Peds intern- when to take step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedstar09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be starting my intern year this year. As I am getting ready to think about my schedule and vacation and off times, when is a good time to take step 3? How much preparation is required for a Peds intern who will presumably forget a few things in adult world?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the exam in August of my PGY-2 year. I personally didn't want the hassle of trying to study for Step 3 during intern year but also didn't want to wait too long and forget even more about adult medicine. Looking back, I think this was an ideal time. Many of my residency colleagues also took it during the summer or fall of second year.

You shouldn't need more than a few weeks to study, and presumably you'll focus on the stuff that you don't deal with routinely in pediatrics. Remember, this is a test that you just need to pass. You don't have to ace it. I used UWorld questions and FirstAid.

I took it at the end of my intern year, but I don't think it matters much. Late intern year or early second year. It really just depends when you feel confident. Just make sure you study!