Peds or Psych as a New Mom?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jane70

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.......thanks in advance for thoughts and advice....

I am pregnant now, due this fall of 4th year. I was leaning towards psych, probably child/adolescent, but I also really enjoyed peds. They are truly very neck and neck and I just can't decide between them.

The decision time is looming and I really think a deciding factor will be which one is the "kindest" so to speak in terms of schedule/lifestyle as a new mom? Understanding that there are differences b/w programs, which in general would you say would be the easiest/nicest hours? (I know residency is residency and none will be "easy" but that being said.....)

any thoughts are much appreciated as this decision is becoming very stressful!

Members don't see this ad.

You could make do a joint program if you like both? I'm sure both of them are family friendly in some regards depending on the programs. I wish we could make a decision for you but I've heard both programs (depending on where) that are family friendly due to hours. I think this is more of a question of where do you feel you'd rather fit? medicine or psych?

Hello all.......thanks in advance for thoughts and advice....

I am pregnant now, due this fall of 4th year. I was leaning towards psych, probably child/adolescent, but I also really enjoyed peds. They are truly very neck and neck and I just can't decide between them.

The decision time is looming and I really think a deciding factor will be which one is the "kindest" so to speak in terms of schedule/lifestyle as a new mom? Understanding that there are differences b/w programs, which in general would you say would be the easiest/nicest hours? (I know residency is residency and none will be "easy" but that being said.....)

any thoughts are much appreciated as this decision is becoming very stressful!

I would say psych has the advantage over peds of easier/nicer hours in both residency and beyond. Call is usually less frequent and generally speaking, there are less floor emergencies with psych patients than with peds inpatient. (I feel that good psych nurses really can handle quite an incredible amount before needing to call the MD.) Hours in general seem more flexible and self-determined in psych (esp. if you considered doing a private practice). While both are low paying on average for physicians, I imagine you'd pull in a little bit more with psych vs. gen peds.

both are great fields but i think psych is definitely the eaiser/more family friendly. (of course, PLENTY of peds residents have children and do just fine. it's still not like surgery or something.)

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i'm leaning toward the psych route.......i do like them both but psych seems a bit more mangeable and for me, more tolerable. any other women out there thinking psych?

Training is just 3 years...bigger question is which is more family friendly for the 25 years you will practice? Most larger Peds groups will have a night service with the local children's hospital. Call is just evenings and a rare weekend on a pager. Psych on the other hand, means middle of the night calls. Which rotation makes you really excited about getting there?

With peds you'll bring home nice bugs to your kids...with psych...hopefully not.:D

Definitely Psych, not peds. You can get a job with no call commitments in psych, after the residency. And psych residency is definitely more family-friendly in terms of better hours and more flexibility. The point about bugs is true, too - when I was doing peds rotation, my three-year-old did not get out of sniffles - and that is staying home with my Mom! When I was doing psych, he was fine. Not a very scientific statement, but good anecdotal evidence:D

i think i'm leaning toward the psych route.......i do like them both but psych seems a bit more mangeable and for me, more tolerable. any other women out there thinking psych?

I'm a current mom who is seriously considering psych. I have a long ways to go before I decide, but I am really intrigued by psych and like the lifestyle it will likely provide. The other thing I like is surgery.... which is much less likely due to lifestyle reasons, but we'll see what I think when I get more experience in third and fourth year.