Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Pedophilia in the DSM V

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by briarcliff, 12.04.12.

1. briarcliff

briarcliff Gold Donor

Pre-Psychology
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    My boyfriend showed me this article about pedophilia in the DSM-V, and I wanted to see what people's thoughts were:

http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/15/conference-aims-to-normalize-pedophilia/
  2. erg923

erg923 Psychologist-Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    That article is a over a year old and Pedophilia was kept in the DSM for its 5th revision. Name changed to "Pedophillic Disorder."
  3. Ollie123

Ollie123

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Certainly controversial if they were to do it (though I don't think they are?). There is plenty of good discussion to be had on the topic and I think there is merit to both sides. However the article is quite clearly trash and contributes nothing to that discussion. I'd have to dig into the literature a bit to know the exact rationale for its removal and likely ramifications, but I certainly don't trust anything from that article.
  4. KillerDiller

KillerDiller

Post Doc
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm thoroughly confused my this article's claims. How would removing pedophilia from the DSM decriminalize child molestation? If anything, wouldn't it reduce the probability of a successful insanity plea? Most criminal acts aren't in the DSM; it doesn't stop them form being prosecuted.

For the record, I'm aware that defendants who successfully use an insanity defense don't get away scott free anyway.
  5. briarcliff

briarcliff Gold Donor

Pre-Psychology
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That was my take too - Homosexuality was removed from the DSM in the 70's, but sodomy laws weren't 'officially' taken off the books until Lawrence v. Texas in '02

DSM dx does not equal criminal charge.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal