Pediatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gigigirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i was wondering if there is a difference between behavioral and developmental pediatric psychology or if they address the same areas of pediatric psychology. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

IMO Behavioral peds will focus on types of behaviors (normative, atypical and maladaptive) - not sure if the program you're referring to will license you for behavioral interventions (as a subspecialty of clinical psychology or whether this is a research program). Developmental peds will focus on normative developmental (cognitive, emotional and behavioral) and derivations from the norm (i.e., atypical). Again, don't know if this is a subspecialty that will allow you to treat or if it is purely research and advisement to a clinical team.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information, i was thinking more in terms of internship sites and what sort of experiences they have to offer

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the information, i was thinking more in terms of internship sites and what sort of experiences they have to offer

You're welcome. But, I'm still unclear if these are clinical, counseling or school sites that are geared toward treatment/intervention because a developmental psychologist or behavioral psychologist does not practice clinically or accrue hours for licensure unless they are part of clinical/counseling/school program IME. I consider developmental, behavioral psych and other PhD psych programs mainly academic or research-based, not clinical. (But someone correct me please, if I am misguided.) Most sites will take clinical, counseling or school psych applicants for internship, and there are 'child tracks' versus 'adult tracks,' within those specific tracks are clinics are that are focused on developmental or behavioral pediatric rotations. Again, I would think the same categorization applies...that the behavioral peds sites would be more focused on behavioral interventions (like CBT) and developmental peds may be more focused on developmental disabilities.

For internship, sites usually (at the very least they should) have thorough descriptions about what their sites will offer trainees and the minimal requirements to be considered at those sites for interviews. Also, look up the stats on who they generally take year after year. If you are a school psych doctoral student interested in development peds, and they have a consistently high number of interns each year, that site would be great for you to target. But, your best bet is to read through their site descriptions - they should be very explicit because no one wants to waste anyone's time at that level of application/interviewing. And they are looking for a strong match, just as you are.

Last edited: