Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Peace Corps

Discussion in 'China and Eastern Asia' started by Naruto, 07.05.05.

1. Naruto

Naruto breathe deep, fly high

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Anyone go to Asia for Peacecorps after/during med school?

What was your experience like?

有人去中国吗?

Thanks
  2. trilingdoc

trilingdoc Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    有什么问题吗?I can help you.
  3. youngcmu

youngcmu Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member

"peace corps"是什么意思? E文不好,理解不了。谢谢!也说声: :p Thank you !!
  4. trilingdoc

trilingdoc Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    where are you ?
    I cannot type Chinese now, check this out for the meaning of peace corps

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=Learn.whatispc.mission
  5. youngcmu

youngcmu Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
  6. RST25

RST25 Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    hey

Being in the peace corps for a while sounds interesting. I was wondering if anyone has done peace corps as a med student or doctor, if they could post what it was like? Where they worked? What they did (job description) ? What adjustments they had to make? Any languages they had to learn and how long did it take to pick up the language. Rate your overall experience.

thanks
  7. trilingdoc

trilingdoc Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    hi, there
    I personally haven't done peace corps, but I heard my friend did it. It was like hell, they sent you to far side of China, mostly in the country, and you live with peasants, medical supplies are short most time, so you need to figure it out what to do , in order to balance between quality care and supplies, now, does it sound fun ? So.... you will like it only if you have a real heart to help people. That's final verdict.
  8. trilingdoc

trilingdoc Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
  9. RST25

RST25 Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    hi trilingdoc,
    i see that you didn't read my earlier post too well. I would like you re-read my earlier post and you will see that i never said that it would be "fun". What i did say was that it would be an interesting experience. By interesting experience, i meant that it would be something completely different from the expereince one would get in a hospital in a well situated area with decent funding. Not only would the person be helping and doing something new to them but it would be a chance to learn how to work with limited resources under some difficult circumstances. Being that we are talking Peace corps, i thought that was a given. You have definitely misunderstood me if you think that me (or anyone else)expect first-class accommodations.

I asked people to share their experiences to see what it is like since i have never done it and i happen to be curious. I doubt i'm the only one on this forum who is interested. Now if your friend or anyone else would like to post what it was like it will definitely be taken for what it is worth. If you don't consider yourself one of these people and have anything worth saying don't bother writing it.
  10. daraagiinemch

daraagiinemch Daraagiin Emch

Pre-Medical
    I returned from Peace Corps Mongolia at the end of March. My husband and I taught english in a province in the far western part of the country. While there, i decided to come back to the u.s., take advantage of the educational resources here, and go work abroad later, with actual useful skills.

Peace Corps is largely an organization for college graduates with generalized (read: very few practical) skills, as far as i saw. Each assignment varies greatly, but if you want to have the freedom to practice, educate, and do as you feel is necessary and/or useful, go on your own, be a UN volunteer, or join VSO or Medicine san Frontieres.

Our assignments were extremely specific, pre-determined, and naturally resources were lacking. That was not the problem though- the problem is the overarching beaurocracy- and the focus on volunteer "safety and security" post 9/11. I would consider rejoining peace corps, but without the expectation of really getting anything done, at least how i would want to do it. If you do decide to join, realize the restrictions you'll be working with: no travel w/out pre-approval, no motorcycle riding, perhaps not choosing where you'll live, what your job will be, who you'll work with, etc.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal