All Branch Topic (ABT) PCS questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, a few quick questions. I've been re-reading my orders and can't figure it out. This will be my first PCS from medical school.

1) How many days am I allowed to drive from my current location to my duty station? Does it matter when I leave? Will I get per diem/room reimbursement?

2) I am thinking of asking for a DLA/transportation advance. Just wondered if anyone else had experience with this on their first PCS? I just don't want to take the money and get screwed and have to pay back like 3000$ somehow... :/

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure that you can't take DLA when you come onto or leave active duty.

The law states that you are eligible for DLA coming onto active duty if you're bringing dependents on the PCS, so question answered! Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
5. Am I authorized DLA when moving from my home of record to my first duty station?
By law there is no DLA when the PCS is from your home (or the place from which you entered active duty) to your first permanent duty station (PDS) unless your dependents actually move in connection with the PCS.

As far as an advance, I read that you can do it but haven't figured out how.
And as for the date, I was told you have to show up however by the date listed on the orders. But then you can take a 10 day TDY to look for a place etc.

And as for the date, I was told you have to show up however by the date listed on the orders. But then you can take a 10 day TDY to look for a place etc.

If the OP is reporting for intern orientation, then they're not going to allow pTDY for house hunting. However, they typically purposefully schedule a decent amount of downtime into orientation so that you can get settled before 1 July.

For subsequent PCSs, you can get, but are not guaranteed to get, pTDY for house hunting. It can be granted by either the losing or, more frequently, the accepting command, but obviously not both.

5. Am I authorized DLA when moving from my home of record to my first duty station?
By law there is no DLA when the PCS is from your home (or the place from which you entered active duty) to your first permanent duty station (PDS) unless your dependents actually move in connection with the PCS.

As far as an advance, I read that you can do it but haven't figured out how.
Ive got my travel advance currently being processed and it should be deposited this week.

I went to the local base with my orders and scheduled counseling for my move. I went to counseling last week, indicated id like an advance as Im doing a full DITY, and then dropped the paperwork off at the finance office with a direct deposit form.

Its 60% of the estimated cost of your move so I would imagine it would be hard to get an advance that would be more than what you will be reimbursed.

Ive got my travel advance currently being processed and it should be deposited this week.

I went to the local base with my orders and scheduled counseling for my move. I went to counseling last week, indicated id like an advance as Im doing a full DITY, and then dropped the paperwork off at the finance office with a direct deposit form.

Its 60% of the estimated cost of your move so I would imagine it would be hard to get an advance that would be more than what you will be reimbursed.
generally partial dity moves are the way to go

my closest travel office (and base for that matter) is 5 hours away....im in the process of figuring this all out but i really hope i dont have to drive that for the counseling and they let me do it online

my closest travel office (and base for that matter) is 5 hours away....im in the process of figuring this all out but i really hope i dont have to drive that for the counseling and they let me do it online
There's a base within 5 hours of Tarsonis?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Closest one to me was about 2 hours away. They didn't make me do the counseling in person. The moving company picked up my stuff today and I think so far only a table leg was damaged. Crossing my fingers!

Closest one to me was about 2 hours away. They didn't make me do the counseling in person. The moving company picked up my stuff today and I think so far only a table leg was damaged. Crossing my fingers!
who did you call to talk to? your destination TO or the TO that was closest to you?

who did you call to talk to? your destination TO or the TO that was closest to you?

I called the one closest to me and they basically gave me no other info than "start your application on move.mil" I did this and about 4 days later got an email with all the details regarding the moving company, my POC, etc. I'm not sure if it's because of my location, but the process of getting things started and having my things picked up was much more efficient than I expected.

The only real problem I've ever had with a PCS move is that for our last move, the contract movers apparently didn't feel like loading our barbecue in the truck so they hid it behind our back fence. At least, we assume that's what happened because that's where it ended up, and I didn't put it there. I'm really at a loss to explain why; it's not like it was nasty and coated with grease or infested with spiders.

A couple of broken items over the course of 4 PCS moves. It happens.

So from my reading, Dislocation allowance is good for first time PCSers who have dependents moving with them, right? This is my first PCS with the family. Anybody have experience with getting a DLA on their first PCS? I won't be doing a DITY. Thanks!

On your first move you do not get DLA. I also don't think you get it on your last PCS/retirement move either.

It used to be that you only got DLA on your first PCS if 1) it were OCONUS and 2) you have dependents. Or, to be more precise, that's the way it was for me.

Correction- I was wrong. If you have dependants then you do get DLA on first PCS if they are joining you. You do not get DLA on final PCS to home of record.

Www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqdla.cfm#Q1

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/JTR.pdf

My recommendation is that you ask for an advance of all of your PCS entitlements before you PCS because there can be a delay when your first AD pay check when going from med student to active duty. I think my first check showed up mid July and by end of july/mid August everything was caught up in terms of pay and pcs entitlements.