PCOM's Master's of Biomedical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bucky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for more information regarding PCOM's Master's of Biomedical Sciences. I am 32 and applying in June but of course I want to make a plan for the possibility of not getting in. I have a BS in Biochem, 3.0 GPA, MCAT 30, and have worked for the last few years in the biotech field. What are the percentages of people getting into PCOM after first year of the program? Anybody have experience with the program? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Bucky,

PCOM's Master's in Biomedical sciences is a really good program. I know someone who is in it now. You get to take graduate level biochem, gross anatomy, immunology... Good classes that are excellent preparation for medical school. It's in a decent location. Generally speaking it is a pretty safe neighborhood.

I see you are from Seattle Washington. I don't believe there is a significant advantage to going through PCOM's program. In other words, I don't think it is worth going across the country, unless you are looking to relocate of course. You can do the same thing locally in a good MS in biochemistry or related sciences and take similar classes. I am sure there is some advantage to applying to PCOM as a PCOM student, but it isn't going to give you any more advantage anywhere else than any other competitive MS program.

Not sure if that is the information you are looking for, but there you go. That is my impression.

W.U.A.S.

Hi Bucky,

I'm going through the BMS program right now. It's a real good preparation for medical school and does give you somewhat of an advantage when applying to PCOM's DO school. You are guaranteed an interview and you are given the opportunity for them to get to know you before the interview process. I would suggest doing the program. Would be happy to answer any specific questions you have

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the program last year. Post any questions you may have.

[This message has been edited by kim777 (edited March 31, 2001).]

What were the classes like? Were the same professors teaching these classes as well as the 1st years? What sorts of projects did people work on? Did you work while you were taking the classes? Did you automatically get an interview? Did you get in? What's the average age of students in the program? How many in the program and how many ended being accepted to the Osteopathic school? Would you recommend it?

Thanks for your time.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by bucky:
What were the classes like? Were the same professors teaching these classes as well as the 1st years? What sorts of projects did people work on? Did you work while you were taking the classes? Did you automatically get an interview? Did you get in? What's the average age of students in the program? How many in the program and how many ended being accepted to the Osteopathic school? Would you recommend it?

Thanks for your time.

So many qustions, so little time!

Whatsup bucky, I am a 2nd year in the program that you are currently looking into.

First, let me begin by saying that for you it may be a good deal. Particularly, since your weakness is your gpa. ( If it was in your MCAT score, I would not recommend the masters program at all)

Classes?
The classes were basically watered down first year medical school classes, with two exceptions.

Biochemistry. Well, uh, Molecular Basis of Medicine. The first year medical students take a combined course instead. However, this class comes the closest to being med school level out of all of the rest. It is a necessity that you do well in it.

Nuerosience. Still watered down, just not available to the DO students until the 2nd year.

Anatomy and Biochem are probably the only difficult courses.

Teachers?
The exact same people. Many sit on the adcom. ie. DON'T SKIP CLASS despite what anyone tells you.

Projects?
You pretty much pick what research project you want. Look here

http://www.pcom.edu/research/scholarly.html

You can any other research not listed, provided you receive DR. Kreibel's OK.
However, none of this is until your 2nd year. There are exceptions (with Dr. Kreibel's approval).

Interviews?
Automatic. You receive an interview both years, no matter when you apply or how crappy your resume looks. Getting accepted is another matter
wink.gif

Did I get in?
Hell yes. But, I was rejected the first time around. ( I'm not ashamed)PCOM has moved to only taking a few of the first years in the program. However, it's a lot easier the 2nd time around. I should mention that the program is ,for some odd reason, highly respected in the DO community, and thus almost all the students eventually get into medical school, even with crappier MCATs. Provided they do well of course!

Average age?
24 and up. There are a couple of students close to your age currently attending...

Would I recommend it?
Depends on your situation. Quite truthfully, unless your gpa is lower than desired you may be better of doing something else to prove your worth. You'd probably come out cheaper ,too. But I digress, the Master's program is a good way to find out if you have what it takes to handle a medical student's courseload and if you truly want to be a physician.

In good faith
bluphilosopher
PCOM 2005

PS. Wish is right there are other methods of achieving your goal without relocating across country.

PSS. Please email me for more detaled info and survival hints. ( Check my profile.)