Ped neuropsychology training -- what type of practica to pursue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroJaguar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. EDIT: Long time lurker, first time poster!

I am a first-year at a University-based PsyD program. We have had a 90%+ APA-accredited internship match rate the past 2 years, and have a 95% EPPP pass rate currently.

I have a neuroscience bachelor's degree, and have two years of full-time research experience with two publications. I am currently participating in clinically-applied neuroscience research with two different faculty members at my program.

I am interested in pursing pediatric assessment and neuropsychology as a career. My program has a neuropsychology elective course that I will take in my third year. I will be taking 3 years of courses and practica, and then 1 year of dissertation work and externship, and then plan to attend internship my 5th year. I plan to have a neuropsych-based dissertation.

I am interested in advice about what types of practica to purse while in the program. Since I am interested in neuropsychology, I am strongly considering applying to VA or other hopsital-based neuropsychology practica. None of these are pediatric-focused, however. There is a private pediatric neuropsychology practice in the area, but I wonder if that training will be as high-quality as that which I would receive at a hospital. I also know a generalist training is important, since what separates neuropsychologists from other neuro-type health professionals is our psychologist training, and that neuropsychologists are clinical psychologists before anything else.

With this information in mind, would you suggest I pursue a general pediatric treatment practicum my 2nd year, and then try to obtain neuropsychology assessment practica in my 3rd and 4th years? Is it important for me to get pediatric neuropsychology experience while in graduate school? How much generalist practica experience do you suggest I get while in the program?

Thanks for all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you are on the right track with the general practica first and then the neuropsychology practica. I am an adult neuro person, but I somehow feel that it's even more important to be a good generalist when you're in peds- the developmental dynamics, family considerations, etc. With a solid generalist peds and neuro (even if mostly adult neuro) background, I think you might be able to sell your story for internship. Having neuro at all and being able to think about brain-behavior relationships in a conceptually sound way is most important. With that said, if you can get the peds specific neuro, even better. Definitely do not assume that a private practice will not afford you as good an experience as a medical center. In both settings, there is much variability, and you also need to consider the type of cases you will see. Ultimately, you will want to think about which experience will best align with your long term goals and provide good continuity from practica to internship.