Coursework & Fieldwork Peds outpatient FW II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fafa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to start my 2nd Level II in a pediatric outpatient hospital setting. My first level II was in an adult acute setting, which was not really my cup of tea. Also, my CI was very harsh and we did not communicate that well. I passed, but it was a bumpy road to say the least. With tears.
For my second go at it, I want to prepare myself as much as possible to build my confidence. Regardless of whether my next CI will be reasonable/tyrannical/etc.., I can do my part to have a successful FW II and read up on developmental milestones, conditions, treatment approaches, etc. before I start.
What would you guys recommend I review before/during my FW? Its my last level II, so i reallly really want to step up my game as employment is right around the corner and i dont have that clinical confidence in my self.
i appreciate any advice, suggestions, etc!

Members don't see this ad.

Before my peds rotation I emailed my CI and asked what info they thought I should know - assessments, common conditions, their philosophy, etc. That was very helpful - things don't always make sense for me until I try them (hello, kinesthetic learner!), but it was very useful to at minimum be familiar with things before I started. Reviewing the developmental charts should be helpful as well.

It may also be useful to do some research on interventions and ideas for treatment - this way you can get an idea of what things to do to target various impairments. Having a few games in your head can be nice when your CI asks you what you would do! Just make sure you have a rationale for the ideas, so even if it is not the most appropriate for that child, your CI can see you were using your clinical judgement and reasoning. I don't know what types of functional impairment you will be seeing, but there seem to be several blogs and websites with ideas. Pinterest is also very useful for ideas, I used that site a TON in my peds rotation (and my other ones, actually ...). Good luck, and nice work being proactive about the placement!

Reactions: 1 user