Pearls for new CA-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimedicine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting my ca-1 year nxt week...im obviously new to this whole thing and thus wet behind the ear...any advice from some of the senior residents and attendings? Do's and donts etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't stir the pot

Read

Reactions: 2 users
When you're asked/told to do something/give something you never have before, don't be afraid to ask first.

Don't be like one of my co-residents who, in his first or second week, was asked to give some vasopressin after induction - so he went ahead and gave the whole vial.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting my ca-1 year nxt week...im obviously new to this whole thing and thus wet behind the ear...any advice from some of the senior residents and attendings? Do's and donts etc...

Read, read read. Introductory texts are really great - personally I am a fan of Morgan & Mikhail for new learners, their pharmacology section really is excellent. The physiology is OK but still a reasonable read. These will be the most important sections for you to review as your seniors and attending will want you to know about the drugs you are giving everyday!

Be helpful, ask for feedback at the end of the day on what you did well and what could be improved.

Do not be afraid to ask for help or clarifications if questions arise. Even more important, if you are at all uncomfortable with what is going on during a case DO NOT HESITATE to call your attending or senior resident for some advice. You may even be on to something (i.e. EKG changes).

I've mentioned this before, but if an emergency arises when you are paired (assuming that's how your program operates), you would probably be well served stepping back and letting the senior residents and attending handle it while you are stationed firmly at the cart drawing up medications and handing things as needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Introduce yourself to people that you haven't work with before, including nurses, surgeons, techs, whoever. Start making friends who can help you as you figure everything out. Don't take inevitable failure to intubate, place IV's, or anything else personally. Have thick skin and ask for feedback. Asking for help is never the wrong answer at this point. Read basic textbooks and review fundamental physiology/pharmacology.

Reactions: 2 users
Start working on developing a consistent system for scanning. This is very helpful, especially when picking up cases signed out to you or while giving colleagues breaks.

And I know this is basic, but towards the end of a case organize your monitor/IV cables so that you don't have to deal with line spaghetti while getting ready to move the patient. don't be afraid to ask people in the room to do things for you like stabilize the breathing tube, help position, etc