Ped dental anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thorg12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a good friend of mine is opening a pediatric dentist office. She is did a pediatric dentistry residency and has been out a couple years and is opening her own solo practice in the next couple months.
She is "credentialed" for nitrous, oral versed and oral ketamine. Does feel very comfortable with nitrous but would be using a "dental anesthesiologist" for when she needs oral ketamine or oral versed bc she would prefer someone to be watching the vital signs while she does the procedure.
She asked if this is something I would interested in doing.
Does anyone no emergency medicine doctors that do something along these lines?
How do I go about getting insurance? Figuring out the specifics and getting the licensing ect?
Anyone have thoughts about if this is good idea?
thanks for looking

Members don't see this ad.

So a good friend of mine is opening a pediatric dentist office. She is did a pediatric dentistry residency and has been out a couple years and is opening her own solo practice in the next couple months.
She is "credentialed" for nitrous, oral versed and oral ketamine. Does feel very comfortable with nitrous but would be using a "dental anesthesiologist" for when she needs oral ketamine or oral versed bc she would prefer someone to be watching the vital signs while she does the procedure.
How do I go about getting insurance? Figuring out the specifics and getting the licensing ect?
thanks for looking

Lets see... licensing is easy... just have a medical license in your state.
Then for those meds you'll need a DEA license (and a controlled substance license if your state requires it).
You'll have to set up as a dispensary and have the storage location be your office. Lots of paperwork on that front, but doable. Plus the ongoing paperwork of being soley responsible for the storage and dispensing of controlled substances.
Then you'll need all of the same equipment that you'd have in an ED if a conscious sedation goes south. And what's your plan if you end up having to intubate a kid; make sure that's all planned in advance.
As for insurance; depends on your carrier. Conscious sedation is within an EM doc's scope... the location is a little unusual though. But that's up to your carrier. Nothing there would preclude you from getting insured... it's just the rate I'm unsure about.

I know an EM group that's done sedations for MRIs. Most of the oral surgeons where I'm at do their own. But I could see why peds dentists would want back up, considering the pretty high profile peds sedation disasters that have hit the news in recent years.

Members don't see this ad :)
we have an anesthesiologist who does our sedation cases, peds and adult
our omfs guy is dds, md...he does some of his own sedations too

no way am I taking a wknd course to get licensed in "sedation dentistry" and taking on that liability!

Reactions: 1 users
thanks for looking

I would look at the ADSA website. There are some amazing Dental Anesthesiologist that are located through out the country, I have been fortunate enough to witness several of them work in their offices because I was really curious about what they did differently than a Medical Anesthesiologist. There is also a blog/forum of the latest info. I believe the HQ is out of Chicago. I would check there 1st: Most of them did at least 2 yrs of anesthesiology residency training. Some will come to your office, some will have privileges at a hospital, and some will have an office for you to bring your patient to. Many of the anesthesia lectures are from the leaders in DA.

I would look at the ADSA website. There are some amazing Dental Anesthesiologist that are located through out the country, I have been fortunate enough to witness several of them work in their offices because I was really curious about what they did differently than a Medical Anesthesiologist. There is also a blog/forum of the latest info. I believe the HQ is out of Chicago. I would check there 1st: Most of them did at least 2 yrs of anesthesiology residency training. Some will come to your office, some will have privileges at a hospital, and some will have an office for you to bring your patient to. Many of the anesthesia lectures are from the leaders in DA.

That is excellent advice. If OP is still pondering this question 2 years later, I'm sure this will help.

EDIT: All of your recent posts have been insane necrobumps. The best I saw was a 7 year resurrection. Nicely done. That said, you should start looking at when the last post for some of these threads was. Responding to people isn't likely to get you a response if they started the conversation several years ago.

Last edited:
The "bump," was appreciated.
Her practice is doing very well and she hasn't used DA very much. I decided not to pursue; pretty busy with current job and am enjoying current work/life balance