Peds Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is the fellowship? How's the job market? Easy to find work at a children's hospital? If you end up wanting a more general practice, is there a good market for a token pediatrics person in most private groups?

Members don't see this ad.

We had >15 applicants for each position. So it's competitive at some programs. The last data I saw posted here was a couple years old and I think had a 75% match rate. I suspect there are more applicants now, but I don't know that to be true.
All the fellows get jobs and usually have multiple offers, and I've had people try to recruit me out of my practice as recently as this year, so the jobs are out there. Our fellows go into PP, academics, all peds, and combined practice groups.
The only fellows that seem to stress about jobs are the ones that limit themselves to a single city, and they've still gotten jobs in the area.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the bigger question is: Will peds (or any subspecialty of anesthesia, for that matter) be safe from mid-level encroachment over the next 10...15...20 years?

The likelihood of significant mid level encroachment at the large Children's Hospitals is zero. We use CRNAs, but the nature of the patient population will keep them from independent practice. We don't even staff at more than 2:1 and we certainly don't train them to be independent.
If you want to take care of healthy kids, do a lot of ASC work and outpatient surgery, you don't need a fellowship, and shouldn't expect to offer much more than mid levels will be able to convince the CEO that they have.
If you want to do real "advanced pediatric anesthesia" and work at a large referral hospital, you should be in great shape. No weekend workshops and online degrees will get them there in my lifetime.

Reactions: 2 users
No nurse wants to do sick peds. If they want my case load just try and convince the surgeons and hospital staff that there is even an iota of equivalency. Last month alone:CDH repair, mediastinal tumor w airway compromise, numerous neonatal surgeries preformed w sab. Even one full day of private practice peds (10-14) cases per day with the high acuity will make these nurses drop a load in there pants that was twice as big as the 400g micro preme PDA i did yesterday. You need to position yourself as an expert in your field. Young residents don't be stupid do a fellowship and become an expert. That's how we assure employment in 20 yrs.

Reactions: 4 users
Bump.
Current CA1 interested in peds vs PP in the Midwest. Anyone know how competitive fellowship match is? How's the current job market?

Bump.
Current CA1 interested in peds vs PP in the Midwest. Anyone know how competitive fellowship match is? How's the current job market?
NRMP (2017):

ZPHrIAC.jpg

Reactions: 1 user