Pedo 2013 - Chyea!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alabama, 10/11, phone, 10/26 (social night before)
Baylor, 9/5, phone, 11/28 or 11/30
Bon Secours, 10/2, phone, 11/1, 11/2, 11/8, 11/9
Boston Children's Hospital (Harvard)- 10/30, email, 12/1 (dinner evening of 12/1)
Boston University, 10/18, email
Brookdale, 11/1, email, 12/6
Bronx Lebanon 10/25, phone, 11/12 AM or PM session
Buffalo, 9/25, email, 10/5, 10/12, 11/2, 11/9, 11/30, 12/1, 12/14, 12/15
Case Western 10/1 email, 10/7 interview
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 10/16, email, 11/16, 11/30, 12/14 (social night before)
Children's National DC, 10/18, email, 11/16 or 12/7 (social night before)
Children's Mercy,10/4, email interview 10/26, 11/26
Children's of Chicago (Ann & Robert H. Lurie's Children's Hospital), 10/19, phone call, 11/16 (social night before) [/B]
Cincinnati, 9/25 email, 11/5, 12/3 (social night before)
Colorado, 10/12 email, 11/5 (social night before)
Connecticut, 10/10, email, 11/5, 11/19, 12/3
Geisinger Medical Center, 10/3 email, 11/15 or 11/16 (social night before)
Georgia, 9/27, email, 11/13 or 11/14 (social night before)
Houston 10/4, phone, 11/1 (social night before)
Indiana, 9/26, email, 10/29 or 11/9 (socials before)
Iowa, 9/25, phone. 10/15 interview with 10/14 social
Jacobi Medical Center, 10/22, email, 11/5, 11/19, 12/3,12/10
Kentucky, 10/12, email, 11/16
LIJ/Cohen Children's Medical Center, 10/26, 12/7 with dinner 12/6
Loma Linda, 9/19, email
Louisville, 9/26 email, 10/24 (social night before)
LSU, 10/12, phone, 11/15, 11/16
Lutheran Medical Center - Alaska, 9/19, call and email following, 10/16 and 10/17
Lutheran Medical Center - Brooklyn, 9/19, phone, 10/30 (social 10/31)
Lutheran Medical Center - Hawaii, 8/27, email, 10/20 (social 10/19)
Lutheran Medical Center - Maine, 9/5, email, 11/12 or 11/13 (social 11/12)
Lutheran Medical Center - Maryland Site, 8/18, email, 11/19 or 11/20 (social 11/19)
Lutheran Medical Center - Massachusetts, 9/10, email, 11/15 (social 11/15)
Lutheran Medical Center - Rhode Island, 9/21, email, 10/29 or 10/30 (social night before)
Lutheran Medical Center - Tucson Site, 8/23, phone, 10/24 or 10/25 (social night before)
Miami Children's Hospital, 10/1, phone, 11/1 (social night before)
Milwaukee Childrens, 10/5, phone, "november and december dates"
Montefiore/Albert Einstein, 10/24, email, 11/28, 11/29, 12/12 or 12/13 with social the night before
Mount Sinai, 10/19, email, 12/6 (social night before)
MUSC-9/27 email. 11/12-11/13 or 11/19-11/20
New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia - 11/5, email, 12/6, 12/12, 12/13
Nova, 10/12, email, November 8 (social night before)
NYU - 10/15, email, Nov 19,30 or Dec 3
Ohio State, 9/26, phone, 10/8 or 11/5. Social night before
Oregon Health Science U., 10/22, phone, 11/15-11/16
Rochester, 9/26, email, October 29, November 5, November 12, November 26
San Antonio, 9/20, phone, 11/9 (social night before)
Staten Island, 11/6, email, 12/4
St. Barnabas Hospital, 10/10, email, interview dates 11/26, 12/10, 12/19, no evening social
St. Christopher's, 10/15, Snail Mail, Interview date 11/16 with social the night before
Stony Brook, 10/16, email, 11/13 am or pm, evening social the night before
Temple, 10/16, email, Interview dates every monday from 11/12 to 12/17
Tennessee, 9/19, phone, 11/2 or 11/5
Toledo, 9/25, phone, 10/19 (social night before)
Tufts, 9/19, email, 10/26 or 11/2
UI Chicago, 10/16 email, 11/5, 11/6, 11/7 (social night before)
UNC, 8/29, phone, 11/1-11/2
USC - 10/18 email. Nov 1st, Nov 8th, Nov 15th, Nov 29th, Dec 6th (optional social night before)
UCLA-Venice 10/22, email, 11/29 (no social mentioned)
UCLA- Westwood, 10/22, email, 11/29 or 11/30 (dinner evening of 11/29)
UCSF- 10/25, email, 12/3 or 12/4 (dinner evening before)
University of Florida, Gainesville 10/11, email, 11/16, 11/19 (social the night before)
University of Florida, Naples 10/12, email, 12/7 (social the night before)
University of Maryland, Baltimore 10/11, email, 11/12, 11/16, 11/19
University of Michigan, 9/30, phone, 10/29-10/30 or 11/12-11/13 ("one and a half day" long interview)
University of Minnesota, 10/1, email
University of Nebraska Medical Center, 10/12, email, 11/16 (social night before)
UN Las Vegas 10/23 email, 11/27 with social same night
UPenn, 10/9, email, 11/29 (social the night after)
University of Pittsburgh- 9/14, snail mail, 11/2 or 11/9 (social night before)
VCU, 9/20, phone 10/29 or 11/2 (social night before)
Washington, 9/29, e-mail, 10/15 (social night before), 12/3
Yale, 10/9, email, 12/6, 12/13

