but South Street is outrageous on the weekends. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Good luck.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by gutR:
hey buddy tanks for the reply, its hard waiting as you already know

could ya do me a favor and post your stats?

mine are/were 3.6 and 29 but booted from 1 school

thanks
if wanna keep private
[email protected]
yanks for 4-peat

Dear gutR,

Undergrad BCPM 3.5, undergrad cumm GPA 3.8.
Graduate GPA 3.7, MCAT 27, with 14 yrs of continuos medical exposure. Listen, most med schools will, hopefully, look at your application and take into account your strengths/weaknesses, and decide if you would be a valuable addition to the profession, instead of just focusing on the STATS. I am hoping that will be the case when I'm being considered due to the fact that my MCAT is not too strong? HOPEFULLY!!!
About that incident with a particular school, as long as it didn't occur too recently and you can explain the circumstances, I think they will overlook it.
I hope this helps and sorry for being so long-winded.
Good luck gutR.

Bigk9s

Thank you all for your well-wishes!

I've at least come up with a plan to "pass the time" while I...ahem...patiently wait. (GGGRRrrr) I figure I'll at least start to fill out and hold the paperwork for my second choice, make a appointment for my physical, blah, blah. I've also been busy re-cert'ing my PALS and NALS, so, my guts aren't AS tied up in knots anymore...LOL!

Kat
smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by nostromo:
Just a few comments:

1. Liquid Tension: You are my hero. If I didn't already have a girlfriend, I'd ask you to be my boyfriend. We could work out the "don't ask, don't tell" details at a later time.

Hello Nostromo,

Well......thanks so much for your praise. I am flattered to think that you would like to engage in a relationship with me. Gosh, the last time someone told me that was......ummm......hmmm......****.....I can't remember the last time someone told me that! Hey, how about we try to get something going on the side? I am totally into the don't ask, don't tell deal. Let me know what you think......Oh, one more thing...I have a ton of petroleum jelly and various lubricants in my closet. (don't bother asking why). I think that these oily substances will come in very handy if we should connect as I am hoping. I wish you all the best Nostromo! :)
-your most hot and bothered Liquid

Liquid, you idiot!!

Oil-based lubricants?

What the hell's the matter with you?

It's water-based or no deal!