pediatric radiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molson87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody know the best way to proceed through a residency like this.............would it be radiology first then peds or the other way around.....and are there any combined programs like this around the country........thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

It's a one-year fellowship after completing a diagnostic radiology residency -- you are (appropriately) more radiologist than pediatrician.

Pediatric radiologists are trained to read neuroimaging, but I have occasionally come across pediatric neuroradiologists -- I don't know if this is another fellowship after the pediatric fellowship, or before, or what.

bpkurtz

Pediatric neuroradiology is at least one more year after the pedi fellowship (which is of course, after a rads residency). Pediatric neuroradiologists are few in this country. They are truly the lone few of their specialty....I think there are only several dozen in the entire country (who are boarded in that).

Rastelli, there is no boards for pediatric neuroradiology. The vast majority of pediatric neuroradiologists are neuroradiologists by training which have focused on peds neuroradiology. Very few are pediatric radiologists by training. You can do peds neuro after a year of pediatric radiology, but most people will be neuroradiology fellowship trained (which I think is more appropriate). There are 10 peds neuroradiology fellowship programs around, but only 2 or 3 will get fellows, because it's an extra year and a lot of neuroradiology fellowships prepare you for doing peds neuroradiology anyway. The largest pediatric neuroradiology program is the one at CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia). By this July, they will have five full-time pediatric neuroradiology faculty and three pediatric neuroradiology fellows. Other slightly smaller, but notable ones are at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Children's Hospital Medical Center in Boston. UCSF has a prominent attending (Jim Barkovich), but he's the only one.

To the original poster, the way to be a pediatric radiologists is a one-year pediatric radiology fellowship after a radiology residency. After that you will be eligible to take the CAQ examination in pediatric radiology.