Talk about a crazy turn of events. I interviewed with University of Louisville at the end of October. One of their current first year students left the program, and they called me to immediately fill the spot. So I am starting at the University of Louisville this January! Words of wisdom for the applicants next year. Buy the insurance on the plane tickets. I would be a thousand dollars richer if I had paid 45 dollars to insure the tickets. In addition, your interview dates will overlap and change.....please buy the insurance. I wish everyone the best of luck in match and cant wait to sign on here and see where everyone ends up.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome tiger pedo! Congrats! Must be a very exciting time! Good luck in the new position and the transition. Another travel tip for future years, book southwest if you can even though it may be a little pricier they don't charge fees to change travel.

Talk about a crazy turn of events. I interviewed with University of Louisville at the end of October. One of their current first year students left the program, and they called me to immediately fill the spot. So I am starting at the University of Louisville this January! Words of wisdom for the applicants next year. Buy the insurance on the plane tickets. I would be a thousand dollars richer if I had paid 45 dollars to insure the tickets. In addition, your interview dates will overlap and change.....please buy the insurance. I wish everyone the best of luck in match and cant wait to sign on here and see where everyone ends up.

Travel insurance did not work for me. Apparently it has to be a medical reason or else it doesn't count. I lost 600 dollars on a flight even though I had travel insurance. :idea:

Anyone get a position to Toledo?
Or an interview at MetroHealth?

Hey guys

does each program rank every single person they interview?

I'm trying to enter my rank list, but non of the Lutheran programs are coming on match website, anybody knows what's the deal with that?

Hey guys

does each program rank every single person they interview?

No, in fact my programs interviews 50 and only ranks 15. Some of my other friends at other programs have said similar things. It surprises me that programs don't go deeper into the rank.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, in fact my programs interviews 50 and only ranks 15. Some of my other friends at other programs have said similar things. It surprises me that programs don't go deeper into the rank.

Buffalo?

I heard 60-70 when I was there, but no official #.

