Pediatric match 2014..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pedsgirl88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going for this year's pediatric match. Please let me know what you guys think of my credentials:

Step 1 228-first attempt
Step 2 235-first attempt
CS: Passed-first attempt
Step 3 Not taken yet...financial constraints..most likely I will not take it.
USCE: 3 months of hands on in peds cardio, peds GI and peds pulmo..4 strong US LORS 1 very strong LOR from home school from an American trained pediatrician
Pubs: 4 but none in peds. 1 great paper in peds underway
YOG: 2012
IMG: will require J1

Will apply to around 70 programs.

I know things dont look good but I know I can present myself much more convincingly during interviews than on paper...

Please let me know what you guys think about my chances. Any input would be appreciated...

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I know things dont look good
Huh? In what way? You said nothing about how you did on clinical rotations, which is the most important part of your application, but the only "weakness" of your application that I can see is that you will need a J1, but I suspect many programs are equipped to deal with that to some extent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for both your replies...

Being an IMG I have always been given the impression that transcripts from a non-US system of medical education are not very well understood by US residency selection committees so they rely more on an IMGs USMLE performance to judge how strong an applicant they are. At my medical school, I usually got marks in the late 70s in most of my rotations ( similar to a high pass) Very few students score an 80 or above.(similar to honors but they are not called that...only one student is granted an official honors in pediatrics each year and that was not me..I scored a 78) Marks above 90 are very rare in any rotation. I hope that helps with your query...

Thank you for remembering my post in May Oldbearprofessor! I appreciate your reply..do you think I should apply even broader? above 70 programs?

IMG -non us citizen from india

step 1 score 203
other steps awaited

3 years MD in obgyn from india
6 month diploma in clinical research
fellowship in palliative medicine
post graduate diploma in businees management (equivalent to distance MBA )
5 publications (all in obgyn) out of which 2 in american journal & 1 british & rest indian
12 papers and poster presentation ( all in obgyn ,all in india) , best pAper presentation prize winner

NEVER BEEN TO US (NO USCE , US LOR , ETC)....
2 LOR FROM MY PEDIATRIC FACULTY OF MY MED GRADUATE SCHOOL
4 LOR FROM OBGYN FACULTY FROM MY POST GRAD SCHOOL

I HAVE GIVEN UP HOPES OF MATCHIN IN OBGYN IN US WITH SUCH LOW SCORES .... CAN I MATCH INTO PAEDS WITH THIS SCORE AND A BACKGROUND LIKE MINE
PLEASE DO REPLY ..WHAT TO DO ..HOW TO IMPROVE...

Hi,

I'm in interested in pediatrics and have a few questions.

1. How many places should I apply to?

I've applied to 9 DO programs and will be applying to 9 MD programs. I only took the COMLEX boards - 692 (Level 1), 678 (Level 2). Quiet person in general, but am enthusiastic on rotations, always on time/early. I've done generic volunteering experience with the exception of a medical mission for 2 weeks in Peru. I came straight from undergrad so do not have any real work experience or research.

2. How long after a program downloads your application should you expect to get an interview offer if you are going to get one?

Of the 9 DO programs I applied to in July - 8 have downloaded my application and I have only received 1 interview offer. Should I start to be concerned that the other programs are not going to offer me an interview?

3. Should I apply to family med as a back-up?

Thanks for the help!!

Hi,
I am going for this year's pediatric match. Please let me know what you guys think of my credentials:

Step 1 228-first attempt
Step 2 235-first attempt
USCE: 3 months of hands on in peds cardio, peds GI and peds pulmo..4 strong US LORS 1 very strong LOR from home school from an American trained pediatrician

I know things dont look good but I know I can present myself much more convincingly during interviews than on paper...

Please let me know what you guys think about my chances. Any input would be appreciated...

I have mentored two IMGs who have matched at excellent pediatric residency programs, with USMLE scores lower than yours-- they applied to 90+ programs, including the Canadian match, with excellent results. As they started getting interviews, they pared down and started turning down some interviews based on order of preference.

Your scores are good, you have great LORs, I feel strongly that with strong interviews you will match. I don't know you, but based on the data provided, chances are good.

Good luck.

Hi,

Step 1 228-first attempt
Step 2 235-first attempt

You are going to be fine :)
IMG -non us citizen from india

step 1 score 203
other steps awaited

3 years MD in obgyn from india
6 month diploma in clinical research
fellowship in palliative medicine
post graduate diploma in businees management (equivalent to distance MBA )
5 publications (all in obgyn) out of which 2 in american journal & 1 british & rest indian
12 papers and poster presentation ( all in obgyn ,all in india) , best pAper presentation prize winner

NEVER BEEN TO US (NO USCE , US LOR , ETC)....
2 LOR FROM MY PEDIATRIC FACULTY OF MY MED GRADUATE SCHOOL
4 LOR FROM OBGYN FACULTY FROM MY POST GRAD SCHOOL

I HAVE GIVEN UP HOPES OF MATCHIN IN OBGYN IN US WITH SUCH LOW SCORES .... CAN I MATCH INTO PAEDS WITH THIS SCORE AND A BACKGROUND LIKE MINE
PLEASE DO REPLY ..WHAT TO DO ..HOW TO IMPROVE...
Really what you need to do at this point is do better on Step 2 CK and get some US clinical experience. You obviously have a very interesting background and are well-versed in research and could do well if you have a decent improvement on step 2 and get USCE.

If I enter and rank programs for the DO match and don't match could I re-rank them in the MD match if they are dual accredited?

If I enter and rank programs for the DO match and don't match could I re-rank them in the MD match if they are dual accredited?

Yes you can. You get two chances to match in those programs.

Judging by your scores, I'd say you're going to match if you enter the DO match.