This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMehl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am currently in the midst of setting up interviews for pediatric residency programs. There are a few I am very interested in that haven't gotten back to me yet. I am planning on getting in touch with the program coordinators soon. I am wondering if anyone who has experience can provide some insight about academics, mentorship, research opportunities, resident life, (or anything really!) on the following programs, so that I know more before diving into the email. Thanks in advance!!

EVMS
Duke University
MUSC
ECU
North Shore LIJ
University of Hawaii
Oregon Health & Science

Members don't see this ad.

If you look on each program's website, you can find a detailed explanation about their academics, mentorship, research opps, resident life, etc. I guess if you want first-hand experience from students or residents, you can also try searching the Pediatrics forum for this information from previous years, interview impressions, etc.

I think it's a good idea for you to start emailing program coordinators if you're genuinely interested in these programs. I know that the interview schedule for North Shore LIJ is pretty much full except for a few dates in January (last time I checked). If you contact them they may be able to offer you one of those spots or a chance to be on the wait list. Can't hurt at this point IMO! :)

If you look on each program's website, you can find a detailed explanation about their academics, mentorship, research opps, resident life, etc. I guess if you want first-hand experience from students or residents, you can also try searching the Pediatrics forum for this information from previous years, interview impressions, etc.

I think it's a good idea for you to start emailing program coordinators if you're genuinely interested in these programs. I know that the interview schedule for North Shore LIJ is pretty much full except for a few dates in January (last time I checked). If you contact them they may be able to offer you one of those spots or a chance to be on the wait list. Can't hurt at this point IMO! :)

Thanks! Yes I've done my research on each program's website. Just wanted some first hand experience so it doesn't sound like I am just quoting from the website. About NS-LIJ , thanks for the info! How do you "check" if their interview schedule is full??

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told to research the program's websites prior to interviews and pick out certain things I like about the program in order to show my interest in that program during my interview. Of course you never wanna quote directly from the website, but you can always paraphrase or say how that particular thing about the program applies to your personal interests. Or you can always link that back to your application. For example, if you've done a lot of global health work and the program you're interested in offers a global health track, you can say how you want to continue working on global health issues during residency and that this specific program would be a good fit for you because it offers that track.

Also, Hofstra uses an online scheduling tool (Thalamus) so I'm able to see what dates are free

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think we should email to the program coordinators or program directors (if email is provided on the websites)?

Do you think we should email to the program coordinators or program directors (if email is provided on the websites)?

I think calling program coordinators is the most sincere. Not sure if calling versus email makes a difference, but calling is extra effort on you part so for some reason I feel like programs appreciate it more

I did residency at EVMS/CHKD, and can tell you it's a great place. The program director is incredibly nice, and the department chair (who used to be PD) still takes active interest in the residents. They really care about the people, education and mentorship. The hospital is the referral center for a pretty broad range, so they get to see pretty much everything, and they are also well connected with the community pediatricians. There are also very few fellows, so it's very definitely a resident run hospital.

Reactions: 1 users