From what I know, Buffalo ranks around 20-25 out of the people that they interview. Other programs have said that they rank only 15-20 out of the 30ish people they interview. It's definitely not a super long list of every single person interviewed

Happy holidays everyone! The time to submit our rank order list is upon us. What are your thoughts about
1) ranking as Match suggests, which is to rank based on personal preference or
2) rank the programs which you believe desire you/ might have given you strong hints/indication that they like you

Thoughts?

Happy holidays everyone! The time to submit our rank order list is upon us. What are your thoughts about
1) ranking as Match suggests, which is to rank based on personal preference or
2) rank the programs which you believe desire you/ might have given you strong hints/indication that they like you

Thoughts?

I went with #1. Reading the match algorithm info, it is in your benefit to rank the schools in the order which you prefer them. I had a long discussion with my school's program's director about this. If a program really wants you, but you rank them low, you're still likely to end up there if nowhere higher on your list. So why rank them high even if there are other places you might have preferred more? Would you rather spend forever wondering if you might have gotten into your true top choice if you had ranked it #1?

I submitted my rank list last week... can't say it wasn't nerve-wracking!! GL everybody, hoping that January 28th brings us all good news :)

http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/aboutalg.html <- everybody should read this if you haven't yet

Hey yall, Happy Holidays.

I know everyone is putting their lists in order and I figured this might be a good way to share last minute experiences or info regarding programs since we all have unique perceptions/experiences with different places.

Does anyone have any negatives regarding South Carolina or UF Gainesville that they have heard or picked up on first hand? I really loved both programs and have my order pretty set, just interested to hear any other opinions. Feel free to PM me.

edit: oh and I am definitely ranking programs in the way that I would prefer to attend without any thought to how they are going to rank me. I am convinced that if you do this then (according to Match rules) you will end up at your most preferred location possible.

Hey yall, Happy Holidays.

I know everyone is putting their lists in order and I figured this might be a good way to share last minute experiences or info regarding programs since we all have unique perceptions/experiences with different places.

Does anyone have any negatives regarding South Carolina or UF Gainesville that they have heard or picked up on first hand? I really loved both programs and have my order pretty set, just interested to hear any other opinions. Feel free to PM me.

edit: oh and I am definitely ranking programs in the way that I would prefer to attend without any thought to how they are going to rank me. I am convinced that if you do this then (according to Match rules) you will end up at your most preferred location possible.

The major downside to the UF programs is that moonlighting is not allowed. So you have to decide if you can live on $35,000 per year. That might be doable right out of school, but I know that many dentists coming out of private practice to go into a residency would have a tough time living on that amount. If you have a family that could also be a stretch. The Gainesville location is a college town that is a couple of hours away from any major cities, so that might also factor into your decision. Other than that it is a pretty good program.

I don't have any first hand knowledge about the South Carolina program, but I have heard that it is also pretty good.

Good luck to everyone!

So, our OMFS friends on another thread are talking about programs contacting you and telling you they are ranking you. This is obviously the first year they are 'allowed' to do this as per Match. Any programs out there telling interviewees that they're being ranked? Rochester is the only one I went to that later sent us an email telling us yes we're ranking you/no we're not ranking you. I also got an email from Temple just reminding me what their program # is, but not specifying anything else. Anybody get any phone calls or emails from programs?

Oh yeah... T minus 1 month til that magical match day :)

So, our OMFS friends on another thread are talking about programs contacting you and telling you they are ranking you. This is obviously the first year they are 'allowed' to do this as per Match. Any programs out there telling interviewees that they're being ranked? Rochester is the only one I went to that later sent us an email telling us yes we're ranking you/no we're not ranking you. I also got an email from Temple just reminding me what their program # is, but not specifying anything else. Anybody get any phone calls or emails from programs?

Oh yeah... T minus 1 month til that magical match day :)

Just heard from Rochester. No other programs that I have I interviewed at have made reference to the new policy.

Good luck with your Match list everyone, Jan. 28 is almost here!!!!

I wanted to get some of your thoughts on Milwaukee Childrens and Ohio State. I loved both, but wanted to see if anyone had some opinions about them. Thanks alot

I wanted to get some of your thoughts on Milwaukee Childrens and Ohio State. I loved both, but wanted to see if anyone had some opinions about them. Thanks alot

I won't be able to sleep on the 26th and 27th. Good luck everyone!!!

Last edited:
I've never been so indecisive in my life...such a big life-decision! GL everyone!

does anyone know if buffalo's pdo program charges tuition? the aapd website said it does but i remember in the interview they didnt say it did

Loved Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. I felt like Dr. Post was among the best program directors (at least from what I was able to assess during the interview), and was someone I'd like to work with. Strong family atmosphere, in my opinion.

does anyone know if buffalo's pdo program charges tuition? the aapd website said it does but i remember in the interview they didnt say it did

From the AAPD site...: Tuition is approximately $31,500 for in-state students and $36,800 for out-of-state students in the M.S. program. There is no tuition for certificate students.

There is no tuition for Buffalo's pedo program. You are paid a stipend. The tuition is if you want to pursue a Master's degree through University at Buffalo while obtaining your pedo certificate, but a Master's degree is not a mandatory pursuit. Yeah, it is worded a little weirdly at first glance on the AAPD page. Hope this helps.

got it. thank you.

From the AAPD site...: Tuition is approximately $31,500 for in-state students and $36,800 for out-of-state students in the M.S. program. There is no tuition for certificate students.

There is no tuition for Buffalo's pedo program. You are paid a stipend. The tuition is if you want to pursue a Master's degree through University at Buffalo while obtaining your pedo certificate, but a Master's degree is not a mandatory pursuit. Yeah, it is worded a little weirdly at first glance on the AAPD page. Hope this helps.

so after we certify our list and get a confirmation email, that's it??

sixteen-candles-poster.jpg

I received a PM question about “how far down the rank list” most programs go in order to fill all of their positions. There is a lot of speculation, but not a lot of hard data out there. Here’s what the official Match statistics say. Check out the statistics at the very bottom of this page http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/stats/2012progstats.html under "Distribution of the Ratio of the Least Preferred Matched Rank to the Number of Positions Filled"

It gives the ratio for how far down the list programs have to go in order to fill all of their positions.

There are 78 Pedo programs in the Match. The top 19 programs had to rank between 1 and 1.5 applicants per available position in order to fill their class. So for example, if a program has 6 available positions and they are one of those top 19 schools, then they would go down to somewhere between number 6 and 9 on their ranked applicants list in order to fill their class.

16 programs had to rank between 1.5 and 2 applicants per spot in order to fill their class. So again, using the example of 6 open spots, these programs would go down to somewhere between 9 and 12 applicants on their rank list in order to fill all of their spots.

Another 16 programs had to rank between 2 and 2.5 applicants per spot. So they would go down to between #12 and #15 to fill their class.

Those first three groups make up 51 of the 78 pedo programs. So it is safe to say that the vast majority of programs have to rank between 1 and 2.5 people per offered position in order to fill their classes. Most will not be going very far down the list, but that doesn’t mean that they will be getting all of their top choices.

I hope this helps! Or at least gives everyone something else to obsess about until Match day. ;)

Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
You know, the 2012 pedo thread is still stickied while this one floats around in the ether, how do we find someone to switch that?

woo stickied! moving up into the big time y'all

It's about time! We made it to a whole 11 pages before being stickified. Are we gonna make a separate Match thread or just post all our match results here?

Eight-Crazy-Nights.jpg

...the actual movie aside, I thought "crazy nights" was very applicable.... am I the only one who keeps having weird Match related dreams? Sometimes I receive the "Rew, YOU SHALL NOT MATCH!" email in my dreams, and other times I match to my #1, and then I've also had dreams of matching to programs lower on my list; and a friend of mine had a dream I matched to a program I didn't even apply to (I hope that isn't foretelling my need to post-match! LOL!)

I just want to knowwwwwww

Status
Not open for further replies.